Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 05:14:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: MGV Snapshot - Urban Wasteland Mat  (Read 1162 times)

Offline wtjcom

• Student
MGV Snapshot - Urban Wasteland Mat
« on: November 05, 2020, 11:47:38 AM »
After doing the Mars paint scheme, I painted up some Invisible Enemy miniatures for camouflage to match the Urban Wasteland battle mat. Here is a shot from the first game using that mat; a trio of Australian MGVs crossing the ruinous ummm… wasteland.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: MGV Snapshot - Urban Wasteland Mat
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 12:46:53 PM »
Nice mat. But where are the units?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 03:12:09 PM »
What would the Urban Wasteland mat represent in Eylau Sequence scale?  I like the concept of the stories and the models look great but I have a hard time trying to imagine the scale in 3d without some point of reference.

Offline wtjcom

• Student
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 09:22:17 PM »
Nice mat. But where are the units?

Hahaha... they are "perfectly" camouflaged. Not bad considering I'm slightly color-blind!

Offline wtjcom

• Student
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 09:49:32 PM »
What would the Urban Wasteland mat represent in Eylau Sequence scale?  I like the concept of the stories and the models look great but I have a hard time trying to imagine the scale in 3d without some point of reference.

Good question, the urban wasteland mat would be a field of fine angular gravel with other sandy areas, I'm still working to gather more terrain features for this mat - the possibilities are endless but I'm thinking lots of angular wreckage looking things. The game scale is x10, so ten times actual size. We have done battles with 60mm (just over 2") long models of dead ants lying around the battlefield, I'll check to see if I have any photos of that as they are particularly good size references.

If you want to see the more 3D features of some previous games, here are some battle report links:

http://www.eylau.com/gaming/invisible_enemy/aar_173/docu_aar_173.htm

http://www.eylau.com/gaming/invisible_enemy/aar_447/docu_aar_447.htm

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 11:35:38 PM »
We have done battles with 60mm (just over 2") long models of dead ants lying around the battlefield

Yes, that would show the size pretty well.  From the few pictures around the range looks very different now to the original release, are the ones originally listed as "Californian" going to be available again?

Offline wtjcom

• Student
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 01:02:41 AM »
...are the ones originally listed as "Californian" going to be available again?

When I moved over to the latest printing format, the taller Californian models came out rather tall and expensive. Since this is still a rather new line (comparatively speaking) I did not want to give prospective users sticker shock with any apparent high prices, so I held those taller, more expensive ones back. But they do look neat and if there is interest I'll definitely slate them for re-posting.

Offline wtjcom

• Student
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 11:29:54 PM »
Here is a game photo on the Realm of Death mat which had a dead insect in the shot. The mat is a dark black/blue scheme that we use as a sort of blasted/burned out surface. I used smokey quartz rock chunks as blasted fuel rod debris (or whatever) for major obstacles along with some of the usual Invisible Enemy terrain features like ice and blast residue. And of course; dead insects.

I found the insects at a floral supply store, made in the Philippines last I recall. They are made of wood and wire, gives a good sense of the board scale although once a game is going the players are more concerned with the usual tactical issues!

Offline wtjcom

• Student
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 11:41:26 PM »
This is an overhead closeup of a few of the MGVs on the Realm of Death mat. The left two Whiptails were painted with the mat in mind; I haven't done any wash or highlighting on them yet, still experimenting. Maybe a Citadel blue wash with a dry brush highlight? I want to be careful and keep the mottled blue camo on the black background and not make it too murky.

The Tiger MGV on the right is more of a general camo paint scheme without any particular board in mind. It was a silver base with light black wash and a "seaweed" camo pattern done with mixed blue/silver in progressive shades, partly wet blended. Then more black wash highlight.