Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:30:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What Do We Say To The God Of Death?  (Read 16519 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
What Do We Say To The God Of Death?
« on: September 27, 2020, 08:06:25 PM »
Back in October of 2018 I had something of a medical catastrophe, which I like to refer to as "The Event" (Remain Indoors! Do Not Think About The Event!) The particular brand of Event that I had you don't generally walk away from, but luckily I was sent to the Queen Elizabeth hospital in Birmingham, UK, renowned for the life-saving brain surgery performed on that plucky Pakistani schoolgirl who had a bullet put in her head by the Taliban. Well, I tried a bit of their brain surgery and they saved my life too! Even better, it never cost me a penny. So thanks for that, Clem Attlee!  :)

NorthStar Nick and the moderator team at LAF sent me a smashing card, it was a lovely surprise to get it:

(You have to remember this was 2018, and Star Wars was still relatively popular, Lucasfilm had only managed to alienate about half of the fanbase at that point, seems they have now finished the job ;))

So thanks to all the gang, it kept me going to know I had LAF to come back to, and you guys had my back. Speaking of which, it has been quite the struggle to try and become a proper LAFer again. For a long time it was just too difficult for me to paint or do any modelling. But earlier this summer I picked up the brushes once more, and I'm slowly working my way back towards being my old self. Progress is terribly slow, as I can't do it for very long at a time, but I am loving it, in fact I don't remember a time when I was so inspired about the hobby. I used to be one of those people who has long periods when I'm just not into it. Those days seem to be gone, thankfully. Currently I am not working on any projects, just painting things I feel like painting.

So that brings me to this thread. As I am happily saying "Not Today" to the God of Death every day, I want to celebrate the fact by documenting the painting of my return to LAF. A kind of one-man painting club, displaying all the figures as I paint them. As it is just me on my own I think I shall limit it to 50 instead of the usual painting club hundred. There are no rules except for this: If I paint 50 figures before I cark it, I win. If I don't, I lose, and the God of Death wins.  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: What Do We Say To The God Of Death?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 08:07:16 PM »
Okay, enough bloody preamble (he does go on a bit, doesnt he?), let's get this thing moving...

No.1: Dead of Dunharrow

(Games Workshop)

No.2: That slightly potty posh lady off Game of Thrones and Star Wars

(Wargames Illustrated Giants in Miniature)

These two were done for the painting club currently running on the Fantasy board. I have a couple more in the pipeline for that club that I hope to finish soon.

No.3: The Legend Himself

(Lead Adventure Miniatures)

It's cool having a figure based on yourself. At least, I think it is. Alex sent me a bunch of these when they first came out, and it has taken me till now to paint any of them. Don't know why I avoided painting them, maybe I wasn't convinced it was a good likeness. Though that I think, may just be vanity on my part. I certainly recommend getting your own mini-you.

As I have a few of these, I thought I'd do a conversion, too:

No.4: Another Plynkes

(Lead Adventure Miniatures/Artizan Designs conversion)

Here we see Plynkes dressed in the official ceremonial uniform and regalia of the Colonial Adventures moderator.
As for the likeness, judge for yourself - do you think he looks like me?

No.5:  Mossi warrior in French service, Togoland 1914

(Perry Miniatures conversion)

No.6: Alan Watermain

(Perry Miniatures very slightly converted)

Actually an 1850s Quatermain, inspired by the novel "Child of Storm."

No.7: The Fresh Prince of Ndondakusuka

(Warlord Games)

Prince Cetshwayo kaMpande, 1856.

That's it for now, more soon, I hope!!

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 08:44:41 PM »
Blimey, you've been through something. Good to see you're swinging back with it.
That's a pretty good start for your personal painting club.

No.6: Alan Watermain

Would Alek Y Watermain work as an alternative name?

Edit: Alex E Watermain is probably better.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 08:54:18 PM by voltan »
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 01:54:52 AM »
Good to see you back and on the mend. Didn’t realise you had ascended to the papacy though. I do think the shield and knobkerrie wotsit are great additions to the pontifical togs.

I’d like to think my own words to the God of Death would be ‘fuck off, I’m busy’ but I’m sure that first time around that was not uppermost in my mind.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 01:57:18 AM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 02:18:43 AM »
Whatever I say is probably going to a sound trite...Cracking work and an optimistic post  :)
Thank you for making my day :D
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Online Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 03:21:06 AM »
Glad you are on the mend and getting back into painting.  Nice start on these figures.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 05:13:12 AM »
"Don't pay the ferryman - don't even fix a price! Don't pay the ferryman, until he takes you to the other side."

As with everybody, I'm thoroughly glad we've got you back, and those minis look every bit as splendid and expressive as in any "golden heyday" of the past. Looking forward to more.

Maybe tone down the stubble on the pewter Plynkoi a bit, though.  ;) It's not half as unkempt in any pics I've seen of you, old chap.  lol

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 06:13:33 AM »
Welcome back, Mr Plynkes, absolutely thrilled to see you posting again!

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 06:50:37 AM »
Welcome return of a first class painter, and gentleman, glad you were able to do it, and even better you continue to do so.

Waiting with interest to see more, and how many of them are Plynkoi conversions.

Thanks most definitely to the skilled staff at the hospital for giving you and us an extension to your stay in this world, and membership of LAF.

Long may you continue to be around and doing stuff.

Please, stay as long as you can.

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 08:07:14 AM »
Excellent to see you back, and in full flow again - looking forward to seeing many more Plynkes minis and mini Plynkes.

8)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 08:38:56 AM »
So very happy you are still with us Mr. Plynkes but saddened to hear you have been through hell.

LAF would be a more hollow place without your lovely pjs and Colonial wisdom for sure. Welcome back and keep figting!
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 08:42:45 AM »
Seems to me you've got that fucker (Mr Death) in a headlock and are not letting go.

Stellar, stellar, I  say!, work on those on those miniatures! I have always held you to be one of the legendary contributors of LAF and I am glad to see it  till holds true.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2020, 09:02:22 AM »
This thread would be a wonderful thing at any time but, this year especially, it's absolutely magnificent.
I've got this bookmarked with every expectation of seeing all fifty paintied miniatures :-)

Really good to have you back!
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 09:03:24 AM »

Here we see Plynkes dressed in the official ceremonial uniform and regalia of the Colonial Adventures moderator.
As for the likeness, judge for yourself - do you think he looks like me?

You get much better regalia in CA than we do over in Workbench. We get a ratty looking sennet...

Who do I talk to about this?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 11:47:47 AM by Hammers »

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 09:11:58 AM »
I am very pleased to read that your recovery is progressing. I get irritated when real life interferes with painting toy soldiers, but your experience puts my issues properly into perspective! I very much enjoyed your first two posts in this thread and I look forward to reading many more!