Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:35:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What Exactly Are Ancient Indian Maiden Guard?  (Read 3945 times)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Re: What Exactly Are Ancient Indian Maiden Guard?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2021, 06:59:39 PM »
I've also read somewhere the Southern Indian Kingdoms soon after Alexander appeared in the north recruited Greeks and Greek women as guards for harems and whatnot. Can't remember the source, it might be one already mentioned (Duncan Heads Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars).

The Mauryans recruited a lot of Greeks so may have had them, but I've never read anything that said they were used in battle. Suspect they could have turned up with the rest of the followers as you'd probably need all sorts of security to keep watch over camp. General perception of Classical India is we really don't know a great deal about how they operated or even their campaigns much yet and we just fill in the gaps with what we see elsewhere.

Although I remember ages back that the Maurya apparently invoked numerous laws that were quite repressive for the female portion of the population, so that may have impacted on having Maiden Guard? But I know very little details on what the Maurya did exactly.

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2021, 07:27:21 PM »
I think there were some Sergeant Major Miniatures ones, at one point- I have a pack. Quite small minis IIRC.

Are they the ones now owned by Thistle and Rose (originally sculpted for a range called Molon Labe?). Bill says they only have a single sculpt, but I'd love to get my hands on a few if there was more variety...

Offline custosarmorum

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2021, 03:58:04 AM »
I believe the Sgt Major, now Thistle and Rose, range were originally released as Vendal Miniatures.  They were nice but on the large side compare to other ranges like Newline.