Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:27:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685047
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Empress [COMMERCIAL] LATEST NEW RELEASES Iron Duke Orange River Range.  (Read 12794 times)

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
Re: [COMMERCIAL] Iron Duke Orange River Range at Empress Miniatures.
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2020, 12:48:19 AM »
As it seem you re guys expert even in that very sideshow ..how was composed this basutho army that fought the boers? Mainly horsemen? Half horsemen half foot? Most spears I suppose  ? I ask that cause I already have painted some few foot  Xhosas From 1st Corps..maybe I can mix them with a few of those beautiful designed mounted basuthos to fight my boers?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 12:50:43 AM by italwars »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2020, 09:18:34 AM »
According to Mike Snook, by the 1840s, 75% of the Basotho fought as gun-armed mounted infantry. They preferred skirmishing and ambush, and did not go in for massed charges like the Zulu did. Unusually for this part of Africa they had lots of guns and lots of ponies. Their two wars against the Boers were in the 1850s and 1860s. There do not seem to have been any pitched battles, though.

The first war was characterized by ambushes and raids, both by Boers into Basutoland and Basotho raiding the farms of the Orange Free State. The Boers occassionally found themselves outgunned, something they would not often have experienced. Seems  the Basotho were pretty terrible with their guns to begin with, but became more formidable in time. This seems like a conflict built for skirmish gaming.

The second war was more bloody and mainly consisted of the Boers trying to assault Basotho mountain-top fortresses. Not so much scope for the horsemen in this one, as the Basotho were mostly defending fortified positions with guns. The Boers are said to have deployed artillery in these assaults, and interestingly the Basotho had some cannons acquired from traders, but these were largely ineffective.

Neither side prevailed in either war, a peace was arbitrated by the British in both cases.

Edit: Ha! I said Chris Peers when I meant Mike Snook. :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 09:28:14 AM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2020, 09:24:22 AM »
Very interesting, I think this period can be played very well with "Musket & Tomahawk".

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2020, 12:58:26 PM »
Spot on Plynkes as usual..I just finished about 6 books on the Cape frontier wars ,including Mike Snooks excellent (Must have  2),and currently reading Cathcarts dispatches in the field...lots of ambushing...and cattle raiding..so I figure I;ll need 10x12 man Mtd. units..one on "Fast Oxen"can;t wait to get started...

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2020, 06:30:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure I read that in the second and third war with the Basotho the Boers, of the Orange free state, allowed their tribal allies (Swazi) to bear the brunt of attacking the Basotho strongholds so you might need plenty of tribal allies in your Boer armies.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2020, 06:48:10 PM »
Hmm, this range of figures is a bit slow to evolve...

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2020, 03:50:58 AM »
Iron Duke did a very good job of developing an extensive Indian Mutiny range and Mike Snook is nothing if not thorough and methodical in his approach. A quick look at the Iron Duke FB page will reveal what's in the pipeline for the GAPS and Orange River ranges : there are actually plenty of completed masters and more dollies in the process of being worked on.

My understanding is that the current slow rate of releases is due to the bottleneck at Griffin Moulds, who do the moulding and casting for Empress, iron Duke and a fair few other manufacturers. They are apparently very busy at the moment - possibly due to the CoVID crisis - and are trying to catch up with their backlog as quickly as they can.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2020, 10:16:43 AM »
Iron Duke did a very good job of developing an extensive Indian Mutiny range and Mike Snook is nothing if not thorough and methodical in his approach. A quick look at the Iron Duke FB page will reveal what's in the pipeline for the GAPS and Orange River ranges : there are actually plenty of completed masters and more dollies in the process of being worked on.

Agreed Arthur. Mike Snook's attention to detail and research is second to none. And very honest too (for want of a better word).

My understanding is that the current slow rate of releases is due to the bottleneck at Griffin Moulds, who do the moulding and casting for Empress, iron Duke and a fair few other manufacturers. They are apparently very busy at the moment - possibly due to the CoVID crisis - and are trying to catch up with their backlog as quickly as they can.

!00%. I know a few miniature manufacturers personally and they are all having the same problems if they have to outsource their casting. Or indeed get quality master moulds etc made up.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2020, 11:16:02 AM »
Waiting for that reason is not a problem. I have a lot of other projects expecting my attention! But I am in the process of reading Mr Snook great books and I need to paint some British soldiers!!!  lol lol lol

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2020, 11:22:20 AM »
That previously-mentioned thing of there only being one Paul Hicks may be a factor, too. He does seem rather busy currently.

Griffin are doing something for me right now as well, so it seems that it's partially my fault, too. Sorry, Juan. :)

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2020, 08:46:58 AM »
No worries Plynkes. I have had a word with Griffin and due to Juans concerns your project has been moved behind Iron Duke.  ;)

lol lol lol lol lol

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2020, 09:57:09 AM »
Good man. It's for the greater good. Don't want my private project holding up those Basuto (and I want some dismounted ones to go with it anyway).  :)

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2020, 10:55:19 AM »
No worries Plynkes. I have had a word with Griffin and due to Juans concerns your project has been moved behind Iron Duke.  ;)

lol lol lol lol lol

The power of words...  :o :o :o

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2020, 10:12:24 PM »
Brilliant miniatures and very exciting campaign.

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
Lt-Gen. the Hon. George Cathcart Staff Set.