Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:02:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690340
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hundred Years War skirmish ruleset ?  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Maspalio

• Scientist
Hundred Years War skirmish ruleset ?
« on: October 07, 2020, 09:33:52 AM »
Hi Gentle LAFERS

I've always been interested in Hundred Years war and  each time  I look to Perry miniatures I feel that one day I'll not resist buying some of the wonderful plastic HYW miniatures  ;D

that's why I'm coming for some information...is there somewhere a good skirmish ruleset for this period ?

I'm more a fantasy/sci fi guy and don't know much more about historical rulesets, that's why I need some help

Thanks in advance guys :)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Hundred Years War skirmish ruleset ?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 09:37:42 AM »
Lion Rampant, written by Daniel Mersey, and published by Osprey, works well for the Hundred Years War.

It is a very simple and fast moving game. It is designed for small armies but can also work with larger forces and multiple players.

The activation of units is very clever and often frustrating but certainly adds value to the game.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 11:14:56 AM »
This is something that I've been trying to hunt down for for 25 years so I'm not sure how much use my input will be.

what size game are you looking for? What table size and how many mini's per side?

As Mick has said Lion Rampant is a great set of rules and a lot of fun. I don't think I've ever played a LR game without plenty of requisite guffawing and rolling around!

If you're looking for a medium size game, say 100 mini's per side then Never mind the Billhooks, free with Wargames Illustrated 393, is looking excellent. I say looking as I have not been able to play a game due to the Covid restrictions etc etc.

There's a NMTBH Facebook Group where ideas are sometimes being banded about for other periods so it might be worth joining the group and seeing what is what.

You ought to be able smoothly convert/amend NMTBH to the HYW without much difficulty.

There's also a set of rules called Pig Wars, an excellent skirmish game meant for the 'Dark Ages' and our group converted it for use for the HYW and had some killer games. I don't know if Pig Wars is still available but an online supplier of pdf's such as Wargames Vault might have a copy. I would send you the amendments but I fear they are lost in one of my old steam powered laptops :(

Offline Andreas Johansson

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 01:22:36 PM »
Lion Rampant is good if you're looking for a fairly large sort of skirmish.

Not sure what to recommend for really small figure counts, like single digits.

Offline heinzknitz

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 01:42:21 PM »
For small skirmishes and multiplayer games with small miniature counts I can recommend "Fistful of Lead". Standard groups are 5 to around 10 minis per player, I think ideal to play a lance / retinue.
The rules are fast and fun, usable for many periods and settings and certainly available at Wargame Vault.
There is a Thread "The robber Knights..." at the forum. Fantastic inspiring terrain and really cool AAR.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 04:11:00 AM »
For small skirmishes and multiplayer games with small miniature counts I can recommend "Fistful of Lead". Standard groups are 5 to around 10 minis per player, I think ideal to play a lance / retinue.
The rules are fast and fun, usable for many periods and settings and certainly available at Wargame Vault.
There is a Thread "The robber Knights..." at the forum. Fantastic inspiring terrain and really cool AAR.

A Fistful of Lead: Bigger Battles could also work for larger skirmishes since the rules are flexible regarding unit sizes.  I was thinking about using that ruleset for the Time of Legends: Joan of Arc models I'm awaiting to receive.

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 09:52:39 AM »
We are using Warlords of Erewhon.
A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 10:57:17 AM »
For small skirmishes I recommend Songs of Blades and Heroes!  One of the easiest games I know with excellent balancing. At the currrent price absolutely worth looking into!
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 12:06:22 PM »
I would recommend you start with Fist Full of lead
 (as said only a few figures needed) & an enjoyable easy game.
Then, as you paint more you can move on to FFofL Big Battles OR
Lion Rampant. Both are good sets of rules.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 12:39:32 PM »
A Fistful of Lead: Bigger Battles could also work for larger skirmishes since the rules are flexible regarding unit sizes.  I was thinking about using that ruleset for the Time of Legends: Joan of Arc models I'm awaiting to receive.

i second that !
Bigger battle or the regular Fistful of Lead core rules can be the good choice, especially for a multiplayers game  ;)
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline Arcane Steve

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 03:29:33 PM »
A second recommendation for 'Nevermind the Bill Hooks'. A numberof  gamers have already adapted it successfully but if you can wait, specific rules for the 100 years war will be available in a supplement to be published next year.

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 04:33:14 PM »
What about Barons' War coming out from Footsore?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 10:30:12 PM »
What about Barons' War coming out from Footsore?

I have not got the rules, but, going on the assumption that they are good for the 13thC then one would assume they would convert very easily for the 'HYW'