Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:11:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685059
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Empress [COMMERCIAL] LATEST NEW RELEASES Iron Duke Orange River Range.  (Read 12803 times)

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
  • would like to paint more
Re: [COMMERCIAL] Iron Duke Orange River Range at Empress Miniatures.
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2020, 09:29:29 AM »
Thanks a lot Plynkes, then I will extend my project to the Basothos. And place an order with Empress in the near future. Maybe it's worth waiting for the Basotho warriors on foot and the British infantry command.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2020, 10:47:22 AM »
Seems like you will need a lot of those cavalry fellows. I was just having a gander at the bit in the Perry/Mike Snook book on the subject, and according to that the Basotho cavalry was something to behold. They had more horsemen than Ney threw at Wellington's squares when they faced the Brits. Not something you really associate with sub-Saharan Africa, that.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2020, 11:10:23 AM »
Waterproof, those Basotho fought both the Boers (Orange Free State) and the Brits in the 1850s. The Boers from the Perry range make perfect opponents for them, and while I'd have to check which British units were involved and what they wore, you'd have to be a pretty grumpy killjoy to object to seeing Perry Brits fielded against them and screaming "But the 43rd foot didn't wear that kind jacket! I'm going home!"  I do think the Perry guys in coatees and peaked caps have pretty much the right look, though, if you are going to let such things bother you.

I believe the Rifles might have been involved in that show. Some 1850s Riflemen would be nice. My memory is a bit leaky, but I don't think there are any in the Perry range. I'm looking forward to Basotho on foot, too, just cause I've always wanted to paint some.

Thanks Plynkes  ;)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2020, 11:21:03 AM »
Seems like you will need a lot of those cavalry fellows. I was just having a gander at the bit in the Perry/Mike Snook book on the subject, and according to that the Basotho cavalry was something to behold. They had more horsemen than Ney threw at Wellington's squares when they faced the Brits. Not something you really associate with sub-Saharan Africa, that.

I have to say it's not a subject I have much knowledge in. I'd guessed hat the Basotho fought as mounted riflemen ( like the Boers who I assumed they got the idea off) rather than true cavalry ( like Ney's currassiers) did they attempt to charge home on British infantry? Seems like a ballsy move if they did. Or did they just ride into rifle range take a pot shot and ride off to safety?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2020, 11:33:20 AM »
I think you are right, Jon. I believe they fought more like mounted infantry or skirmishing ranged cavalry (horse archers with guns, if you will), not as shock cavalry.  I was being a bit wild and loose with my terminology, trying to convey the idea that they made quite an impression on the Brits with their sheer numbers of horsemen. Cathcart himself was an aide to Wellington at Waterloo, and had seen those French cavalry charges with his own eyes. I can't remember if he made the comparison explicitly himself, of if that was just Mike Snook, but nonetheless it is made in the book.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2020, 12:13:43 PM »
Yes the Mtd Basuthos would ride up and discharge their variety of weapons and reload..but very inaccurate..as opposed to the Boers,The Cape Mtd.Rifles , used a Double barrelled gun ,one barrel was rifled and the other acted like a shotgun.,not a long range weapon. the Basuthos also had men mtd on"FAST" Oxen ..if there is such a thing. I can;t wait till their release..they would have up to 6,000 mtd Basuthos at a battle,,lots of painting...

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2020, 12:43:01 PM »
All right, gentlemen. This makes me look at the mounted Basothos with completely different eyes.
Is there any supporting printed material about the Basotho wars ?
So far I have only found one Osprey, Boer War Part 1.
My interest in this series of figures is now very high.  ;)

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2020, 01:03:57 PM »
Probably the best place to start would be Lt Colonel Mike Snook's web site.

He is Iron Duke and Empress Miniatures do the selling on his behalf. He has a LOT of research on the subject.

https://www.irondukeminiatures.co.uk/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2020, 01:50:18 PM »
The books Mike Snook did on the Cape Wars that were published by the Perry brothers are well worth having if you are into this period. Some lovely colour plates by whichever Perry twin is the one that does colour plates, too (including some Basotho types). I think only one chapter on the Basotho conflicts, though.

Afraid I haven't read any books that were solely about the Basotho, so I can't really recommend anything else. They get a mention and some pics in a couple of Osprey books as you mentioned, and I think the trusty old Donald Featherstone book on colonial warfare in Africa had a bit on them. Can't remember, long time since I read it.  :)

Offline Mike1879

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2020, 05:18:52 PM »
Been speaking to Mike Snook on the Iron Duke Facebook page today. There’s loads more to come in this range including dismounted skirmishing Basotho, artillery, mule born rocket batteries, lancers, highlanders, cape mounted rifles and more. His sculptor Paul Hicks is flat out working with other companies as well as the I.D, so it’s all a question of time as to how long these additions are going to take to come into production. Very exciting range though !!

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2020, 08:08:30 AM »
Great, thanks for all the tips and hints. This makes my painting project more and more probable.
I have one more question for the knowing community,
on the ironduke homepage the equipment and uniform of the 43rd Light Infantry Regiment is described very nicely.
It is explained that the Kilmarnock cap was "green" during the light infantry. In the picture it appears to me in a deep blue.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2020, 08:39:54 AM »
Great, thanks for all the tips and hints. This makes my painting project more and more probable.
I have one more question for the knowing community,
on the ironduke homepage the equipment and uniform of the 43rd Light Infantry Regiment is described very nicely.
It is explained that the Kilmarnock cap was "green" during the light infantry. In the picture it appears to me in a deep blue.

Why not ask Mike about it on the Iron Duke Facebook page?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2020, 09:01:10 AM »
That's the same pic as in the book. I was looking at it and I can't actually tell if it is very, very dark green or very, very dark blue. Looks black to my eyes. If Mike Snook says they were green I'd be inclined to believe him, but if I was painting it I'd paint it black with a highlight including a tiny amount of green, so it is almost imperceptable, as in the picture.

Just had a peek in the relevent Osprey, and it does say light infantry caps were green in this period. They weren't Rifles, but if the caps were Rifle green, Rifle green was often very dark.

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2020, 10:36:00 AM »
Many thanks to Plynkes for the interpretation.

Atheling, I don't have a Facebook account and I thought since this is a forum I might ask something.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2020, 10:56:58 AM »
Atheling, I don't have a Facebook account and I thought since this is a forum I might ask something.

Probably a wise decision all things considered :)