Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 10:49:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What Do We Say To The God Of Death?  (Read 16009 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: What Do We Say To The God Of Death?
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2021, 10:31:08 AM »
*Sigh* If us Scandinavians had been equally blessed with frizzy hair like that, *that* is how I would ask my Iraqui-kurd barber to style it.

Lovely work, Dylan. Truly.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 06:50:03 AM by Hammers »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2021, 04:30:28 PM »
You should get your hair permed and do it anyway, H. If you still have that magnificent beard a huge blond Shilluk Barnet would go perfectly with it. We have the technology! Do it!

Might not be any more for a while. While I have been managing to avoid the God of Death, my laptap has not been so lucky. No way to edit and upload photos until it has been fixed or replaced. This PS4 might be great for watching Amazon Prime or playing Red Dead Redemption, but when it comes to photography it is a dunce. So I'll just keep on with the painting and do some uploads when things improve on that front.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2021, 09:52:14 PM »
......I think they'd also do as 'generic' tribesmen in an Alan Quatermain game.....

There is no better reason for getting any native figures than a Quatermain game.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2021, 10:15:34 PM »
Very well executed Dylan. Hope your new laptop works out for you.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2021, 09:46:14 PM »
Bloody brilliant! Middle-Earth 1938, you wag...  lol lol lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2021, 08:13:42 PM »
No.s 23, 24, 25 & 26: The Shilluk

(Copplestone Castings)

Back at the Stupid Hair Finals, a late showing by the Shilluk, with some fine examples of follicular folly. Unfortunately we've just heard that another of the teams (believed to be the Gogo) has lodged an official complaint. They claim that the Shilluk are ineligible, as they come from the Sudan, which is outside the East African finals' catchment area. The Shilluk have challenged this complaint, their defence being that while Sudan is officially in North Africa, they are from South Sudan, which is in East Africa.

It is reported that the Gogo response is that this is supposed to be 1861, and therefore there is no such country as South Sudan.

These ill-omened buggers have been on my desk since 2018. In fact they were there awaiting paint just as I was rushed to hospital. Consequently I have avoided even looking at them, as they were unpleasant reminders of a very rough time. But now they are done, and good riddance to 'em! Lovely figures, mind. Copps is still my favourite sculptor. But so big! His scale creep is really getting out of hand, I feel. His range was meant to be an extension of the one he did for Foundry, but if they get much bigger, they won't be compatible at all! Oh well...

The inhabitants of this region are some of the darkest-skinned people on the planet, so I decided to ditch my usual method for Africans  and try something else. I think it is still a work in progress and needs refinement, but a just-about satisfactory start to coming up with a formula for the darker flesh tones (though to be honest, in the photo they don't look all that different to my usual efforts). We'll see if I can improve it any if I ever do more of these guys.

Oh, by the way... A bit belated, but for the absolute darkest skin tone, you might want to try adding some blue or purple (a VERY small amount, mind you) or reducing the amount of yellow in your mix (play around to see what's best for you), since the darkest skin tones start to overwhelm any ruddy tint at all.

Here's an example of someone who doesn't have quite the darkest skin tone, but whose picture is still useful because she's right on the edge of that group, so with some varied lighting her face shows aspects of both merely dark skin and truly "coal black" skin (of course "coal black", is a misnomer which only confuses things because such skin still possesses as complex a colour as anyone else's).

EDIT: Bottom right is a more uniform example of the same phenomenon. Again, you'll note how little any yellow is present, and that such dark skin begins to actually have a uniquely cooler tone than you normally see with skin colours, even fairly dark ones.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 08:25:11 PM by FramFramson »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2021, 05:45:46 PM »
Thanks, Fram. Some ideas to play around with there. African skin is normally my bread and butter, but the 'coal black' that you'd want for these guys is something that I think is very difficult to master. If I'm honest, I'm not sure I've seen many (or indeed any) painted figures that pulled it off to any great degree.  But I like a challenge and I shall incorporate these ideas next time.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2021, 06:48:24 PM »
Can't wait to see!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2022, 06:52:04 PM »
Stupid dead laptop and a touch of the Covid kind of wrecked my comeback plans last year, but I'm back, baby! These guys all have their own thread (Link), which will no doubt explain what the hell they are about, but may as well post them here in the log too:

No. 27: Brunhild

(North Star)

No.28: Venus

(Brother Vinni)

No.29, 30 and 31: Various attendant nymphs

(Hasslefree)

No. 32 and 33: Tannhäuser kneeling and Tannhäuser not kneeling

(Can't remember and Crusader Minis)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2022, 07:15:43 PM »
Brilliant work Dyl!!  :o :o

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2022, 12:16:13 AM »
Brilliant! Thank you for posting this! A great thread! Gorgeous brushwork! Very helpful explanation of painting skin tones!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2023, 03:25:50 PM »
Lapsed into another slump after a second COVID bout (Plynkes, you can't keep blaming COVID for everything! Stop it!). Found painting slow and very difficult once again, and got a bit dispirited at the quality of my output. But recently I've acquired a renewed interest in actually playing with these little toys of ours, thanks to a few games of Congo with my nephew, and then being put on to Five Leagues from the Borderlands by a good friend. So with a new 'get them on the table attitude' I've taken up the brush once more and am enjoying it again.

You can tell you are back in the groove when you realise it is past midnight and you are still painting.  :)

No.s 34 to 44: Five Leagues From the Borderlands

A few members of our warband on the left, and on the right some old GW LotR figures because we needed some more baddies.

Five Leagues is a solo/co-op fantasy skirmish game that doesn't require too many figures per battle, and has a rather nice procedurally-generated campaign system that makes a story for you as you go. Really enjoying it at the moment. So not only I am a painter again, I'm a gamer once more too.

Only six more to go and I win! (oh dear, I'm gonna get hit by a bus now I've said that)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2023, 06:22:12 AM »
I quite like the narrative campaign mechanics of Five Leagues. Brilliant painting yet again. Good to see you back in the groove mate. 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2023, 05:51:25 PM »
Blinking marvellous Dylan. Great to see you back at it  :)

Mind the bus  lol

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2023, 12:02:39 PM »
lovely work. :-*
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing