Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:17:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689832
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: flexible skirmish ruleset with fantastical / horror elements  (Read 3335 times)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
flexible skirmish ruleset with fantastical / horror elements
« on: September 10, 2020, 09:10:45 AM »
going off in another direction -if I want an old west skirmish ruleset that allows for fantasy / horror elements , but isn't prescriptive in terms of bespoke miniatures/ cards etc, what's my best bet?

I picked up pdfs of FFoL and the horror supplement (and 'reloaded') from the 'vault' yesterday.

will those do (and what's the relationship between the 'core' ffol rules and 'reloaded' - and do they both allow for the integration of the 'horror' supplement?)  ?

I guess Dracula's America is another obvious one- just wonder if effectively you do need the 'official' figure packs, or if I could use my own and put together custom gangs?

any advice much appreciated.

[If this should be posted on the fantasy board, could a mod move it accordingly?]
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:17:59 AM by Bloggard »

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Re: flexible skirmish ruleset with fantastical / horror elements
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 09:20:33 AM »
You can definitely use your own models for Draculas America. There are specific types of model etc but they generally fit in with horror archetypes.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 09:52:34 AM »
I believe Pulp Alley has interest mechanics for horrors and cinematic events. You could check the free intro rules!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 10:54:56 AM »
thanks for the thoughts @Sir_Theo and Sangennaru.

hadn't thought of the specifically Pulp rules, although some of the figures from their range have caught my interest.

any clarification re: ffol reloaded and the still available 'core' rules, and which is best for integrating the 'horror' supplement?

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 11:11:40 AM »
Reloaded is the Old West 2and edition rules. The Core FfoL rules are intended to be a base set for creating your own settings, with genre specific supplements providing tailor made settings. The Tales of Horror book is one such setting, generally covering a Victorian Gothic Horror setting, but with all the information you need to introduce vampires, werewolves, necromancers, zombies, etc.

Core and Tales of Horror would be the 'standard's approach  I suppose.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 11:12:35 AM »
Reloaded is the Old West 2and edition rules. The Core FfoL rules are intended to be a base set for creating your own settings, with genre specific supplements providing tailor made settings. The Tales of Horror book is one such setting, generally covering a Victorian Gothic Horror setting, but with all the information you need to introduce vampires, werewolves, necromancers, zombies, etc.

Core and Tales of Horror would be the 'standard's approach  I suppose, though you could take all the ready made stuff from Re loaded too and throw that in.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 11:16:27 AM »
Elk101 beat me to it. ;)
 All our FFoL games involving horror/fantastical elements have used the core set with the horror supplement.

They are interchangeable so you can create your groups of figures using traits from either set and combine the two.

Our games  include Vampires in Victorian London or Werewolves Vs Knights  in the Middle Ages. AARs with more details on how we use the rules are on the Gothic board in various AARs.

If you want your games to have an Old West setting I’d still use the core set they cover everything in Reloaded but some of the rules have been updated which are in line with the horror supplement
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 11:19:08 AM by Malamute »
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 11:22:18 AM »

Core and Tales of Horror would be the 'standard's approach  I suppose.

I'd go with Core and Tales of Horror too.  The core will give you all you need for the Western element, and ToH will cover the occult elements. 

If you've got the money you could always get all 3  lol

I think I have all the rules from the FFoL stable and each book has something useful in it  :)
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 12:57:32 PM »
thanks chaps. Great stuff. Will start off with FFoL then.
I have bought all 3 (pdfs) !

Dracula's America looks very nicely done too, so would hope to pick those up at some point.

lingering over the Call of Cthulhu - Down Darker Trails (Old West) book/s too - as much for fluff and background as anything. Expensive tho'.
Hopefully adapting the content to a much simpler skirmish approach using FFoL.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 02:00:03 PM »
Tales of Horror is not setting specific. As Malamute said, we've done Medieval, Victorian and modern. There's even a video on YouTube where they did werewolves vs King Arthur. Once you have Core, you have the tools. All the supplements do is add fluff for each era/genre.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 03:03:55 PM »
If you want your games to have an Old West setting I’d still use the core set they cover everything in Reloaded but some of the rules have been updated which are in line with the horror supplement

thanks Malamute.

just to be clear - you're saying 'core' have been updated in line with horror ... ?

(and thanks@baronvonJ )

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 04:06:45 PM »
thanks Malamute.

just to be clear - you're saying 'core' have been updated in line with horror ... ?

(and thanks@baronvonJ )

Yes, the core set is the best one to use alongside ToH. You could use Reloaded, but some of the rules in Reloaded have been upgraded and improved which is what Core delivers. Core also includes old and modern weapons, armour etc whereas Reloaded is Old West specific.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 05:06:32 PM »
great, thanks.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 06:13:25 PM »
We’ve played lots of DAM, and its a good game, and its particular strength is in is background, and integration of those elements.

We’ve only recently found FFoL and I prefer it as a game system (there are certainly quite a few similarities with DAM, cards for activation, poly dice for quality). But I think there is more to FFoL as a game. But its a generic system with supplements, so there is less background. But if you are happy to provide this, then that’s not a problem!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 06:57:37 PM »
thanks for the comparison there, Fred. Certainly leaning towards FFoL.

But I would hope to pick-up DAM over time.