Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:54:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690843
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ideas for a small Orc army please!  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
Ideas for a small Orc army please!
« on: October 03, 2020, 09:20:30 AM »
Hey guys, I just bought a small wood elf army from Reaper. I grabbed unicorns, dryads, faeries, fauns, wolves, centaurs and anything vaguely woodlands/forest related as well as archers, wardancers etc. It makes for a nice range of miniatures, lots of different units to make the force look interesting and play well.

I'm putting together an Orc army to oppose it, but the range of Orc miniatures at Reaper is a lot slimmer. Most of their Orcs are semi-handsome paladins these days! I can't think of a similar range of unit types that fit an orc army.
Obviously I have Orcs and Goblins, some trolls and ogres and goblin wolf riders, but that's where I hit the wall. What else fits an orc army? Ettin? A dragon? I suppose a chariot, some kind of war machine but I'm more interested in different races and beasts that suit the force. Any ideas? I'm really disappointed with what I've put together so far, its just orcs, orcs and more orcs.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
Re: Ideas for a small Orc army please!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 09:34:38 AM »
I am not very familiar with Reaper ranges, so my apologies in advance of the following suggestions don't fit with what is available. On the other hand if you're happy mixing ranges then perhaps it's of some use.

Giant spiders / carrion bats ala Tolkien? Wyverns seem to be the dragon substitute for Orcs. Barbarian men as Orc slaves/ vassals? Depending on the tech level you want for your fluff a crude destructive war machine of some kind like a cannon or fire thrower? And of course you have those horrid trolls...

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 10:17:56 AM »
Giants, trolls, etc should work ok. Some of the Reaper ogres would likely also work well.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 10:34:27 AM »
Wolves/Wargs, Half-Orcs, Hobgoblins, Bugbears and an evil wizard to bind them all to his/her will?

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 01:04:19 PM »
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 02:02:24 AM »
I'd kind of mixed a lot of nomadic and barbarian tropes into my Orc force.

They've got the mammoths and woolly rhinos as part of their force with skirmishers on terror birds and the like. They're nomadic and use the same beasts to transport their camps around. Normally the larger beasties are handled by the females of the tribes, smaller ones and foot fighters are the males.

Sure, mine aren't as warlike as most Orcs, and have kind of settled into a pattern of movement between settlements of other groups, their animals letting them haul large quantities of things around for trade, but if you start a fight, they've got the bulk for it.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 06:23:45 AM »
Chaos Knights in crazy armour.  Evil floating eye/ beholder.  Some sort of pet monstrosity - something that causes mindless destruction, restrained by chains and has either too many legs or no legs at all.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 06:26:22 AM »
Oh, and some sort of flying (or burrowing) swarm.  Crows and bats if you are more conservative, some sort of weird insectoid or mutant creature.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 12:21:41 PM »
The joy of Orcs is they are so ubiquitous, you have have any amount of terrain-specific beasties involved. Desert Orcs can have giant scorpions, Hill Orcs have giants, Swamp Orcs have trolls, Plains Orcs have wolves, Forest Orcs have giant spiders, Chaos Orcs have ... well, anything chaotic. And of course, they can all have all of them, because it's fun. I recall Orcs always used to have giant bats or crows back in the day (for to block out the sun) and swarms of stuff in general. Jabberwocks I always liked as well, just cos.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter