Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:53:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: UVS Oathmark - River Barge 18/06/2023  (Read 26551 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: UVS Oathmark - Revenant Infantry 19/12/2020
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2020, 05:09:03 PM »
Just to show that I can concentrate on one army at a time, here is the first Revenant Warrior.

Sprue photographs are available on the Fireforge website, and on my blog:https://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2020/12/fireforge-living-dead-warriors.html

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: UVS Oathmark - Goblin Infantry and Human Knights 21/12/2020
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2020, 06:30:34 PM »
First painted Goblin.

More and sprue pictures here: https://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2020/12/oathmark-goblins.html

Two Knights to command forces.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: UVS Oathmark - Undead Forces 28/12/2020
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2020, 01:37:42 PM »
Joriff the Necromancer leads his undead hordes to battle.

CUT!
Can you two, yes, you on the end, please stop gossiping!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2020, 01:45:30 PM »
Joriff the Necromancer leads his undead hordes to battle.

Looking good. They look very spry for their age ;)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2020, 02:21:35 PM »
This unit is coming along great!
I've also had my eye on cultist minis as the officers and heroes for the undead army. In fact, I think the frostgrave cultists sprue has bits to make them ghouls?

Oh, what's the white stuff you use to smooth out the area around the molded on base and the green renedra round it stands on? I see people use that stuff to take down the disparity between the two, but not sure what it is.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2020, 03:53:45 PM »
This unit is coming along great!
Thanks. I have another two ranks assembled (and one of them based), awaiting some warmer weather for undercoating etc. I also have a rank of cultists with hand weapons (which will also get shields) based, undercoated and Chaos Red painted.

I've also had my eye on cultist minis as the officers and heroes for the undead army. In fact, I think the frostgrave cultists sprue has bits to make them ghouls?
There are undead elements (heads and arms) on the sprue (which apparently I have not photographed - something for tomorrow). They are more skeleton than ghoul.

Oh, what's the white stuff you use to smooth out the area around the molded on base and the green renedra round it stands on? I see people use that stuff to take down the disparity between the two, but not sure what it is.
It is Standard (grey/green) Milliput two part epoxy putty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milliput
https://www.milliput.com
It is a composite material, I think the filler is porcelain. It makes it solid when set (unlike greenstuff which tends to be a bit flexible) and can machined and sanded once set.

For basing I mix about five to ten millimetres length from both sticks (one grey, one green) until an even colour then separate off a small amount, roll it and apply it to the base. Rinse and repeat. It can be worked (using water) like clay and texture applied with a scalpel, colour shaper or sculpting tool (probably anything you could texture Greenstuff with). It is probably fully workable for about twenty minutes (depending on temperature). It remains soft for about an hour but is not fully set for twenty four. I normally base up to twenty Frostgrave/Oathmark type bases per batch.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 04:17:40 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2020, 04:19:56 PM »
^ That's an awesome post! Very clear instructions.
Cheers!

Online sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2020, 02:28:22 PM »
Just to show that I can concentrate on one army at a time, here is the first Revenant Warrior.

Sprue photographs are available on the Fireforge website, and on my blog:https://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2020/12/fireforge-living-dead-warriors.html

Very useful size comparisons as ever but I don’t understand why the revenant is 6 inches taller than another human from the same manufacturer; maybe there is extra height in the dead?

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2020, 02:36:30 PM »
Great progress - I particularly like the Oathmark skellies

:)

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
Re: Re: UVS Oathmark - Undead Forces 28/12/2020
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2020, 03:49:58 PM »
Fantastic stuff, love the necromancer.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2020, 06:57:38 PM »
Here is the sprue photograph:

As you can see, there are skeletal heads and arms on there.
There is a photograph of the back of the sprue here: https://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2020/12/frostgrave-cultist-sprue.html

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2020, 06:59:09 PM »
Very useful size comparisons as ever but I don’t understand why the revenant is 6 inches taller than another human from the same manufacturer; maybe there is extra height in the dead?
Me neither.
I was a bit surprised that the Northmen were slightly taller than the Oathmark and the Deus Vulte from the same manufacturer.

Online sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2020, 08:15:21 PM »
Me neither.
I was a bit surprised that the Northmen were slightly taller than the Oathmark and the Deus Vulte from the same manufacturer.

That’s not a surprise. They clearly were aiming these to be compatible with Warhammer empire, you can see that from their advertising images and I think it’s a great idea… As I have such an army already

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: UVS Oathmark - Armies WIP 23/01/2021
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2021, 04:48:58 PM »
Some Work In Progress (but not as much as I wished, and nothing compared to AKULA's).
Elf Army

One box of North Star Elf Light Infantry.

Gnoll Army

A number of boxes of Frostgrave Gnolls.

Necromancer Army

One box of North Star Skeleton Infantry and some Frostgrave Cultists.

Northern Kingdom Army

North Star Human Infantry (some with Anvil heads) and Fireforge Northmen Infantry. Two characters with Frostgrave Knights bodies. one with the command head from the oath grave Human Infantry, the other with an Anvil Brodie Gladiator head.

Southern Kingdom Army

Fireforge Templar/Teutonic Infantry (one rank with Anvil Sallet heads) and Fireforge Medieval Archers.

Northmen Army

Frostgrave Barbarians and Mantic Games Northern Alliance Clansmen (one of the Frostgrave Barbarian archers has an Anvil head, and there is a prototype Barbarian skulking at the back built from a Warlord Celt with a Frostgrave Barbarian head intended for The Red King campaign).

Only the Elf army exceeds the minimum army size.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 05:01:30 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: UVS Oathmark - Cavalry 29/05/2021
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2021, 06:31:27 AM »
Inspired by the release of the Oathmark Cavalry (sprue photographs here: https://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2021/05/oathmark-human-cavalry.html) I assembled the first one.

The horse is in two parts, with the whole of the head on one side - the joint being hidden by the reins.

The rider's body is in five parts (plus shield).

There are parts to equip all fifteen figures identically with Hand Weapon, spear or bow.

The supplied shields are the large rectangular ones found on the Oathmark Infantry sprues. Not sure how practical they are, and a  different design would have been nice where you are building different forces using the same bodies (especially as both sets generate plenty of spare shields if you build the archer option). I do have a lot of shields to choose from so it is not so much of a problem.

There is a distinct family resemblance between the infantry and cavalry.

So having built one of the Oathmark cavalry, I thought I should do something about the Fireforge Northmen Cavalry I bought back in November 2020.

Sprue photographs here: https://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2021/05/fireforge-northmen-cavalry.html

The horse is in four parts (head, left body, right body, tail) and the rider in six parts plus shield.

The riders can be armed with sword or spear and have the same circular (Aspis?) shields as the Northmen Infantry.

Here are the two figures.

Here the Northmen faces off against the Oathmark Human Infantry,

One thing - I have ridden a horse twice so I am not an expert, but neither of the figures appears to be holding on to the reins. Are warhorses controlled by gripping the horse's body?