Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:43:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Oathmark - Who's Playing?  (Read 63987 times)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Oathmark - Who's Playing?
« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2020, 12:49:02 PM »
There goes this month's order...

Does that include the Skeletons? Still useful if it did not.

I imagine it will once pre-orders come up on the website on Saturday. They ran the same promotion when the last kit was released, the light elven infantry.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2020, 01:19:12 PM »
This quote from the sale site says the Skeletons are included:

You can have any combination you want. You might want five boxes of the new Skeleton Infantry. You might want one of the new Skeleton Infantry, then a box of the Elf Infantry & three boxes of Goblins to fight them. No problem. Just let us know. If you forget to say, don't worry, we'll email you.

Looks like shipping to the US is going to negate the savings from the free box. I guess I can consider 5 boxes with free shipping then?

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2020, 04:31:39 PM »

Let us hope that this and the future books do not re-use art published before as was the case in the first supplement.

After the asbolutely glorious Core Rulebook the first supplement was a bit lackluster in production quality (reused art, print & paper quality) but I have high hopes that future supplements will be much better!

To borrow one of Lily Allen's less expurgatable bons mots, my thoughts exactly. The new content in the first supplement didn't warrant a book at all, and amounted to taking the piss. The joint publishers are really going to have to do better if they're not to sacrifice a lot of the goodwill they've earned with the quality of the core book (proof-reading aside).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:20:07 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2020, 05:02:26 PM »
After the asbolutely glorious Core Rulebook the first supplement was a bit lackluster in production quality (reused art, print & paper quality) but I have high hopes that future supplements will be much better!

A bit of a habit with Osprey. They had the same issues with IHMN and Dracula's America. The content was good but the quality of the books fell off.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2020, 05:04:22 PM »
To borrow one of Lily Allen's less expurgatable bons mots, my thoughts exactly. The new content in the first supplement didn't warrant a book at all, and amounted to taking the piss. The joint  publishers rally going to have to do better if they're not to sacrifice a lot of the goodwill they've earned with the quality of the core book (proof-reading aside).

That is perhaps the realities of the business model. Expansions often don't sell as well as the original rules so they try to limit the size of them to decrease costs.

At least the first expansion was thematic with its focus on water themes.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2020, 07:23:40 PM »
A bit of a habit with Osprey. They had the same issues with IHMN and Dracula's America. The content was good but the quality of the books fell off.

I have all three of the Dracula's America books. The core is hardback and the two expansions are softback. I'm ok with that. The two expansions do have unique art though relevant to the new posses and settings contained within their covers. I don't recall the whole page images being repeats as I hear about in the Oathmark expansion.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2020, 07:51:32 PM »
As surprised as I was about the production choices in regards to the first expansion I do have huge stores of good will towards the Oathmark product and am therefore assuming that the next supplements will be getting more care.

It is very possible that this is just Osprey and Northstar getting into their groove with something they have not done before (longterm-plan mass battle game with extensive miniature line). As said, I am optimistic in this case!

Plus: Although I don't want to defend the product too much, the reuse of artworks could have been due to the whole Corona chaos going on right at the release of the product. The new products do seem to have new and original artwork.

I can't as yet say much about the textual contents of Battlesworn bun in this regard I think it is not unreasonable to hope that Oathbreakers will pack more punch content-wise. We are getting a whole new playable faction after all. Again: I am optimistic :)
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2020, 08:45:01 PM »
Agreed. I currently have tons of goodwill towards all the parties involved with this project.

With Rangers of Shadow Deep and Frostgrave's solo book, McCullough seems keen on solo gaming. I never thought I would land there, but the times being what they are, I wonder if Oathmark will have some solo rules/scenarios as well?

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2020, 08:52:25 PM »
I wonder if Oathmark will have some solo rules/scenarios as well?

Oathmark plays fine solo without any changes. You roll to activate units and the activation alternates between sides so its pretty easy to play both sides without any additional rules

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2020, 08:58:44 PM »
Goblin slaves and slave slingers towards the back!
Page 184, well spotted that man!

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2020, 09:14:51 PM »
Agreed. I currently have tons of goodwill towards all the parties involved with this project.

With Rangers of Shadow Deep and Frostgrave's solo book, McCullough seems keen on solo gaming. I never thought I would land there, but the times being what they are, I wonder if Oathmark will have some solo rules/scenarios as well?

Solo scenarios could be a possibility, but with these I would guess that they would be published as PDF / somewhere online. And of course there is the possibility of the community around the game building some of these.

As for myself I will use the probably soon to be happening Lockdown 2.0 in Germany to actually get something done in regards to my Oathmark armies. Hit a bit of a plateau there and need to power through!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2020, 04:30:28 PM »
I'm struggling a bit on if I want to go squares or rounds for the model bases. The models I use for Oathmark will also be used for Rangers of Shadow Deep to a large degree. Rounds seem to make the most sense for skirmish games, and I could use the trays to rank them up, but to be honest I don't like the trays having those gaps when models are removed. It's a visual thing that's all, but bugs me a little. Plus, proper old school rank-n-flank is on square bases touching one another.

I played tons of Mordheim back in the day on squares. Maybe I do squares?

I dunno...

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2020, 04:45:31 PM »
I ordered / used these and never looked back:

https://www.radaddel.de/tabletop-depot/20mm-x-20mm-bases-eckbases?number=112243

Some trimming of the molded on bases is necessary but it works just fine (for the models released so far. It works because these 20mms are a little bit more angular than the GW ones).

In case you want the official unit block frontage, try these:

https://sarissa-precision.com/collections/oathmark/products/125x50mm-movement-tray-for-20x20mm-bases-skirmish-style

I use these because I like the smaller footprint:

https://sarissa-precision.com/collections/for-20x20mm-bases/products/5x2-movement-tray-for-20x20mm-bases

I absolutely adore the square base look (after basing lots of stuff on rounds for countless skirmish games). In case you would want to be more flexible, maybe base on rounds and try these:

https://www.renedra.co.uk/product/25mm-diameter-recessed-movement-tray-10-spaces-per-tray-plus-40-x-25mm-diameter-bases/

Ah, ist just re-read your post again and you know all of this. So all I can say is: I share our aesthetic sentiments regarding square bases in close contact and chose 20x20 squares  8)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2020, 05:37:52 PM »
I'm struggling a bit on if I want to go squares or rounds for the model bases. The models I use for Oathmark will also be used for Rangers of Shadow Deep to a large degree. Rounds seem to make the most sense for skirmish games, and I could use the trays to rank them up, but to be honest I don't like the trays having those gaps when models are removed. It's a visual thing that's all, but bugs me a little. Plus, proper old school rank-n-flank is on square bases touching one another.

When I played War of the Rings I found that just putting the models (with round bases) on a textured tray was good enough to keep the models in place.

I sanded and painted the trays so that when I removed models there wasn't a jarring visual but the added bonus was that the sand made the models stay in place quite nicely.

I did the same for all my square based models as you can see on my blog

https://zacgaming.wordpress.com/2020/07/20/oathmark-2000pt-elf-force/
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 05:40:37 PM by pixelgeek »

Offline mruk

• Assistant
« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2020, 09:27:42 PM »
Rounds seem to make the most sense for skirmish games, and I could use the trays to rank them up, but to be honest I don't like the trays having those gaps when models are removed. It's a visual thing that's all, but bugs me a little.

You could always fill the gaps with some empty bases with grass and some spare shields and weapons. It would mark casualties.