Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:23:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ronin - First Foray into Wargaming (Now w/ the Undead!)  (Read 16388 times)

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
What a wonderful thread!
Really inspired after looking through this.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Great collection and I like your painting style.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Amazing work.

Just one question, did you use some sort of softening haze-like filter when taking those photos?  Or are my eyes acting up again?

Thanks

Dan

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
The Sohei are all Northstar games' sohei warband, while the Bandits/Pirates are all Perry miniatures (with some minor conversions to make them feel a little less like Ikko-Ikki and a little more like bandits!) with the exception of the senior ronin with forked Yari, who is a test of honour miniature. Also threw in a bonus shot of some probably incomplete parts of a bushi warband (still working on the red and might go back over the armor) and an unfinished unarmored ronin/sword school member.

Any suggestions for additions to my terrain collection, especially things I can make myself on the cheap? Beyond what I have shown I have some bamboo from ebay that just needs some painting and another 4ground peasant's house and Koryu Dojo, but I'd love to hear everyone's ideas to flesh everything out more! Thanks for looking!

Both Together:

I just realized, that I'll be using the same two buntai's to start my Ronin games with. Both will be from the Northstar sets though. What colors did you use for the skin tones here? They look fantastic.

Offline Charlemagne

• Assistant
I just realized, that I'll be using the same two buntai's to start my Ronin games with. Both will be from the Northstar sets though. What colors did you use for the skin tones here? They look fantastic.

Thanks so much, and that's cool to hear! Metternich will probably tell you that for balance you should be allowed to take the ronin as a senior (which is what North Star describes him as anyways, and will make for a clean 200 points with the units in the box).

As for skintone my process is somewhat complicated but only involves 1 paint + white and 2 washes:

I basecoat in Vallejo Game Extra Opaque "Heavy Skintone", then apply an all-over wash to the skin with army painter strong tone, then paint progressively higher highlights (3-4 times) of increasingly large mixes of white and the original heavy skintone to the point where the highlights are "a bit much", then re-unify the skintone with a decently substantial wash of army painter "flesh wash", which acts almost like a heavy glaze to bring the colors back together. I hope that helps!

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
What a simply amazing collection of minis.   Lovely painting, I’m in awe!

Offline sonicReducer

• Bookworm
I'll put in another about your amazing collection. Fantastic minis. How did you do your paddies? Those are something I'd like to add

I'm intrigued about Ronin. For small skirmish I've used Pulp Alley which worked really well.

Offline mikos khan

• Mad Scientist
Excellent paint jobs on the figs and the buildings & walls are very well done.   I especially like the rice paddies.   

Offline Charlemagne

• Assistant
Ronin - First Foray into Wargaming and a Playset Complete! (Now with Campaign!)
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2021, 01:55:53 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm preparing to host a mini-campaign of Sohei Vs. Bandits with my dad and some members of our local gaming club, so I've been better about finishing up some more minis to make sure we have a full list to choose from when it comes time! I'll make sure to take some better pictures of the actual table with all minis this Saturday, but in the meantime here's a teaser of some of the new bandits I've just painted up for the occasion.

For those who are interested, I am planning to have 2 ~400 point lists, one for each side, which will be split into 2 200 points per side battle, with a 3rd finale battle featuring all survivors (with a 50% chance for grievously wounded) fighting to determine the final winner. I have attached my best estimate for rosters based on the minis I have, and amazingly they are actually borderline legal rosters taken as a whole!

Bandits (399 Points, 19 Models):
(4x3) 3 Peasants: Improvised Weapons
(28) 1 Gashira: Teppo + Attribute + Medium Armor
(28) 1 Gashira: Naginata + Attribute + Medium Armor
(23) 1 Gashira: Naginata + Attribute + Light Armor
(23x2) 2 Gashira: Teppo + Light Armor
(25) 1 Gashira: Yumi + Medium Armor
(13) 1 Bandit: Katana + Light Armor
(18x3) 3 Bandits: Yari + Medium Armor
(16) 1 Bandit: Yari + Light Armor
(27) 1 Leader: Katana + Attribute + Heavy Armor
(23) 1 Ronin: Katana + 2 Attributes
(32) 1 Ronin: Naginata + 2 Attributes + Heavy Armor
(32) 1 Ronin: Yari + 2 Attributes + Heavy Armor
(40) 1 Senior Ronin: No-Dachi + 3 Attributes + Heavy Armor

Sohei (397 Points, 15 Models):
(19x2) 2 Initiates: Yumi + Medium Armor
(19x2) 2 Inititates: Teppo + Medium Armor
(19x3) 3 Initiates: Naginata + Medium Armor
(29x5) 5 Sohei: Naginata + Attribute + Medium Armor
(37x2) 2 Senior Sohei: Naginata + 2 Attributes + Medium Armor
(45) 1 Grandmaster: Tetsubo + 3 Attributes + Medium Armor

Bandits:
Bandit Player 1 Game 1 (99 Points, 4 Models):
(40) Senior Ronin
(18) Bandit (Yari+Med Armor)
(28) Gashira (Teppo+Med Armor+Attribute)
(13) Bandit (Katana)

Bandit Player 2 Game 1 (99 Points, 6 Models):
(32) Ronin (Yari)
(25) Gashira (Yumi+Med Armor)
(18) Bandit (Yari+Med Armor)
(16) Bandit (Yari+Light Armor)
(8 ) 2 Peasants

Bandit Player 1 Game 2 (100 Points, 5 Models):
(27) Leader
(23) Ronin (2 Attributes+No Armor)
(23) Gashira (Teppo)
(23) Gashira (Naginata+Attribute)
(4) Peasant

Bandit Player 2 Game 2 (101 Points, 4 Models)
(32) Ronin (Naginata)
(28) Gashira (Naginata+Medium+Attribute)
(23) Gashira (Teppo)
(18) Bandit (Yari+ Medium Armor)

Sohei:
Sohei Player 1 Game 1 (102 Points, 4 Models):
(45) Grandmaster
(38) 2 Initiates (Naginata)
(19) Initiate (Teppo)

Sohei Player 2 Game 1 (95 Points, 3 Models):
(37) Senior Sohei
(58) 2 Sohei

Sohei Player 1 Game 2 (106 Points, 4 Models):
(87) 3 Sohei
(19) Initiate (Yumi)

Sohei Player 2 Game 2 (94 Points, 4 Models):
(37) Senior Sohei
(19) Initiate (Teppo)
(19) Initiate (Naginata)
(19) Initiate (Yumi)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Not to speak too much like a proud dad, but Charlemagne's miniatures are really stunning.  Greatly looking forward to Saturday's game.  They are even more beautiful "in situ" with the appropriate Nipponese terrain. 

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
We wound up having three people per side for the game, so we had a single one-off game (vice the begining of  a campaign) to introduce the other players to the rules.  As Charlemagne noted, it was Bandits vs. Sohei (the Bandits having to try to steal a Buddha statue positioned in front of a small temple defended by the Sohei).  Once again the Bandits won (based on points awarded for kills), despite their failing in their principal aim of stealing the statue (although one bandit did successfully loot the body of a Sohei he had killed).  "Man of the match" was the Senior Ronin who (dressed in heavy armor and armed with the dreaded No-Dachi) personally accounted for a Senior Sohei (in medium armor and armed with a tetsubo), a Sohei, and an Initiate.  The Grandmaster (armed with a daisho and in heavy armor - a departure from the Ronin rules, but points paid for - and with a combat pool of 5 due to his various attributes-  was a threat in being in the center, although he never got to really display his Indomitable trait (due to care taken by the Bandits). It was a bloody contest (including the demise of the Bandit leader) and the Bandits twice had to roll for morale (with the Yari-equipped Ronin deciding that discretion was the better part of valor and it was better to live to fight another day) Fun game, and the club is going to do another. 

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
  Charlemagne reminded me that the Grandmaster did kill two ronins (an armored one with katana, and the unarmored ronin with katana).  In one of the games "might- have-beens," before joining the fight near the Buddha statue, the unarmored ronin (together with two lightly armored bandits) had flushed out a teppo-armed initiate, chased him down (the initiate had withdrawn) and killed him in a single blow.  As the teppo was still loaded, we later wondered what would have happened had the ronin picked it up and fired at the Grandmaster (who was less than 12 inches away).  I guess that makes up for the initial shot of the game, in which a Bandit Gashira (with sharpshooter skill) fired his teppo at medium range and seriously wounded one of the two Senior Soheis (his medium armor negated by the firearm).  A fun time.
   Given that we had six players (three per side), we used ALL the figures in Charlemagne's above post, adding the Grandmaster and a Temple Attendant to the Sohei side to even up the points, while the Bandits forfeited one peasant and some of them had their armor reduced from medium to light.  The Bandits'  band included the four Ronin - a senior Ronin with heavy armor, nodachi, and three attributes; two Ronin with heavy armor , two attributes each, one with a yari and one with naginata; and a Ronin in no armor, armed with his katana and with two attributes (one of which was Fast).  As noted above, the nodachi-wielding Senior Ronin was a killing machine.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 09:31:36 PM by Metternich »

Offline Charlemagne

• Assistant
Hi everyone, I had some more time on my hands while I'm prepping for the group to actually start a campaign next weekend, so I thought I'd take some glamor shots including the newly painted minis. Enjoy!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
as good as it gets.  :-*

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Lovely figures  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels