Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:51:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [COMMERCIAL] Empress Miniatures Cold War Range. T64 RELEASED.  (Read 88235 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: [COMMERCIAL] Empress Miniatures Cold War Range. SOVIET PARAS RELEASED.
« Reply #555 on: March 18, 2022, 12:19:41 AM »
I like them. In fact I was recently redoing some of my modern figures, and these will fit in well with the Underfire Miniatures Soviets I'm already using I think. :)

On the note of all those RPGs. Has anyone at Empress considered adding figures firing RPGs to the Modern Russian range? All those figures have RPG-22 style launchers slung on their shoulders. A set of figures actually handling the tubes seems missing from that range.

A full ZU-23-2 would be great too. As far as I'm aware the closest we have in 28mm are Empress own ZU-23-2 mount for a technical and a similar one from Spectre Miniatures. However both lack the standard mount and instead have an improvised one so aren't suitable for most purposes. At least with Empress already having a model of the gun I guess they could just make an appropriate mount for it and modify the crew figures to have Soviet Military uniforms.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 12:22:07 AM by Wyrmalla »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #556 on: March 18, 2022, 12:47:17 AM »

On the note of all those RPGs. Has anyone at Empress considered adding figures firing RPGs to the Modern Russian range? All those figures have RPG-22 style launchers slung on their shoulders. A set of figures actually handling the tubes seems missing from that range.

I would be down for a pose or two with RPG-7s as well.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #557 on: March 18, 2022, 09:23:29 AM »
I would be down for a pose or two with RPG-7s as well.

On out to do list.

Been trying to see if I could spot Russians using them in the current conflict but not noticed anything, although have not looked too hard tbh. All a bit sad  :'(

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #558 on: March 18, 2022, 10:05:48 AM »
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 10:07:43 AM by cuprum »

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #559 on: March 18, 2022, 11:02:12 AM »
Perfect thanks for that  ;) Best we stay off the ultra modern stuff now though  :)

On another note we will be doing all the 1980's VDV wearing the jump helmet. This will not be the earlier smooth leather 'football' helmet but the ridged tankers helmet that seems to have been used from the early 1970's.

Time for Carlos to comment  lol 

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #560 on: March 18, 2022, 12:01:06 PM »
It would be optimal to be able to use separate interchangeable heads in different jump helmets, steel helmets, berets and panamas (for Afghanistan)  ::)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #561 on: March 19, 2022, 01:27:14 AM »
I’m fine with your choices for the VDV, beret or padded jump helmet and I already have enough VDV for Afghanistan in helmets and panamas to keep me happy.

On the subject of your modern Russians, the thing that strikes me is the dearth of PKP machine guns. I think there’s one across all the packs in the range and I understood that they had replaced the RPK as the standard squad LMG som time back. Trouble with ultra moderns, real world buggers are always changing their kit.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline 1amaloney

• Student
« Reply #562 on: March 19, 2022, 03:24:05 AM »
The figures look mostly good, and I will be adding them to my collection at some point but to be honest they are very static or two dimensional looking, I would preferer some more moving/dynamic poses.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #563 on: March 19, 2022, 04:01:04 AM »

To jump in here. Those aren't Russian soldiers, but Ukrainian separatists. Nor is that a Russian RPG-7, rather its a captured American produced RPG-7 clone (can't recall the name) that was provided to the Ukrainian Government.

I've yet to see an RPG-7 specifically carried by Russian forces these past few weeks. I've seen other tube fired weapons, just not RPG-7s. Though even those have all been found stowed on captured vehicles - instead of been carried by individual soldiers. Given the RPG-7 is still known to be in the inventory of the Russian Military and has been shown in their training videos, I'd imagine its still in use - but just hasn't been recorded in any of the content I've seen, or the Russian Military just didn't think it necessary to issue any RPG-7s to their soldiers (based on the messed up decision making around current events...).

I'd probably rather see figures firing RPG-22s. Radio Dish Dash's Ultracombat range of modern Russians are armed with RPG-7s I believe - all with tandem warheads - if that's relevant. But I guess how Empress models their figures is down to what they're looking to represent. As whilst they're attempting to be "Ultra Modern", keeping figures relevant to latest developments may be difficult. For instance Empress's Russian range comes with many RPKs, which have now been replaced (on paper) with PKPs. So either the range represents figures from a moment in time, or is looking to keep up to date. One would hope it would be the later - but keeping appraised of current events and hiring a sculptor to keep adding to ranges takes a lot of dedication (so much simpler to do historicals...).

Even then as current events have shown, basing figures on content from Official sources may not actually reflect what's being used in the field... Empress' Chechen Wars range remains relevant for the modern Russian Military it seems.  ::)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #564 on: March 19, 2022, 06:10:05 AM »
Yeah I mean even the US ultra modern line Is going to be long in the tooth soon. New helmets, new body armor, carl-Gs in regular line companies. And especially so if the US does something crazy and chooses to replace the M4 and M249 with a new rife in the New squad weapon program.  lol

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #565 on: March 19, 2022, 06:50:42 AM »
When I started wargaming a 'Modern' set of rules
referred to WW2!  lol lol lol

So I'll just stay out of this. :?

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #566 on: March 19, 2022, 08:12:58 AM »

So I'll just stay out of this. :?
Its all good, When I started gaming Moderns meant Yugoslavia, Mogadishu, Gulf War one Etc... lol

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #567 on: March 19, 2022, 10:11:39 AM »
Any advance on the Boer War?  :D

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #568 on: March 19, 2022, 10:22:40 AM »
Any advance on the Boer War?  :D
I know I have a photo of Boar 75mm Krupp Quick Firing Field Gun L24 some where.  ::)

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #569 on: March 19, 2022, 10:23:11 AM »
I’m fine with your choices for the VDV, beret or padded jump helmet and I already have enough VDV for Afghanistan in helmets and panamas to keep me happy.

100% this  :)

The figures look mostly good, and I will be adding them to my collection at some point but to be honest they are very static or two dimensional looking, I would preferer some more moving/dynamic poses.

Did you see the two packs of Advancing/Patrolling VDV that have already been released (on page 36)?

I’ve already got some of the initial release on my paint table, and in combination with the new greens personally I’d say they give a pretty good mix of fire and move  :)

To be fair when I started gaming I’m pretty sure that a couple of the old wrinklies at my local club probably thought of Late Imperial Romans as Modern  lol