Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:30:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689795
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [COMMERCIAL] Empress Miniatures Cold War Range. T64 RELEASED.  (Read 89641 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: [COMMERCIAL] Empress Miniatures Cold War Range. T64 RELEASED.
« Reply #841 on: May 11, 2023, 10:05:05 PM »
Cool.

On the list.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #842 on: May 11, 2023, 11:54:26 PM »
Spoiler alert: Annoying rivet counting to follow.

Shouldn't there be turret stowage boxes and a 12.7mm Utes AAMG if this is a T-64A? That's the standard configuration from the early 1970s onwards. The first 600 or so T-64 built in the 1960s were absent these things but they were the 115mm armed base versions.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #843 on: May 12, 2023, 08:03:44 AM »
Spoiler alert: Annoying rivet counting to follow.

Shouldn't there be turret stowage boxes and a 12.7mm Utes AAMG if this is a T-64A? That's the standard configuration from the early 1970s onwards. The first 600 or so T-64 built in the 1960s were absent these things but they were the 115mm armed base versions.

Anything else you want to add as now is the time as we can add the things you mention?

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #844 on: May 12, 2023, 08:51:34 AM »
Carlos: How does the AAMG work?  I can't work out how its fired or operated?

Is there a decent reference for the T64 models as I'm finding lots of conflicting drawings/mods etc...  the drawings I've got don't have the side bins.
All the survivors seem to be all over the place and there is no consistency.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #845 on: May 12, 2023, 09:25:42 AM »
There is a small but informative review of all serial modifications of the T-64 tank with an emphasis on their external differences. But alas - only in Russian. I recommend using Google translator for reading.
The first machine in the review is the prototype.

https://pikabu.ru/story/tank_t64_i_ego_modifikatsii_chast_1_4568734

https://pikabu.ru/story/tank_t64_i_ego_modifikatsii_chast_2_4570489

Automatic translation. But technical texts are often translated incorrectly. The inscriptions on the photo are not translated.

https://pikabu-ru.translate.goog/story/tank_t64_i_ego_modifikatsii_chast_1_4568734?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=ru&_x_tr_pto=wapp

https://pikabu-ru.translate.goog/story/tank_t64_i_ego_modifikatsii_chast_2_4570489?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=ru&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Also, in the process of switching from the production of one model to another, new equipment could be partially installed on a conditionally "old" model of the tank, as well as such modernization could be carried out already during operation during repairs. So it is possible to detect "mixed" models.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 09:32:05 AM by cuprum »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #846 on: May 12, 2023, 01:22:05 PM »
Trying to find my copy of Zaloga's Osprey Vanguard on the subject, it's probably the best English language publication. I'll have a look through when I find it. Worth getting a copy BTW.

What cuprum says is true, there were countless retrofits to older models but it appears from all the photos I have seen that from at least 1972 the turret stowage bins were a standard factory fitting as was the NSVT 12.7mm AAMG. The Tankograd blogspot says that:

"The ZU-64 closed-hatch type anti-aircraft installation was being tested from April 13 to September 10, 1971, and it started appearing on T-64 tanks beginning from the T-64A obr. 1972 onwards."

On the T-64A the commanders cupola was motorised so the AAMG is turned by rotating the cupola itself.

The T-64A had of course a host of differences to the baseline T-64 beyond just the installation of the bigger 125mm gun. The T-64A was where the first composite armour was deployed in a Soviet tank.

The NSVT, the tank mounted version of the NSV, was fired by a solenoid trigger, the electric cable for which is mostly inside the arms for the mount, so hardly visible. No spade grips like the DshkM or pistol grip like the ground mounted NSV.  This meant that the AAMG could be operated by the commander either internally or externally. The version you have on the existing Empress T-72 and T-90 models should be good to go, it just needs a mounting point on the turret.\

I've added a close up of the mount taken from the web.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #847 on: May 13, 2023, 10:40:28 PM »
Thanks! Really helpful stuff!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #848 on: May 15, 2023, 02:14:38 AM »
OK. Located Zaloga. Here's a basic summary.

Recap. 1972/73 we have the AAMG and the three left side turret stowage boxes. After 1979 there was a smoke grenade array at the front of the turret so one of the 3 boxes seems to have been displaced. Post 1979, so probably something for the subsequent model.

From 1971 the deep wading snorkel moves from the engine deck to the turret rear. At some later stage (annoyingly date not noted) Zaloga says that an additional stowage bin for the OPVT deep wading kit was placed at the rear of the turret. From a photo caption elsewhere in the book this appears to have been from around 1975.

In 1973 the T-64A received the Ehlement dozer system under the bow for self emplacement. Should be the same set up as on the existing Empress T-72 if that's useful. It is a noticeable element btw.

From 1975 the improved D-81TM 125mm gun gets a thermal jacket added to reduce barrel warping.

In 1979 the Tucha smoke discharger array appears on the turret front.

Around 1980 the Eloshka flipper armour starts to disappear and by the last run in 1981 a new turret based on the T-64B with the laser range finder starts to appear.

I've only noted those items which have some noticeable external changes to the model. Things like different range finder models, the make up of the composite armour and internal mechanical or automative changes don't make any difference to the outward appearance.

Some hopefully useful suggestions:

Might be worth looking at two barrels. Plain and with thermal jacket. You'll need the latter anyway for the 1980s model.

All the stowage bins should come as separate, including the rear turret snorkel bin. That way you can mix n match and when you do a T-64B it will make things easier with fitting the smoke dischargers.

Given the next model will be need a new or at least modified turret with the laser rangefinders vice the coincidence one with their distinctive cross turret bar shape you might cast the bin as part of the turret  as is the case with the T-72 in your existing line up but that's down to the mechanics and cost effectiveness of essentially making the same thing twice.

The self-emplacing dozer blade really is a must as it was in service for most of the life of this vehicle. Whether that's a redesigned hull or an added part I cannot say. It's distinctive and will be mildly painful to scratch build. The AAMG already exists on one of your other vehicles.

I really do hope that helps. I don't want to be 'that bloke' and a pedant but I know you strive to get accurate representations of kit, which is why it's such a great range to start with.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #849 on: May 15, 2023, 04:52:21 AM »
Just looked at the photos again. Looks like the dozer blade is already covered. Dopey me.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #850 on: May 17, 2023, 11:58:19 AM »
Great stuff - thanks!

I think I'm correct in stating then that the model as it stands represents a T-64A pre-1971 which would match up with what cuprum's links show and what I expected.
Stowage boxes and the AAMG then appear in the Mod 1971 and Mod 1972 versions

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #851 on: May 17, 2023, 12:50:06 PM »
Pretty much.

I read through Cuprum's link and according to that around 1975 some of the tool boxes on the right fender were replaced by additional fuel tanks but to be frank I'm not sure I can identify much difference in shape between the two.  Might be worth examining any top view photos to check. There should also be a new night sights added on the commander and gunners cupolas.

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #852 on: May 18, 2023, 08:31:53 AM »
Going to have to add this to the shopping list  :)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #853 on: May 18, 2023, 05:17:52 PM »
It's already on mine.  I want something for my 1990's Russians a bit more modern that my T55...this one is a prime candidate!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #854 on: August 06, 2023, 10:03:54 PM »
So finally a bit of progress.... 

3 models being covered, though its hard to pin down versions exactly as they modified older vehicles all over the place!

So....
Early model with 115mm gun
Mid production with 125mm gun
Late production with missile antenna

Hull seems to largely stay the same but the Right hand track guard bins turn into fuel tanks at some point.
Early tank has the option for gill armour (open/closed) later version has the rubber skirts.

Still some checking to do but comments are welcome!