Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:54:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689725
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vallejo Varnish / Vallejo Premium Varnish - What´s the difference?  (Read 783 times)

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
Hello!

I have finally finished some of my newer miniatures and am now starting to varnish them. Earlier I had used the Army Painter Matte Varnish as a Brush On but I was not that happy with the results. They are okay, I guess.

Being a huge fan of the Vallejo Paint range I bought the Vallejo Satin Brush On Varnish and while the handling is excellent, it is the tiniest of tads too glossy for me. Really, just a tad. So back to research I went...

Now to my questions:

1. What is the difference between the normal Vallejo PU varnishes and the Vallejo Premium Airbrush Color PU varnishes? And which one would you use as a Brush On varnish?

2. Would it be okay to brush a second layer of Vallejo Matte over the Vallejo Satin on all the textile-non-glossy-bits while keeping the satin exposed in metal party (swords etc)?

3. What is the general consensus when it comes to how many layers of Vallejo Brush On are to be used? The bottle says that two thin layers would be best. So far I only have one coat of satin.

4. Does Vallejo Matte varnish change the colors of the miniature a lot or just in the usual way that would be expected from a Matte varnish?

Many thanks for reading this and maybe providing some advice!

Historiker
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
Re: Vallejo Varnish / Vallejo Premium Varnish - What´s the difference?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 01:29:16 PM »
PS:

5. Would you rather choose the 100% Acrylic Vallejo varnish or the Vallejo Polyurethane Varnish?

Many thanks!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 02:04:26 PM by Historiker »

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 09:01:53 PM »
Can’t help on all fronts but I use the Vallejo polyurethane gloss (in the white-ish bottles) on everything - one full layer, then a second coat on prominent parts then testors dullcote. It does make my minis indestructible.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 10:17:52 PM »
Many thanks for the reply!

I have now decided to get a Vallejo Acrylic Matte Varnish which I will use for a second layer of varnish on the non-shiny parts.

The handling of the PU-stuff from Vallejo is great (for example with the surface primers) but some of these products to have a very...distinctive... smell. Since I will use the varnish A LOT (Oathmark!) I chose the non-smelly 100 % acrylic!

Might I inquire why you do throw an extra layers of Testor´s on top? Just for the visual effect? Your minis sound indeed indestructible after getting this treatment :)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 09:02:39 AM »
Yeah just for the matting effect - I found the PU matte varnish a bit hit and miss, and you cant necessarily put a second coat on, so now method is gloss, gloss, matte.