Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:20:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689757
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Advanced Heroquest  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
Advanced Heroquest
« on: October 12, 2020, 11:13:48 AM »
About a month ago I wandered into a retro 80's toy shop in the stalls of Camden market. Amidst the piles of He Man and Thundercats toys I spotted an intact copy of Advanced Hero quest

. In a moment of weakness I haggled down the price a bit and bought it.  I have slowly been painting the heroes and the Skaven figures. Someone suggested that I share some photos so, I shall blame him

After doing the bases I realised that the clash with the warm browns of the room tiles, so I have been re doing the bases. The Scenario contained within the rules required all sorts of additional skaven figures and so  I have collected those.I have all of them bar a Jezzail team ( always slips past my fingers on ebay)  As and when I get round to it, I will add some photos.  I am tentaivly scheduling a game with my fried and his 12 year old who has expressed an interest in trying DnD. Its not quite DnD but the rules use of wandering monsters, treasure looting, and traps evokes a spirit of those early dnD modules.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Advanced Heroquest
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 12:30:14 PM »
Looks good! And what a find!

Oddly enough, at the weekend, I dug out my old copy of the AHQ rules to have a think about running it with the family. The rules and - I think - two of the rooms are all I have left of it apart from the miniatures, but on the other hand, I have painted miniatures for just about everything in the bestiary.

What I'm thinking about doing is recreating it with D&D dungeon tiles. From what I can see, the main problem will be that the D&D tiles tend to be in increments of four rather than five, but I think that's easily overcome. And I think there are fan-made printable floorplans and (I hope!) counters online.

From what I remember of it, the big attraction of AHQ is that it has genuine exploration (like D&D) rather than just strategy (like most dungeoncrawlers). We've been playing real D&D every day since lockdown began, so the game has a lot to live up to. But I reckon it's worth giving it a go: my dim and distant memory is that AHQ was a terrific game to play.

Keep the updates on this project coming!

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 01:24:15 PM »
Hobgoblin-

There's some odd quirks about the game, such as the fact that a 25mm round bases doe snot fit entirely within the squares of the dungeon tiles.   Here is a set of skaven that I have done, these have since been rebased and the bases painted to resemble the tile colour

At the moment I have just got the henchmen to paint, but as you don't need that many I've had them as low priority.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 03:20:54 PM »
I bring the game down from the loft every few years, avoid playing it for a couple of weeks, then put it back in the loft.

Your post has reminded me that it may be time to head up to the loft once more :)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 03:24:19 PM »
AHQ is my favorite dungeon crawler of all-time. The one minis game I wish I never sold off. We played through the Skaven campaign, the Shattered Amulet (iirc), and a few homecooked ones using the Terror in the Dark campaign build supplement. So much fun.

Everything about this game was perfect. The tile art, rolling characters, the rareness of treasure, the town living between adventures, salvaging each arrow... I love it all.  I'd love to land another copy one day.

Here's a fun review about the game's brutality: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1037089/dungeon-crawlers-shouldnt-be-realistic-review

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 04:39:48 PM »
White Dwarf published a few scenarios , I have the issues but am aware that they have been scanned and are available on the internet. There is even a revised set of rules written by experienced players which add some nuance to aspects of the rules. I have not read the player's edition so can't really comment on what they contain