Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:32:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 563
Total: 565

Recent

Author Topic: Viking vs Saxon shields question  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
Viking vs Saxon shields question
« on: October 02, 2020, 05:01:28 PM »
Hi guys,

I am currently working a "dark ages" buildlings terrain set, inspired by historical Norse/Viking and Anglo-Saxon architecture styles but also going into Fantasy terrain with optional deco elements.

For decoration options I have made Viking shields, the round ones with different color options. I wanted to start making some Saxon ones too but in my google research Saxon shields look like the Viking ones. Did they have any outstanding visual difference that I can use compared to the Viking ones?

I have attached a sample page of my Viking shields rendition. Any help would be much appreciated!

Chris

« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 06:31:10 PM by Papierschnitzel »

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
Re: Viking vs Saxon shields question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 06:29:20 PM »
If your Vikings are pagans I would think it unlikely that their shields would sport crosses...

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 06:33:56 PM »
If your Vikings are pagans I would think it unlikely that their shields would sport crosses...

The cross shape patterns was something I have seen often when googling for those shields. I'd happy, if you can point me towards other and maybe historically accurate designs.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 07:18:56 PM »

Unless they're a part of Haadrada's invasion force in 1066 when a good proportion of them would at least be paying lip service to being Christian. In fact, many would be.

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 07:44:17 PM »
Unless they're a part of Haadrada's invasion force in 1066 when a good proportion of them would at least be paying lip service to being Christian. In fact, many would be.

Or Sven Forkbeard (986 king of Denmark, 1013 King of England) or Cnut Svenson (King of England in 1016), both of whom were Christian (and kings of England, Cnut being regarded as a very good king by contemporaries and historians alike). 

Then there is also St. Olaf, his armies wore the cross (circa. 1015 King of Norway, and many conflicts with the pagans in Norway). Harald Bluetooth was a Christian, being the first Christian king of Denmark in 958AD.  See also Rollo the Granger (~911AD conquers Normandy and converts to Christianity).

So plenty of Christian Vikings running about, even before these kings converted. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 01:29:16 PM by Maniac »
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 08:02:49 PM »
Or Sven Forkbeard (986 king of Denmark, 1013 King of England) or Cnut Svenson (King of England in 1016), both of whom were Christian (and kinds of England, Cnut being regarded as a very good king by contemporaries and historians alike). 

Then there is also St. Olaf, his armies wore the cross (circa. 1015 King of Norway, and many conflicts with the pagans in Norway). Harald Bluetooth was a Christian, being the first Christian king of Denmark in 958AD.  See also Rollo the Granger (~911AD conquers Normandy and converts to Christianity).

So plenty of Christian Vikings running about, even before these kings converted.

indeed. There are plenty of examples. We could have mentioned the Rus for instance :)

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 09:06:23 PM »
But back to the original question  :) do you know of differences in the Saxon and Viking shields or was that basically the same design?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 09:40:56 PM »
But back to the original question  :) do you know of differences in the Saxon and Viking shields or was that basically the same design?

I would look at some serious re-enactment sites. The answer I suspect is that we simply don't know as leather and pigmentation is perishable.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 06:00:37 AM »
I would look at some serious re-enactment sites. The answer I suspect is that we simply don't know as leather and pigmentation is perishable.

That makes much sense! Thank you  :)

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 08:03:31 AM »
Viking and Saxon shield designs in illustrations of the era (pretty thin on the ground) are basically the same, but with a preponderance of crosses on the Saxon side. However, we have to take into account that those illustrations were invariably done by Christian monks, who would (a) tend to big up their own side, (b) would want to clearly distinguish between the Christian armies and the pagan hordes, and (c) would most likely have just drawn the sorts of shields they'd be able to see around them. They weren't often great at distinguishing accuracy of detail.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 10:45:39 AM »
Some Saxon Huscarl figures come with kite shields. I don’t know how historically widespread the use of them was compared to round shields, but it might be a good way to distinguish between Saxons and Vikings. Falls apart if you end up doing Normans too though  lol

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 10:50:07 AM »
Some Saxon Huscarl figures come with kite shields. I don’t know how historically widespread the use of them was compared to round shields, but it might be a good way to distinguish between Saxons and Vikings. Falls apart if you end up doing Normans too though  lol

I think it's safe to say that Kite Shields were more widespread in the 11th CE than is indicated in the Bayeux Tapestry. I remember having an hour long conversation with Darren from Gripping Beast on this subject possibly 20 years ago!

If military technology provides an advantage, and you can afford it, or even deem it fashionable, you can bet it was adopted to a large degree.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 06:55:13 AM »
This is what I love about this hobby. I have enjoyed history since I was a kid but what I am learning through the research for my tabletop projects ... it's so fascinating! Thank you guys for all your help!!!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 08:43:43 AM »
This is what I love about this hobby. I have enjoyed history since I was a kid but what I am learning through the research for my tabletop projects ... it's so fascinating! Thank you guys for all your help!!!

No probs at all. I'm happy to offer any input that I can. :)