Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:48:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sellswords and Spellsingers Party creation  (Read 719 times)

Offline The Great Mahoo

• Bookworm
    • Adventures on the Tabletop
Sellswords and Spellsingers Party creation
« on: December 20, 2020, 06:28:15 PM »
I've been reading up on Spellsingers and Sellswords, as well as checking out some great battle reps here.  I haven't managed to make time to get a game on the table yet myself (hoping to real soon!) but I was wondering what you find works well for party creation at the start of the campaign.  Particularly for solo play, as such are these times nowadays.

What combination of units do you find works? How many models works well for you? What traits do you use?

Thanks!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Sellswords and Spellsingers Party creation
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 07:22:36 PM »
Do you want to "Win" the games or are you looking for a "Story"?

If the former then Maximum points in the minimum number of characters. Lots of combat skills.
If the latter then start with how you imagine the characters (or go by the figures) then build them to match that idea, take more characters of lesser abilities.

As a story with less capable characters the game will be harder, but IMHO ultimately much more rewarding.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Re: Sellswords and Spellsingers Party creation
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 08:53:55 AM »
I have a few different bands of adventurers to play different games, some high level, some low.

My current party I'm using in a short campaign is at 123XP for 4 characters so powerful; I try to make the scenarios more difficult to compensate so I have to be tactical but not so hard that I lose a PC each and every game.

I got lucky on my last game as 'reinforcements' and 'they are at our backs' cards only came out once each so I'll take that.

It's an odd game to balance but I love playing it anyway.

My advice would be to follow the scenarios in the book to start with and increase the difficulty as your party grows.

There are, I believe, two new scenario books due for 2021, there's definitely one as I did some of the playtesting, so more opportunities to get some different games in.

Some of the scenarios here suit higher powered parties, especially Demon's Gate:

http://grahamsgaming.blogspot.com/