Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:43:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tudorish Town (Three Dormer Window Roof FINISHED!)  (Read 6280 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Tudorish Town (Town House)
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2020, 10:04:29 AM »
Excellent.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2020, 07:58:53 PM »
are the dice towers going to be commercially available?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2020, 08:27:28 PM »
are the dice towers going to be commercially available?
It may well be, I do not have my own laser cutter, but Jim at Products For Wargamers kindly cuts my designs and anything he like of mine will find its way into his range.

Usually, he sells most of his stuff at shows up and down the UK, but...

I will get some finished pictures up here soon, then it is up to Jim to get it sprued and on his website, it is nearly done...

So much to do, so little time...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 08:41:09 AM »
That dice tower is a bit clever!

Here is why I do not purchase laser cut MDF building: they tend to look as if drawn with the help of a straight ruler, and that is not to my taste with pre-industrialisation buildings.

It would be nice to see more posts on how MDF buildings are treated and converted to look more organic, if you know what I mean.

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 03:49:22 PM »
That dice tower is a bit clever!

Here is why I do not purchase laser cut MDF building: they tend to look as if drawn with the help of a straight ruler, and that is not to my taste with pre-industrialisation buildings.

It would be nice to see more posts on how MDF buildings are treated and converted to look more organic, if you know what I mean.

Thanks, my "style" is evolving as I do more designs. The first Tudorish buildings I did were far too straight edged and did not look very authentic. These later designs have plenty of "freehand" for the beams, but the central building is still around a box. I am going to try some designs with leaning walls...

Something this wonky?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 10:58:12 PM by Coronasan »

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2020, 03:52:45 PM »
This Town House design is progressing, but I have found the roof made in one section warps a bit and does not sit flush on the balcony level, I need to make it in three sections I think.

Still lots of detail to add, but the stone effect around the arches looks pretty good.

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2020, 09:22:55 PM »
Too many builds in progress at the moment which are at various stages.

This one has been in limbo for a little while, but I think I can finish it off with the bits I have cut so far.

This build has the ground and first floors of two smaller buildings along with a wide second floor that will link across a road.

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2020, 09:59:42 PM »
I am working on the beams that go under each floor and around the outside of the main structure.

I have actually started with the roof and am working down, I am going to tile the roof with cardboard tiles and that will take a while.

When tiling a roof with cereal box card, I have so far always glued the shiny side down and painted the rougher side of the card. I have seen somewhere, the Terrain Tutor I think, that it is best to have the shiny side up. What is the consesus?

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2020, 09:15:33 AM »
The "bridge house" is coming along, I have the main structure finished and in the process of being painted.

The roof is a very wide expanse and I am going to use card tiles give it some texture.

I am also going to make some new large chimney stacks to be positioned on the roof slope rather than sitting on the ridge. This should help break up the large flat surfaces.

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
Re: Tudorish Town (Bridge House update)
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2020, 01:01:56 PM »
I have painting and putting together my Town House build, the ground and first floors anyway as I still have work to do on the roof.

I have found it easier to paint most of the components before sticking them together and then touching up the edges.

Ground floor

First floor

Stonework layer attaching to the ground floor.

Once the beams are added to the first floor, it is looking much better. I am still trying to come up with a design for the roof that I like, ideally I want it in once section, but currently am trying three sections.

The first floor goes either way around so the appearance changes quite a bit.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 01:03:37 PM by Coronasan »

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
Re: Tudorish Town (Town House - Ground and First Floor update)
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2021, 01:47:05 PM »
I have finally managed to get the redesigned roof section finished for my large Town House, I am quite happy with this version and will call it done.

So far it is just snapped together and is amazingly strong considering there is no glue in there yet.

I now need to take it apart again and paint it as I glue it.

Offline amunptah

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2021, 02:04:08 PM »
Are these easy to scale up or down once designed? Would love to purchase 15mm kits of these!

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2021, 08:26:53 AM »
Are these easy to scale up or down once designed? Would love to purchase 15mm kits of these!
I know Jim at Products For Wargamers has reduced 28mm designs down to 15mm before. Doing the core shell is easy enough I imagine, it is the window patterns and beams that would need to be redrawn so they do not get too thin. I will ask...

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2021, 04:47:59 PM »
I got some laser cut curved edge cardboard tiles as the thought of cutting these by hand gave me shivers. Cutting straight edged tiles is easy enough, but I really wanted some variety on the roofs on my models.

I tried them out on a small roof and they look really good.

I will get the roof painted over the weekend and then start thinking about buildign the rest of the house.

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2021, 11:05:01 PM »
Painted the roof of this Tiny House!

I tried painting individual tiles, took a while...and that is on a small roof.