Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:52:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: finishing a small farmhouse build  (Read 1596 times)

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
finishing a small farmhouse build
« on: April 13, 2021, 07:56:16 PM »
In the last year most of the terrain I have built has been commercially available kits or small scatter pieces. I decided I needed to build something a bit more substantial and one thing I've wanted to try for a while is using tile grout as brick mortar for building construction. After spending an hour or so cutting bricks out of an insulation foam board with my hot wire cutter I knew I had plenty of building material to build something that I could play around with brick construction with. I started building following a relatively simple plan of making a two story house with an attached barn or shed. I like to use 1/16th inch styrene sheet to base my terrain and this project was no exception. From there the rest of the construction was the relatively simple matter of laying the individual bricks and building up the timber frame for the house structure. As I used PVA glue during construction I tended to work in a couple of quick 15 minute sessions throughout the day to allow for drying time. The roof is a styrene base with laser cut paper shingles.

After finishing the basic construction and paint I stepped away from the build for a good month or so and tinkered with other things. In the spirit of clearing off my workbench I figured I should sit down and finish the piece so that I can move on to other projects guilt free. The model is mostly done but still needs a touch up here and there, a chimney pot, some more plants and greenery, and possibly proper doors and windows if I feel like it. I built a wire tree armature to plant on the base. I just need to add foliage to it and plant it on the base. Hopefully I will finish the last remaining to do items soon and truly be done!

Below are a couple of pictures showing the build at present state and earlier on in construction.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: finishing a small farmhouse build
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 11:03:04 PM »
Looks pretty good as well.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline mikos khan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 12:32:07 AM »
Great job. 

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 03:20:35 AM »
Very nice.

Tony

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 08:12:14 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, all. I'll have to get the last couple bits finished up soon so I can put the piece to bed and move on to something else.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 07:48:21 AM »
Its looking great!

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 11:05:51 PM »
Its looking great!

Right on, thanks.

I installed the tree I built today and added a touch of moss here and there on the roof and eaves. I don't think I'll bother adding a door or window frames for now. I'd rather call this one good enough and move on to something else. I started out intending on building something completely different but didn't really have much of a plan. For the next piece I think I'll try to come up with and stick to a more clear end goal.  o_o

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 06:51:21 AM »
Your tree looks great and the moss is an excellent touch.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 07:08:22 AM »
Brilliant work! I love the different colours of stone! :-*

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 10:56:38 PM »
Your tree looks great and the moss is an excellent touch.

Thanks. It was way less annoying than expected making it with a wire armature, but the foliage I used is probably too delicate for heavy tabletop use.

Brilliant work! I love the different colours of stone! :-*

Thanks. I think the stone turned out alright, too. It's a pretty simple process that gives a good enough result for the tabletop.