Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:59:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690581
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 771
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [COMMERCIAL] Empress Miniatures Hollywood Western Range NEW Release.  (Read 15470 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Re: Empress Miniatures Hollywood Western Range Preview.
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2020, 03:01:46 PM »
Dixon, Foundry, Hinchcliffe, Gringo40, etc etc.

Those old timers, and has beens should be out on the stoop, in their rocking chairs anyway!!!

:P
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2020, 03:04:07 PM »
I do have a pack of MDF rocking chairs, just never got into the swing of them.

By the way Harry,  'has been'  to me ????!!!!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2020, 03:05:22 PM »
Come and get it!!!

Erm, where's Ethan Edwards then!!!???

:-[

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2020, 03:07:34 PM »
I do have a pack of MDF rocking chairs, just never got into the swing of them.

By the way Harry,  'has been'  to me ????!!!!

"That's mighty bold talk!!!"

>:(

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2020, 03:38:05 PM »

Not sure what you mean by established ranges as you do not list them and Empress design ranges to work within the realms of their ranges. I would imagine most others do as well. I cannot imagine that the Perry twins start a new range by looking at the competition and trying to match them. Its not how companies seem to work. We certainly do not. 

Thanks for the reply.   By 'established' (and I could have used 'existing' or 'other current') I was referring to Knuckleduster, Artizan and Foundry.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2020, 03:57:52 PM »
Cheers for the clarification.  ;)

I think I answered your questions? Say if not.  :)

Ooooggghhhh and I love your buildings blogg  :-*
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 04:00:08 PM by Paul @ Empress Miniatures »

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
Re: Empress Miniatures Hollywood Western Range Released.
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2020, 07:51:51 PM »
The subject of size comparison is always a bit of a thorny one, not potentially embarrassing all round  lol
Paul's already posted a pic with Empress's Boss Spears alongside my "Tall Stranger" prototype figure for Galloping Major's The Western Range, so I thought I would take a quick, if not very pretty, comparison picture of the same "Tall Stranger" alongside some others from my collection, as my chaps are close in size to the new Empress ones.
I'm trying the attachment route for the picture for the first time, hope I get it right.
Left to right: Foundry by the more than estimable Mark Copplestone, I thought these were small when they came out in the mid 90s, even alongside other Foundry ranges at the time, but they were so superbly done and such charming little chaps I couldn't resist them. Next, Foundry's next tranche in the distinctive style of Mike Owen - jumping from 25mm to 28mm with aplomb - so when talking about how well other ranges work alongside Foundry's, it's not so clear cut as all that. Then another of mine from the Hired Guns & Hard Cases pack, before ending up again with the Tall Stranger.
Hardly a comprehensive comparison I know, much like Paul, I don't have any Knuckleduster, but from what I had seen elsewhere, I was under the impression that they were actually larger than ours - perhaps mark could help with that one.
Personally, I can live quite happily with different sized figures on a table - to a point, my older Foundry ones might be pushing it just a bit even for me, but you pays your money and takes your choice. As for size of buildings etc, I have found no problems with any of the commercial ranges I've seen, I may have to build a bit higher mountain though  lol
So if you're a devotee of the older ranges (somewhere I still have some of those Hinchliffe westerners from the 70s - which were pretty tall compared to most ranges at the time), then you may be put off a tad by the larger of the 28s, but I'm really sure we can keep the peace - as long as I haven't stirred up more disdain from all ends  ;) lol
Cheers,
Lance

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2020, 10:06:41 AM »
Thanks Lance. That clarifies things very well.

So onwards and upwards.

Everett Hitch : "Like my father, I'd been West Point, and I was good at soldiering. But soldiering didn't allow for much expansion of the soul. So after the War Between the States and a year of fighting Indians, I turned in my commission and rode away to see how much I could expand it. First time I met Virgil Cole was when I and my eight-gauge backed him up in a showdown he was having with some drunken mountain men. Virgil asked me right there on the spot if I'd care to partner up with him and his peacekeeping business. Which is why I was with him now, and why I still carry the eight-gauge. We'd been keeping the peace together for the last dozen years or so. And as we looked down on a town called Appaloosa, I had no reason to doubt we'd be doing just that for the foreseeable future."

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2020, 07:52:48 AM »
Nice picture again indeed.
As I don't have any old Cowboy figures in my metal mountain ,jet to be painted , I am happy with the size of the figures and can't wait to try out my contrast color painting technique on some of them.
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2020, 07:58:21 AM »
Thanks Tom.  ;)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2020, 05:51:34 PM »
Paul,
        I for one am very happy to see that they will match with Black Scorpion.  I will be buying some for sure!  Are the mounted/dismounted only available as sets?  I’d prefer to just buy the foot versions.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 06:48:24 PM by NickNascati »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2020, 07:51:40 PM »
Shame nobody makes "larger than life" terrain to go with them then. ::)
Sarissa do 40mm scale Old West/South of the Border.
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2019/04/adobe-jail-sarissa-40mm-scale.html
And TT Combat are larger than 28mm scale.

And some scale photographs of a [edit - 28mm scale] Sarissa building.
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2017/04/sarissa-shack-comparative-photographs.html
William Killian is of a comparable size to Empress moderns.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 05:39:14 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2020, 11:04:28 PM »
Look like it is going to be an excellent range.  And glad to hear some "High Chaparral" figures may be coming down the road.

If you are open to at least listening to requests, I would like to suggest Bob Valdez from "Valdez is Coming", probably my favorite Western.  I have neve seen a figure that matches that character well.

-Michael

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2020, 10:35:30 AM »
Paul,
        I for one am very happy to see that they will match with Black Scorpion.  I will be buying some for sure!  Are the mounted/dismounted only available as sets?  I’d prefer to just buy the foot versions.

Yes as they are set in moulds in sets. However some characters will be only sold in dismounted figures due to their character. For example the Baxter Boys are all dismounted only.

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2020, 10:37:57 AM »
Sarissa do 40mm scale Old West/South of the Border.
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2019/04/adobe-jail-sarissa-40mm-scale.html
And TT Combat are larger than 28mm scale.

And some scale photographs of a Sarissa building.
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2017/04/sarissa-shack-comparative-photographs.html
William Killian is of a comparable size to Empress moderns.

Thanks for that  ;) although the terrain comment is a Red Herring as the figures work very well with standard off the shelf 28mm terrain. Check the pictures I have been putting up and you can see the terrain is pretty standard. The wooden stables for example is from Charlie Foxtrot.