Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:09:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 754
Total: 759

Recent

Author Topic: What to do next - throw some ideas at me  (Read 866 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
What to do next - throw some ideas at me
« on: October 04, 2020, 11:46:28 AM »
At the start of this year, I set myself a task of clearing my leadpile. As in, completely.

Yes, I know, it's almost uheard of.

As it stands, I think by the end of the year I will actually have achieved this (although that did include selling off a variety of stuff, so I can't claim I've painted the lot!)

However, I'm stumped as to what I want to do next. I have a list of possibles, but nothing which has really captured me:

- More BF&S Transylvanians (15mm)
- Continue my Maximilian Adventure collection (28mm) but for which I'll have to use proxies - Perry Triple Alliance look like a good option there
- Spanish Succession (15mm) Spanish
- C14th Italian (15mm)
- C16th Ottomans (15mm) to go with my C16th collection
- WW1 East Africa. Probably in 10mm.
- Border Reivers in 28mm
- Monmouth's Rebellion in 15mm
- Hussites (probably 10mm due to a lack of ranges I like in 15mm)

Trying to be rational in terms of doing projects which I can use the scenery I already have for, and stick to just a couple of scales too.

Germany in 1919 I think would be quite interesting to do, but it's the lack of scenery ranges which holds me back.

I'm wondering whether I should pick something completely different from the above, totally new.

So - as a bit of inspiration, any suggestions?
Ideally with a decent variety in troop types and availability of figures, but otherwise maybe something totally different would spark my interest.

Thanks!

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: What to do next - throw some ideas at me
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 02:05:29 PM »
The possibilities are endless really. Could you list the forces/periods you already do?

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 02:10:55 PM »
1) Choose  a range of figures you like the look of.
2) Buy a FEW figures.
3) Fight a game or two under a favourite set/style of rules.
4) If you enjoyed the above:-
     Buy more & paint more (Important you do a FEW at a time)
    If you didn't enjoy the above:-
    Start again at 1) with other figures.

May I suggest the following:-
     Western Gunfight,  Anything with Tricorn hats, Ancients (lots of choice here),
     Space ships, Naval (anything from Greeks through WW1+2 to modern).

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 02:15:36 PM »
Maybe linked to your C16th Ottomans, but a little different - how about the Great Siege of Malta in 1565? It's such an epic conflict.

But if it's variety of troop types you're after, how about the Crusades? There's any number of different armies you can choose from, plus any number of different troop types. And of course, the Lion Rampant Crusades book has just been released and is available from Northstar (for now, apparently it's selling fast).
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Donkeymilkman

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 02:40:37 PM »

Germany in 1919 I think would be quite interesting to do, but it's the lack of scenery ranges which holds me back.

I was thinking about doing the revolts and revolutions under the Weimar Republic myself. I was struggling to figure out what to do scenery wise as I would quite like to do a barricaded street in Berlin, that the Freikorps would have to push the Spartacists out of. I was looking at buildings such as this https://sarissa-precision.com/collections/world-war-europe-28mm/products/european-townhouse-scenery-set-28mm however the amount I would want for effectively a skirmish game blows the budget out of the water for me ,sadly. However, Sarissa have plenty of buildings to emulate a street in Germany if you so wished. Have you considered the Spanish Civil War or the Russian Civil war instead?

If it's German history you are after what about Pendrakens wars of German unification figures in 10mm. The user Ray Rivers has an excellent thread here on the Franco-Prussian war in 10mm http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=126005.0.

Hope this helps
I have nothing important to say so just keep on scrolling.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 04:24:58 PM »
The possibilities are endless really. Could you list the forces/periods you already do?

Very true!  lol
That's probably half my problem, but I've never bee quite this stumped before.

Core long-term projects I keep coming back to are:
- Maximillian Adventure in 28mm
- C16th Europe in 15mm
- By Fire and Sword (Eastern European Late C17th) in 15mm

So, not many - but that said:
Every time I've tried fantasy or sci-fi I've ended up selling them off and think I've finally learned my lesson.
Likewise ECW I have had and got rid of.
Likewise Mexican Revolution.
Likewise WW2 Early, Late, Russian Front, Poland.
Napoleonics I've never found a ruleset I can get on with, and likewise for C19th European Wars.

Spanish Civil War is a 'one day'. Russian Civil War I always wanted to do until I read 'The Bloody White Baron' and since then I've never had any desire to do RCW as a wargame.

Now it just sounds like I'm being picky!

Maybe linked to your C16th Ottomans, but a little different - how about the Great Siege of Malta in 1565? It's such an epic conflict.

Absolutely, this is one of my favourite epics of history, hands down. I'm just hoping Khurasan might release some figures suitable for the Knights of St John as all my C16th are Khurasan and they already have plenty of figures for other troop types, plus the opposition. So Malta 1565 is more a question of when, not if  :D

Crusades I have sometimes considered - the advantage of later C14th though being I could do Free Companies, Chioggia, and the Alexandrian and Savoyard Crusades all from the same basis, so if I went medieval it would likely be later.

Sarissa have plenty of buildings to emulate a street in Germany if you so wished.

I hadn't seen those! Thanks. That brings something new to the equation, although you're right it's a lot of outlay for a relatively small game.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 04:26:56 PM »
1) Choose  a range of figures you like the look of.
2) Buy a FEW figures.
3) Fight a game or two under a favourite set/style of rules.
4) If you enjoyed the above:-
     Buy more & paint more (Important you do a FEW at a time)
    If you didn't enjoy the above:-
    Start again at 1) with other figures.

This is what I keep telling myself. But I keep losing interest before I get anywhere.

Mind you, if I did that with the Trojan War and built up from skirmish to battle...

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 05:13:41 PM »
Sarissa have plenty of buildings to emulate a street in Germany if you so wished.

You could emulate our model railway brethren & do the streets in
low relief. That is to say, find some suitable pictures of building
frontages. Photo-copy them & paste onto frontages. Voila your
street ready for fighting over.