Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:02:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686454
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [COMMERCIAL] A LOT of Iron Duke GAPS releases at Empress Miniatures 04/11/22  (Read 14213 times)

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
Seriously tempting. :P    If Salute goes ahead I may have to stop by your stand or, more likely, place a mail order when I have a little more spare cash.
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
Some new packs and items in the ranges.

GAPS 5 Sikh Irregular Matchlockmen, (or bandukchis), (Set II), firing line, with tulwars and slung shields. (8 figs). [Suitable for both jagirdari irregular infantry [the retinue troops of great men] or Fauj-i-qilajat [garrison troops] in the 1st and 2nd Anglo-Sikh Wars].

GAPS 10  Kabuli Matchlockmen, firing line, with tulwars and slung shields. (8 figs). [1st Anglo-Afghan War].

THEM 4 Set of 4 British Regular Cavalry Horses, legs gathered. 
THEM 5 Set of 4 British Regular Cavalry Horses, legs stretched. 
THEM 6 Set of 4 Draught Mules, in harness, at the halt.[Suitable for artillery limbers and wagons in the Cape. Many other uses besides].
THEM 7 Set of 4 Draught Horses, in harness, at the halt. [Suitable for artillery limbers and wagons in any theatre].
THEM 13 Cased Colours.

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
That cart is wonderful.... it’s gone on the list!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: [COMMERCIAL] GANDAMACK PRE ORDERS available at Empress Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2021, 10:40:13 AM »
We know that many of you have been waiting for this release. Still a bit of time to wait but its getting closer. To help with the stocking and production and make sure that when it is released we have what you need we are pre releasing the three related Last Stand at Gandamack inspired by W.B.Wollen's iconic painting featuring the 44th (East Essex) regiment.

There are three packs that make up this set.

GAPS13 24 FIGURES.

GAPS14 5 FIGURES.

GAPS15 4 FIGURES.

We hope to be sending these to you in about two weeks.

https://www.empressminiatures.com/iron-duke-miniatures...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2021, 11:19:01 AM »
Now then, the Gandamack set need buying simply to paint up and to go in the cabinet!!  :-* :-* :-*

Please keep us up to speed with their release date :)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2021, 01:25:20 PM »
Paul, any chance of a size comparison with the ones you did for Studio miniatures?

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2021, 09:55:21 AM »
Paul, any chance of a size comparison with the ones you did for Studio miniatures?

Paul only sculpted three figures for that range and they are all based upon the same dolly so yes they are the same size as those.  ;)

Offline Charley Bourne

• Bookworm
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2021, 04:52:52 PM »
Is this a limited run item or will it be readily available alongside other items in the range?

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2021, 05:58:21 PM »
I know very little about the Sikh Wars, a little bit about the Gandamack stand (but not much with the first Afghan war).

For those in the know, would the Sikh Matchlock men be good Pathan stand ins for the 2nd Afghan war? The miniatures are wonderful.

Thank you.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2021, 11:00:24 PM »
bc99,

Not really.  The Kabuli Matchlocks also shown above would be much better.  It's all about the headgear and facial hair.  For good reason, all the Sikhs have Sikh turbans and Sikh beards, while the Kabulis have a mix of various Afghan headgear and facial hair.  On the other hand, most Afghans -- as seen in the Kabuli figures -- did wear turbans and beards, just a bit different in style/volume from those of their Sikh neighbors.  It's a question of how specifically accurate you want your miniatures to be.  From the photo above it doesn't look like any of the Sikh matchlock men are carrying bespoke Sikh weapons, such as a "Chakkar" ring on their turban, so if you don't mind slightly inaccurate turbans and beards, they could work.

Funny that the turbans and beards were what first caught my eye, but the bigger issue RE: using any of the "shooter" figures for the Second Afghan War is that they're all armed with matchlocks, as opposed to flintlock jezails.  By 1878 I believe the great majority of tribal jezails had flintlock mechanisms, many taken from captured or broken Brown Bess muskets.  If you're hesitant to field matchlock men for 1878-80, it might not be that difficult to convert the firing mechanisms by sourcing or scratch-building little flintlocks.  I enjoy that sort of thing, but I know it's not how everyone likes to spend their hobby time.  One thing for sure is they are beautiful figures!
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2021, 08:14:27 AM »
Is this a limited run item or will it be readily available alongside other items in the range?

Available for ever.........well a long time  ;)

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2021, 09:08:36 AM »
Thank you guru. I do like that second set, and the swordsmen. I’ll pick those up.

I try to get the armies right while not worrying about fudging a little. Your advice was appreciated.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2021, 09:20:01 AM »
This is a beautiful set. I know I will buy it, eventually.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2021, 09:46:23 AM »
Paul only sculpted three figures for that range and they are all based upon the same dolly so yes they are the same size as those.  ;)

Excellent! Thanks 😀

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2021, 10:00:42 AM »
Seems we all agree they are indeed beautiful figures!  I assume similar to your situation, Traveller, I have a bunch of the Studio Miniatures British Infantry in Winter dress -- in my case enough for any/all First Afghan War games I will play!  But... I'm afraid I will have to get all of these anyway.

@bc99: You're very welcome, happy to help.  Just saw you're located in California.  May I ask what part?   I'm in L.A.