Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:35:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689308
  • Total Topics: 118272
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Eutaw Springs again  (Read 565 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Eutaw Springs again
« on: September 08, 2020, 03:32:02 PM »
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Re: Eutaw Springs again
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 04:36:07 PM »
I looked at Andy Callan’s paperboys Peninsular War rules for ideas on dealing with multiple combats.

Who fights: front line stands in contact and 1 overlap on each side.

If units attack multiple enemy units, both players should allow a readjustment to pitch one unit against one. If this is not possible, fight it as two separate combats, dividing the ‘bridging’ unit at the point of the junction.

In wargames, and possibly in real life too at this time, units would engage each other in a duel- like manner, so try to pitch one unit squarely against another rather than attacking areas of overlap where one unit faces a pair or more of enemies. If this does happen, or if two units say, attack a single larger unit spread out in line, treat the fights as separate actions, but a negative result, a fall back or rout to part of a unit will mean the whole unit must fall back etc. even if part of the unit was a success in combat against another opponent.

Morale: a unit can only be affected by one friendly unit retreating or routing. Use the one that has the worst impact.

My clarifications: Artillery fights as part of infantry within 2”. Deployed artillery that retreat or rout abandon guns. Limbered guns that rout abandon guns. Deployed artillery counts as 2 infantry stands, limbered artillery count as one. Cavalry stands count as two infantry stands.

Interesting: a Wally Simon idea – shuffle a deck with 3 red cards and 3 black cards. Red for the British, black for the colonists. First card drawn for your side is the fire card. Second is cavalry movement, third is infantry/artillery movement. Resolve combat as it occurs. After all movement, rally. Officers may move on any card.

It is supposed to storm tomorrow. perhaps I will run Eutaw Springs one more time with all of this above before packing the lads away.

Edit: I intend to have retreating/routing units move and cause morale effects as soon as the combat is resolved. I find doing that the following turn to be a recipe for forgetting stuff.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 04:40:08 PM by vtsaogames »