Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:50:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690822
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oathmark - Who's Playing?  (Read 65331 times)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: Oathmark - Who's Playing?
« Reply #540 on: January 29, 2021, 09:30:22 PM »
That's a good point, I suppose freelance is a good option for him - I imagine Osprey are a good deal easier to go freelance with than a certain other large company in the biz.

I also saw the next supplement title, but can't remember it either.  lol
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #542 on: January 29, 2021, 09:47:57 PM »
Bane of Kings
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oathmark-Bane-Kings-Joseph-McCullough/dp/1472847695

Nice, good spot! If that's in June I'd expect another one at the end of the year some time.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #543 on: January 31, 2021, 02:16:23 PM »
The next expansion will have rules for unit types like skirmishers, pike blocks etc
This does put me off looking into the game a bit to be honest.
I was happy with Osprey's supplement format for Frostgrave (the first of their games I've really delved into that required multiple separate books), as the core book had everything required, and the supplements just added new scenarios, items and creatures that were meant to be used together - while many things could be combined, it was often fine or indeed logical to just use one supplement at a time, as the tunnel-fighting soldiers would mainly make sense using the tunnel-fighting rules of the Breeding Pits, and the anti-undead weapons were mainly useful when fighting the many undead of the Lich Lord. So most of the time, you only needed 2 books for any game, and they could be freely combined or omitted as desired.

Oathmark, however, just feels a bit more like an incomplete game from the start - perhaps enough is included for a good game, but some parts that you'd like and expect to see aren't there yet, and instead planned for a future supplement. Perhaps it's also the fact that those aren't as "narrative" additions as those in Frostgrave supplements that annoys me a bit. I like the concept of the game and reviews look good overall, but having basic gameplay elements missing and split over several supplements makes me more inclined to waiting for a compendium or new edition in the future.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline bobhope

• Bookworm
« Reply #544 on: January 31, 2021, 04:09:07 PM »
So after a quick try out managed to get a bigger game started with the kids today
Simple mechanics really make it attractive for them, and game flows pretty well once adapted to the basics

Feels a lot like warhammer shieldwall- which for me is a good thing

Attritional battles so far- but good for concepts of counter charging blown cavalry, bowmen causing disorder prior to charges

Lack of a few options (long pointy sticks, flat bows, crazy dudes) will be house ruled before next game

Great way to empty the shelves for a weekend, will need a litre of superglue though for repairs 🤪

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #545 on: January 31, 2021, 05:57:39 PM »
The next expansion will have rules for unit types like skirmishers, pike blocks etc
Excellent, as I am just beginning an odyssey.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #546 on: January 31, 2021, 06:03:58 PM »
Great way to empty the shelves for a weekend, will need a litre of superglue though for repairs 🤪
Welcome, and glad you enjoyed the game
No direct fire bow options- seems an odd choice to restrict tactical choices
Not completely sure what you mean, archers have direct fire but also have Fire Over a close friendly unit (Rangers also get Aimed Fire that allows the unit to choose the target rather than the nearest enemy).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 06:06:19 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline bollix

• Bookworm
« Reply #547 on: January 31, 2021, 06:37:10 PM »
This does put me off looking into the game a bit to be honest.
I was happy with Osprey's supplement format for Frostgrave (the first of their games I've really delved into that required multiple separate books), as the core book had everything required, and the supplements just added new scenarios, items and creatures that were meant to be used together - while many things could be combined, it was often fine or indeed logical to just use one supplement at a time, as the tunnel-fighting soldiers would mainly make sense using the tunnel-fighting rules of the Breeding Pits, and the anti-undead weapons were mainly useful when fighting the many undead of the Lich Lord. So most of the time, you only needed 2 books for any game, and they could be freely combined or omitted as desired.

Oathmark, however, just feels a bit more like an incomplete game from the start - perhaps enough is included for a good game, but some parts that you'd like and expect to see aren't there yet, and instead planned for a future supplement. Perhaps it's also the fact that those aren't as "narrative" additions as those in Frostgrave supplements that annoys me a bit. I like the concept of the game and reviews look good overall, but having basic gameplay elements missing and split over several supplements makes me more inclined to waiting for a compendium or new edition in the future.

I have to agree. I've ordered the core book, expect to receive it later this week, but I'm concerned that the core rules aren't really complete and will require a collection of these smaller paperback supplements that won't lie open flat on a table if needed.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #548 on: January 31, 2021, 06:54:53 PM »
I have to agree. I've ordered the core book, expect to receive it later this week, but I'm concerned that the core rules aren't really complete and will require a collection of these smaller paperback supplements that won't lie open flat on a table if needed.

I don't know, I guess people have different tastes, but having actually played the game a whole bunch of times with just core book it does not feel incomplete at all. I did not feel like skirmishers or pikes are missing, they are just not core parts of the game.

From the expansions we have played the new scenarios but not made any great use of new troop types. Still, this is a different type of game than Frostgrave, and it makes sense to me that some new units would be added in new expansions.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #549 on: January 31, 2021, 07:06:50 PM »

I think it has been very complete. The books just add new features. The second expansion is mostly narrative and the third adds the Undead as well as more narrative scenarios.

I would have liked if the rules for skirmishers etc were in the core book but it also makes the core book simpler and also means that if you don't want those aspects in the rules then you are good with just the core book.

I have been having a lot of fun with the core rules and am looking forward to the new expansion just because it will add some new options.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #550 on: January 31, 2021, 08:36:34 PM »
I played at least a dozen Oathmark battles in various sizes, but I never felt, that the basic rules were incomplete... I have both supplements, but didnt feel the urge to try anything of them till now.
Whats in the supplements?
- Scenarios: a narrative addition.
- Engineers, who can build and destroy covers and bridges: nice, like them, built a group of them, will try them, but not indispensable.
- Evolving heroes and units: can be used in simple battles, but its more for a campaign.
- Undeads: well, if you want to play them, then you need the supplement. Yes, it could have been in the basic book.
So everything, except the undead faction, are options to the game, but are not necessary (and its also only then, if you want to play them).

Offline bollix

• Bookworm
« Reply #551 on: January 31, 2021, 08:56:05 PM »
I played at least a dozen Oathmark battles in various sizes, but I never felt, that the basic rules were incomplete... I have both supplements, but didnt feel the urge to try anything of them till now.
Whats in the supplements?
- Scenarios: a narrative addition.
- Engineers, who can build and destroy covers and bridges: nice, like them, built a group of them, will try them, but not indispensable.
- Evolving heroes and units: can be used in simple battles, but its more for a campaign.
- Undeads: well, if you want to play them, then you need the supplement. Yes, it could have been in the basic book.
So everything, except the undead faction, are options to the game, but are not necessary (and its also only then, if you want to play them).

Thanks BZ, that doesn't sound like anything critical was left out of the core book. I look forward to reading the rules once my order arrives.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #552 on: January 31, 2021, 10:28:44 PM »
Thanks BZ, that doesn't sound like anything critical was left out of the core book. I look forward to reading the rules once my order arrives.
Sorry I forgot to mention: rules for using ships is also in a supplement, but I wouldnt label it as necessary either.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #553 on: February 19, 2021, 05:01:30 PM »
Joe posted a neat ‘expendable’ attribute for Oathmark over on his blog.

http://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.com/2021/02/random-musings-on-my-games.html?m=1

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #554 on: February 19, 2021, 05:20:48 PM »
Osprey posted the FAQ and errata recently. It's basically the same one as the fan compilation. Download here:

https://ospreypublishing.com/gaming-resources-other-wargames