Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:46:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Requesting help in identifying some Napoleonic figures  (Read 954 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Requesting help in identifying some Napoleonic figures
« on: October 11, 2020, 09:17:18 AM »
So far my google skills have failed me and Napoleonic uniforms are such a broad topic, I was hoping someone with more experience could help me in identifying these figures.

All except for the one on the left were won unexpectedly in a larger auction. Of those the only one I have identified is the one on the right, a British Officer but I am unsure of his rank. Could he be used as a Captain? Of the others, the one I am most keen to identify is the mounted Officer.

The one on the left was a surprise gift, I have guessed that he is a hussar but I am unsure which country.

I hope to put these to use in a future Sharp Practice Napoleonic project. Any help appreciated.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Requesting help in identifying some Napoleonic figures
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 09:41:15 AM »
I've painted that fella on the right, but I don't remember the manufacturer! I've got him labelled as 'Barnes' in my photo file, but that's it. He could be Edward Barnes, who rose to Major General under Wellington in the Peninsular and was Adjutant General at Waterloo. The relaxed, unmounted pose presumably means he's chin-wagging behind the front line somewhere.

Found him, he's Foundry!

https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/british-napoleonic/products/b300
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 09:43:30 AM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 10:25:32 AM »
The infantry, I think, are Foundry Austrians. A couple of different Landwehr types and a grenadier.

Not sure about the hussar, but possibly Seven Years War. Prussian, perhaps.

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 11:54:28 AM »
Yes, the 2nd from the left is a Bohemian Landwehr man and the 3rd fella is a well-equipped Landwehr or Freikorps man.  The fourth one is an Austrian grenadier.  It's hard to make out the details on the mounted officer, but he's probably another Austrian.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 08:56:48 PM by Jemima Fawr »
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 12:07:30 PM »
Ah, fascinating!

Thanks for all the help.

I do not currently have any plans for Austrians. The British fellow I had hoped would make a decent nemesis for my planned French protagonist but I want a Captain not a General for that. I am thinking some sort of behind the scenes villain type who is always behind whatever local forces are opposing my protagonist, be it is Africa, India or the Americas. I was originally thinking a villainous version of Richard Sharpe but this fellow fell into my hands and I thought his nonchalant posture might do to express a counter-point to my protagonist‘s earnest demeanor.

I have been trying to learn all about the Napoleonic Era but so far mostly focusing on the French. I was a bit pleased with myself to finally understand some of the French uniform details rewatching Sharpe with my wife.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 12:14:55 PM by Rick W. »

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 08:54:16 PM »
2, 3, 4 & 5 are all Foundry Napoleonic Austrians as my esteemed fellow forumers pointed out. The mounted figure is an Austrian infantry officer in Oberrock now sold in the Landwher command pack :

The British officer leaning on his sword is indeed Barnes from the Foundry British high command set :

The hussar smoking his pipe on the left is a Seven Years War figure from Black Hussar, part of a vignette that no longer appears to be on the BH website (although he is definitely a Black Hussar figure as Sascha slipped one in my last order as a freebie).   

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 05:01:02 AM »
Thank you for the additional information. Now I just need to figure out what to do with these figures.

Of course it makes sense for Sascha to hand out Prussian Hussars in such a cool pose.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 05:04:22 AM by Rick W. »