Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:24:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690722
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Question British infantry in campaign dress FIW.  (Read 909 times)

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
Question British infantry in campaign dress FIW.
« on: October 07, 2020, 03:46:47 PM »
I've bought the British infantry in campaign dress from North Star in their Muskets and Tomahawks range. They are all painted in drab brown coats would there be other colours used in the field ?
There doesn't seem to be much info out there.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
Re: Question British infantry in campaign dress FIW.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 07:33:20 AM »
I knew info was sparse 😂

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 01:14:45 PM »
There definitely seems to be a lack of info out there on the web but I did find this where the author suggests that local winter coats or self made blanket coats would be used.
As the British Army tended to like uniformity and the grey overcoat came into use during the Napoleonic Wars I would suggest that greys and creams would be used along with the brown. The iconic (at least here in Canada) Hudson Bay blanket will test your skills in painting colour bands

https://cdnhistorybits.wordpress.com/2015/03/17/military-uniforms-seven-years-war/
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 01:51:13 PM »
There definitely seems to be a lack of info out there on the web but I did find this where the author suggests that local winter coats or self made blanket coats would be used.
As the British Army tended to like uniformity and the grey overcoat came into use during the Napoleonic Wars I would suggest that greys and creams would be used along with the brown. The iconic (at least here in Canada) Hudson Bay blanket will test your skills in painting colour bands

https://cdnhistorybits.wordpress.com/2015/03/17/military-uniforms-seven-years-war/
Thanks, I was actually thinking that some blanket coats might have been used. Most likely supply and demand came into effect in the harsh winter conditions.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 08:53:48 PM »
I haven't looked into the matter but I suspect these British regulars could also be used as American militia in mid-to-cold season clothing (North Star seem to have a pack of FIW.American militia in the pipeline as well but you can never have too much variety).   

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 04:06:28 AM »
As an 18th century British Regular reenactor, if like to add my tuppence worth on the matter (though I portray a little later in the century).

If you wanted these to look like they made their capote blanket coats out of their issued blankets, you would want to go with an cream coloured wool. Blankets carried by British regulars at the time were undyed wool, sometimes with a blue stripe through the middle, and a small 3in GR stamp in a corner. Period depictions of blanket-coats often show clever use of that blue stripe in the final garment, at the hem of the skirt and) or on the cuffs.
Of course locally sourced blankets would likely be Hudson Bay Company and have multiple-colored stripes.

I hope this is helpful!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 04:08:58 AM by TheWeasel »

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 04:15:05 AM »
This site use to have painting guides but I can't find them on here now.   
https://www.gallopingmajorwargames.co.uk/studio-3-w.asp
Mark