Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:17:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What Do We Say To The God Of Death?  (Read 16159 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: What Do We Say To The God Of Death?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2021, 10:59:37 PM »
I nearly missed this thread. Wonderful work Dylan on your eclectic mix of genre. As Richard has mentioned, you haven't lost your Midas touch with the brush, well done.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2021, 11:42:46 PM »
More excellent work.  Very glad to see your continuing on.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2021, 08:12:39 AM »
That's brilliant stuff, Dylan! AS Richard says, you have not lost it. At all.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2021, 09:01:02 AM »
Some lovely work Dylan   8)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2021, 10:16:45 AM »
Great stuff in this thread mate, glad I finally stumbled across it.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2021, 12:47:34 AM »
Brilliant work as usual!
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2021, 04:16:55 PM »
Ok well I nearly missed this thread. I never come on this board ever but thanks to my pudgy fingers and small phone screen I accidentally ended up here and it turns out to be a happy accident as this is a cracking little thread.

Plynkes loving no 11 but then I do have a fondness for British central Africa and the Ngoni.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2021, 05:22:51 PM »
Thought you might like that one, Jon. I think that he has been sitting on my painting desk for nearly ten years. I did the initial conversion all that time ago but then sort of lost interest in him. But I now have a policy that nothing new goes on the painting table until I have finished everything that is on there already. It had got so crowded that I was working in a little corner of it measuring about 7" x 7".  :) Well, enough! So I have to get all these annoying half-forgotten things done so that I can move on to the latest stuff buzzing around inside my head.

Thanks for all the encouraging words, friends. I really am enjoying being more active in the hobby again.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2021, 06:21:09 AM »
Thought you might like that one, Jon. I think that he has been sitting on my painting desk for nearly ten years. I did the initial conversion all that time ago but then sort of lost interest in him. But I now have a policy that nothing new goes on the painting table until I have finished everything that is on there already. It had got so crowded that I was working in a little corner of it measuring about 7" x 7".  :) Well, enough! So I have to get all these annoying half-forgotten things done so that I can move on to the latest stuff buzzing around inside my head.

Thanks for all the encouraging words, friends. I really am enjoying being more active in the hobby again.

You're a better man than me. I have a whole shelf of half finished projects who where shoved there to make space, on my painting table, for my latest head buzz  :D

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2021, 04:01:31 PM »
No.s 23, 24, 25 & 26: The Shilluk

(Copplestone Castings)

Back at the Stupid Hair Finals, a late showing by the Shilluk, with some fine examples of follicular folly. Unfortunately we've just heard that another of the teams (believed to be the Gogo) has lodged an official complaint. They claim that the Shilluk are ineligible, as they come from the Sudan, which is outside the East African finals' catchment area. The Shilluk have challenged this complaint, their defence being that while Sudan is officially in North Africa, they are from South Sudan, which is in East Africa.

It is reported that the Gogo response is that this is supposed to be 1861, and therefore there is no such country as South Sudan.

These ill-omened buggers have been on my desk since 2018. In fact they were there awaiting paint just as I was rushed to hospital. Consequently I have avoided even looking at them, as they were unpleasant reminders of a very rough time. But now they are done, and good riddance to 'em! Lovely figures, mind. Copps is still my favourite sculptor. But so big! His scale creep is really getting out of hand, I feel. His range was meant to be an extension of the one he did for Foundry, but if they get much bigger, they won't be compatible at all! Oh well...

The inhabitants of this region are some of the darkest-skinned people on the planet, so I decided to ditch my usual method for Africans  and try something else. I think it is still a work in progress and needs refinement, but a just-about satisfactory start to coming up with a formula for the darker flesh tones (though to be honest, in the photo they don't look all that different to my usual efforts). We'll see if I can improve it any if I ever do more of these guys.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2021, 05:39:43 PM »
Another lovely group. Those red beads are just perfect. Great job  8)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2021, 09:42:17 AM »
Oohhh those are cracking really nice paint jobs. I really like Copplestone's Shilluk and Dinka miniatures but, sadly they live a little bit to far north to really fit with my Darkest Africa stuff. I did manage to re-purpose some Dinka as Nkonde mind.

Where did you get the spears? I don't remember my Dinka being supplied with any spears.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2021, 10:02:37 AM »
Indeed, the Shilluk and Dinka don't come with spears. I made them. I think the base for them was just some plain metal rod spears, possibly the ones that Foundry usually bung in with an order (apologies if I am mistaken, it was over two years ago that I actually did it). The spear tips themselves are from Foundry Masai spears (I have a ton of those), and I noticed that in photos the Shilluk seem to love to decorate their spears with feathery bits, so fashioned some from modelling putty.

I don't really have a use for them either, but at the time I just wanted to get some as they looked like they might be fun to paint (which they were). If I ever paint any more they might get involved in a skirmish against some early Mahdists, or possibly some Khartoum slavers. I think they'd also do as 'generic' tribesmen in an Alan Quatermain game.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2021, 11:51:59 AM »
Brilliant work yet again mate.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2021, 07:51:51 PM »
Indeed, the Shilluk and Dinka don't come with spears. I made them. I think the base for them was just some plain metal rod spears, possibly the ones that Foundry usually bung in with an order (apologies if I am mistaken, it was over two years ago that I actually did it). The spear tips themselves are from Foundry Masai spears (I have a ton of those), and I noticed that in photos the Shilluk seem to love to decorate their spears with feathery bits, so fashioned some from modelling putty.

I don't really have a use for them either, but at the time I just wanted to get some as they looked like they might be fun to paint (which they were). If I ever paint any more they might get involved in a skirmish against some early Mahdists, or possibly some Khartoum slavers. I think they'd also do as 'generic' tribesmen in an Alan Quatermain game.

Cheers for that those spears certainly look the business.