Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:06:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [COMMERCIAL] Empress Miniatures Cold War Range. T64 RELEASED.  (Read 88265 times)

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: [COMMERCIAL] NEW BAOR SCULPTS PREVIEW.
« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2021, 12:06:25 PM »
Corgi did a Bedford TM in 1/50. Truck bed is way too long but a bit of surgery to the chassis and some plastic card should fix that.

I think that' s why Akula was aski9ng if we were going to make one  lol

We will have the Stolly - Stalwart.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #166 on: April 22, 2021, 12:32:50 PM »
Akula is this the truck you were after?

http://www.military-today.com/trucks/bedford_m_series.htm

It is indeed  :)

Corgi did a Bedford TM in 1/50. Truck bed is way too long but a bit of surgery to the chassis and some plastic card should fix that.

Yeah, I’ve got a couple...long since OOP...not sure if I can face hacking them about...especially if I could persuade someone to release a resin one.

I think that' s why Akula was aski9ng if we were going to make one  lol

We will have the Stolly - Stalwart.

You know me too well  lol

I could find a use for the Stalwart, but I’d still be hankering after a Bedford MK....or half a dozen

Is anyone else’s interested in the Bedford MK....? Perhaps, with sufficient interest we could persuade Paul....

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2021, 07:27:39 AM »
Obviously not   o_o

Clocks ticking  lol

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2021, 08:01:33 AM »
Well normally I would but I have the Corgi one and a hacksaw and I doubt I will ever need more than one.

There are some trucks that I would like. Zil-151 or Zil-157s or even a Gaz-63 to use with your Vietnam range. Useful targets for your MACV SOG and even the marines.

Cold War vehicles my top priority would be a T-64 but that probably doesn’t fit with your plans.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #169 on: April 23, 2021, 01:14:00 PM »
Just working on the crews for the Landrovers with the WOMBAT.

Plan to do both an infantry and Para crew for them.

Paras certainly had them, even took some to the Falklands but did not use them.

Infantry is a slightly different matter as they had pretty much been replaced with MILAN's but, and here is the BUT!!!!

TA units were issued with anything available and so would have turned up in Europe with them. Plus there were some kept in store in Berlin as a just incase measure. ( also heard that that there were MOBATS)

Therefore will do the infantry crew first then the Paras.

Any comments from the Hive mind?????? 

Offline Rick F

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #170 on: April 23, 2021, 02:17:08 PM »
You need at least one figure with a highly polished steel para helmet, doubling with a WOMBAT shell above his head. A tradition carried on well into the 90s lol

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #171 on: April 23, 2021, 05:19:54 PM »
Obviously not   o_o

Clocks ticking  lol

Yeah, looks like it’s just me that wants a Bedford MK....oh well, I’d better find that hacksaw and chop up my corgi diecast  ;)

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #172 on: April 23, 2021, 06:29:57 PM »
Happy with infantry crew for the Wombat being first. They were also on issue in Berlin, as Milan was a trickier proposition to use in an urban environment. Would be even happier if there was a Mobat as well.  :D

Offline AndyG

• Bookworm
« Reply #173 on: April 23, 2021, 06:33:27 PM »
The TA infantry who reinforced BOAR in early 1980s were  part of 7 Field Force which was a mixed TA and Regular Formation

My battalion when I joined in 75 had a home Defence role so it had a HQ and 4 rifle companies no support company and LMGs rather than GPMGs.

As soon as we were allocated to BOaR in Late 1978 we were reorganised on the same TOE as as regular 650 light infantry battalion and we formed a support company taking over a mortar platoon from 5 Royal Anglian and setting up a AT platoon initially equipped with WOMBAT,  however by the time we deployed on Exercise Crusader/spearpoint 80 the WOMBATs had been replaced by Milan, and my god did the AT platoon moan when they lost their WOMBATs.

Yes make the wombat because pre 1980 they would have been used but be careful  of the myth the TA or at least those slated to deploy to Germany were not well equipped

Talking to Friends in other battalions they followed the same path as us.

For completeness by the time I left in 1983 we had exchanged Larkspur for Clansman.

On the subject of sterlings, we had enough in the armoury to issue them to all signallers drivers HQ odds and sods  etc, however in practice there were enough SLRs so  those who could draw Sterling could choose their personal weapon.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #174 on: April 24, 2021, 09:51:46 PM »
That ACRV looks good.

Nice sculpts on those British.

A Bedford would be nice (and some Soviet softs especially UAZ 469).

Looking forward to the Landrovers (even if my bank account is not).

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2021, 08:52:57 AM »
The TA infantry who reinforced BOAR in early 1980s were  part of 7 Field Force which was a mixed TA and Regular Formation

My battalion when I joined in 75 had a home Defence role so it had a HQ and 4 rifle companies no support company and LMGs rather than GPMGs.

As soon as we were allocated to BOaR in Late 1978 we were reorganised on the same TOE as as regular 650 light infantry battalion and we formed a support company taking over a mortar platoon from 5 Royal Anglian and setting up a AT platoon initially equipped with WOMBAT,  however by the time we deployed on Exercise Crusader/spearpoint 80 the WOMBATs had been replaced by Milan, and my god did the AT platoon moan when they lost their WOMBATs.

Yes make the wombat because pre 1980 they would have been used but be careful  of the myth the TA or at least those slated to deploy to Germany were not well equipped

Talking to Friends in other battalions they followed the same path as us.

For completeness by the time I left in 1983 we had exchanged Larkspur for Clansman.

On the subject of sterlings, we had enough in the armoury to issue them to all signallers drivers HQ odds and sods  etc, however in practice there were enough SLRs so  those who could draw Sterling could choose their personal weapon.

Thanks for that. As the range also works for late 1970's and its based on a war situation it would seem rude not to have a Landy with WOMBAT with Brit infantry crew. If only for home/ Berlin defence.

In reference to the TA don't worry I do not see the TA as bare foot and weaponless and you are not the first to confirm that some were equipped to regular standards. However from research there were very different standards depending on the nature of the TA unit. Some of them were pretty badly supplied, although I am beginning to suspect that they may have used some of this as an excuse to do their own thing. As one veteran of the TA described them to me, some units were very much 'Saturday Night Soldiers' whilst others were the equal of the regular units.

The UK was financially in a bad way late 1970's and cabinet papers released a few years ago did show an interesting pencilled note written by then PM Jim Gallaghan regarding defence budgets. or the lack of one, as something like "We are F***ed" Which does tend to sum up the situation, although the militaries fighting fitness was shown very well in the Falklands although in no small part to the professionalism and courage of the military. 

Therefore the well equipped TA units are covered by the existing regular units but there will be some figures that specifically link to detailed information on TA units that is somewhat less than standard issue.   

Cheers, Paul ;)

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2021, 09:56:59 AM »
I recall reading somewhere that at least into the ‘70s some TA units were still issued with ‘37 pattern webbing. I’d happily add a platoon’s worth of chaps so equipped.

Offline AndyG

• Bookworm
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2021, 10:21:02 AM »
Hi

Just to confirm albeit only for a short period as a BAOR reserve Bn we did have wombats, it’s just they were gone by 1980, so no problem justifying them for the 70’s and as has been said in a war I’m sure all sorts of stuff would have been dug out if we’d lasted.

Yes when I in joined in 75 we still had 38 pattern  webbing, however many of us myself included bought our own 58 pattern webbing so the battalion  wore a mix overall.

The 38 webbing was blacked but we had an attached yeomanry   squadron serving as one of our infantry companies and they insisted on using brown polish on their webbing.

The comment about Saturday night soldiers is interesting there is no doubt in my mind the whole ethos changed  after we re-rolled, the less competent disappeared, training days were stepped up, and there was strict insistence on having completed the right courses before promotion and passing the fitness tests. I’d estimate including annual camp I did about about 60 days a year.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2021, 06:09:29 PM »
My first order of BAOR arrived today...lovely minis Paul...beautifully sculpted/cast and perfect sizewise for my “little” project.

Just a scouting party...proper order to follow in due course...looking forward to seeing the land rovers  :)

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #179 on: April 28, 2021, 09:49:11 AM »
My first order of BAOR arrived today...lovely minis Paul...beautifully sculpted/cast and perfect sizewise for my “little” project.

Just a scouting party...proper order to follow in due course...looking forward to seeing the land rovers  :)

Glad they all arrived safely  ;)