Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:01:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690581
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 645
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Carthage Questions  (Read 1277 times)

Offline DancesWithHippos

• Librarian
    • Blog!
28mm Carthage Questions
« on: September 26, 2020, 03:12:35 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm new to Ancients (I generally stop at the Viking Age). I've just picked up Clash of Spears, skirmish rules set roughly around the Punic Wars. In selecting an army I've chosen Carthage because I happen to own an elephant mini and my Flesh Tearers and Red Corsairs are red enough, so Rome was out lol.

Since I'm new to this period I was hoping to get some recommendations for mini manufacturers that represent Carthage well. I'm not super concerned with historical accuracy down to every last link of maille, but I'd like them to be period-appropriate at a glance. I know I could just google it, but I also know I don't necessarily need a box of troops labeled "Carthage" because of the wealth of allies they had, and that equipment could be pretty similar across the western Mediterranean. I've ordered an Osprey book on the Punic Wars, but thats more for the paint scheme than the minis.

So, I guess what I'm looking for is some reccomendations for the troops below that I can call Carthaginian troops and feel good about it.  I can sort out the scale diffrence between manufactures. Its a skirmish game, so extra points for character and variety amongst the sculpts. 

Punic Levies
Iberrian Skirmishers
Slingers
Punic Infantry
Romanized Infantry (what ever that means)
Light Cavalry
Iberian Cavalry
Punic Cavalry

Ideally, I'd like to be able to find these in the U.S., but thats probably a tall order.

In return, I offer you the sight of this cool picture.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: 28mm Carthage Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 03:32:46 PM »
While they’re based in Canada, I’d recommend checking out Relic Miniatures as I think they’ll tick many of your boxes.

The list you gave seems to cover Carthage across all three Punic wars. For the second with Hannibal, the Punic troops are not really going to be needed. Maybe a few cavalry for bodyguard and/or officer types.

With regards to the rest, for Iberian skirmishers use Iberian Caetrati. For slingers, use Balearic slingers. Romanised infantry, I assume, means ones in captured Roman gear. “Carthaginian” light cavalry would typically be Numidians.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 04:29:06 PM »
Gauls and Iberians were also used as light Cavalry besides just Numidians. 

Therefore, you can use a lot of different Victrix sets as well.....

Since you are playing Clash, I assume you want 28mm?
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 06:48:18 PM »
Victrix are nice but you need to buy large packs of them. I would recommend you look at the Gripping Beast metal range. They produce a pretty complete Punic Wars range.   Their website says they have 2 US stockists if you don't want to order from UK.

Regards

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 07:11:30 PM »
I built mine long ago using a lot of A&A miniatures which I liked, but they are a chunky style. I believe Mark Sims was the sculptor, so you could likley mix them with his ancients line at Crusader
https://www.aandaminiatures.co.uk/products/?p=9
https://www.crusaderminiatures.com/list.php?cat=1&page=1
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 07:17:04 PM by joekano »
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline Arche Seleukeia

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 10:11:25 AM »
Crusader Miniatures
Aventine Miniatures
Gripping Beast Miniatures
A&A Miniatures
Relic Miniatures
Warlord Games
Agema Miniatures

All these have what you need.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 10:41:29 AM »
For the Spanish, and Numidians and Gauls the Foundry range is superb, but they don't do Punic types.

Offline pws

• Scientist
    • Pippoweb hobby blog
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 11:43:04 AM »
Yes I agree to all of that and of course: Aventine miniatures

I did mine with most of the manufactures above stated (crusader, foundry, aventine, etc...) and just finished an Iberian expansion for CoS, "this project is all metal".
http://pippoweb.blogspot.com/2017/05/cartaginesi-centuria.html the main Carthaginian list was for Centuria, but now is splittable in two CoS armies... republican roman (all plastic III army) to follow.
Iberian pictures next week.
Ciao
Per aspera ad astra
pippoweb.blogspot.it

Online Byrthnoth

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 07:30:32 PM »
Fighting Hedgehog has Clash of Spears starter sets. The Carthaginian one seems to have most of what you’re looking for, using Victrix miniatures: https://www.fightinghedgehog.com/products/carthaginian-army

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 10:35:25 PM »
The core of a Carthaginian field army would be mercenary Libyan Heavy infantry. These would be equipped like hoplites, but later could be re-equipped with Roman equipment.
You can also have Gallic infantry and cavalry. The infantry could be warband types or skirmishers.
One of the good things about the Carthaginian army is the variety of troops you can choose from in your army. In a big battle game this means you can have various different units to fulfil different functions, and you can try out different combinations.
The Clash of Spears starter set gives you a good selection of troops, but personally I don't think it makes much sense to have such a mixed force in a skirmish game. Presumably the type of scenarios you would have in this game are mainly patrols and raids, so a force from a single national origin (maybe with a Carthaginian officer leading them) seems to make more sense to me.

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 11:24:02 PM »
Romanized Infantry (what ever that means)- These would be Hannibal's veterans who were made up of Italians, Gauls, and Liby-Phoenicians who were originally armed with hoplite gear that over time used captured Roman gear.
Also Gauls are useful allies in almost every Punic Wars army.

I'd add to the above list-
Victrix
Old Glory (for volume)

JJonas

Offline DancesWithHippos

• Librarian
    • Blog!
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 03:26:22 PM »
Awesome, guys! Thanks for all the help.

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 04:31:15 PM »
Not sure if they’re available Stateside but I’d add 1st Corps to the recommendations above, a nice big range and good detailed figures. If you want Punic pikemen (never existed) Casting Room Miniatures from Foundry has a few packs. I have always assumed it is short for “found on the casting room floor” as they are mostly execrable! (Yes, obviously I had to buy some...🙂)