Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:11:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Song of Drums and Shakos AAR - Ottomans vs Russians 1810  (Read 923 times)

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
Song of Drums and Shakos AAR - Ottomans vs Russians 1810
« on: September 06, 2020, 02:14:09 PM »
This fortnight we returned to the Song of Drums and Shakos rules, we played the Attack on the Farm House Scenario. Dave and Maurice took command of the colourful Ottomans and I girded up my loins and led the out numbered but better trained Russians.

The Story...
​​​​​​​With Captain Popoff on leave to receive an award after his glorious victory over marauding Turks Sergeant Putin redeployed their small picket force from the bloody site of their last action to a farm house behind a small brook. This would allow the men time to regroup and rest. They believed they had broken contact with the Turks they had just defeated, they were wrong! Meanwhile Bashi Bazouk leaders Yildiz and Arslan stung from their setback gathered reinforcements and pursued the cursed Russians and they vowed to catch them and slay them...all of them!

The AAR
The Ottomans split their forces and half advanced on their left toward the bridge down the road and the rest moved forward through the forest directly toward the farm house. The Russians too split their force the majority held the farm's fence line while four Musketeers formed a skirmish line to delay any attack over the bridge! The Turk advance across the stream through the woods moved forward in fits and starts as casualties inflicted on them caused many of the Bashis to hesitate! Meanwhile the charge across the bridge looked promising but they Russian Musketeers fought a masterly delaying action. This delay meant the Turk left arrived at the farm house without support from the right and in a close run thing they were held off and the Turks morale was broken!

Russian Musketeers fired volley after volley with great effect at the advancing Turks! The shell indicates the figures weapons are unloaded.

The Russians in the field by the farm covering the bridge slowly retiring before a 'horde' of Turks!

Igor and Boris make their stand!

A near run thing! The Turks almost overrun the Russians defending the farm house but break just when victory seemed in their grasp!

The full AAR with more pictures is on the TSOG blog! Song of Drums always gives us a great game!
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com/2020/09/napoleonic-skirmish-russians-vs.html
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
Re: Song of Drums and Shakos AAR - Ottomans vs Russians 1810
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 04:10:41 PM »
Great report Captain.  Nice to see an Ottoman battle.

Online Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 02:18:30 PM »
Well done, Darling.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 09:50:56 PM »
Thanks guys!

We had a good and colourful evening!

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 01:06:12 AM »
In the film, Chamberlain was deemed Colonel darling. Since the cliche professional Irishman was killed at Little Round Top, I don't suppose anyone ran around calling him General darling after he was promoted.

Edit: agree, the Russian - Ottoman pairing is unusual and very nice.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 06:27:13 PM by vtsaogames »
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 01:34:33 PM »
Thanks for sharing this fun little report, and I really enjoyed seeing this somewhat unusual pairing. Those make great opponents for skirmishing. Really makes me want to get SoDS out and have a game myself!