Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:51:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Swordpoint; How to Play Videos by Medieval Warrior Parts I, II and III  (Read 4907 times)

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
Re: Swordpoint; How to Play Videos by Medieval Warrior Parts I, II and III
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2021, 01:41:14 PM »
That's shocking. It's how you kill a game before it gets anywhere - and the supplements aren't cheap either. That's given me serious pause about the rules.

I think the comment refers to the army lists/books, the swordpoint supplements haven't covered the Romans yet. I believe there are rules for artillery on the GB website as a free download not sure, if these are in SP2? However that wouldn't be a game breaker, I am dubious that much artillery was used on the battlefield compared to the tabletop?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2021, 02:22:13 PM »
I think the comment refers to the army lists/books, the swordpoint supplements haven't covered the Romans yet.

The supplements specific to certain wars thus far are:
Ghengis Khan
To the End of the Earth (Alexander and Successors)
Charlemagne

There are many more planned but Covid has slowed things down due to the inability to playtest.

I believe there are rules for artillery on the GB website as a free download not sure, if these are in SP2?

The rules are included in SP V.2

However that wouldn't be a game breaker, I am dubious that much artillery was used on the battlefield compared to the tabletop?

Yeah, probably not. Certainly not the larger Torsion Engines. There was a demand for said rules vis a vis they were included more for fun. There is of course gunpowder cannon, handgun and arquebus rules for the Medieval supplement. I think the HYW supplement is next followed by the Rise of Rome.

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2021, 07:18:39 PM »
out of interest has anyone tried these rules for the classical period; in particular the wars of the Greek city states and the hellenistic era?

I've heard some comments that Swordpoint rules can drag on and can be a pretty turgid affair with skirmishers being less effective than could be expected.  I was also wondering about the base sized , is the ration of 40x40 infantry and 50x50 cavalry locked into the game or can the game support other basing systems - I have lots of hoplites and phalangists however, many of them are on 60x20 bases and the thought of re basing is enough to drive a man insane.   I am aware of the old adage that as long as both armies are based the same than it should not matter, but that belief is frequently not a sound one as increasing unit sizes for examples will increase a unit's footprint on the table and unless a table is scaled up to match , the amount of free space for manoeuvring declines. This means that armies which rely on manoeuvre become less effective.

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2021, 07:30:43 PM »
out of interest has anyone tried these rules for the classical period; in particular the wars of the Greek city states and the hellenistic era?

I've heard some comments that Swordpoint rules can drag on and can be a pretty turgid affair with skirmishers being less effective than could be expected.  I was also wondering about the base sized , is the ration of 40x40 infantry and 50x50 cavalry locked into the game or can the game support other basing systems - I have lots of hoplites and phalangists however, many of them are on 60x20 bases and the thought of re basing is enough to drive a man insane.   I am aware of the old adage that as long as both armies are based the same than it should not matter, but that belief is frequently not a sound one as increasing unit sizes for examples will increase a unit's footprint on the table and unless a table is scaled up to match , the amount of free space for manoeuvring declines. This means that armies which rely on manoeuvre become less effective.

You have to remember that in SP loses are by base which suffers an amount of hits before it is removed depending on the troop type. Excess loses are discarded which tends to slow down base losses I have played a couple of EIR games v barbarians. I found that skirmishers are less effective against armoured troops, unless you can somehow mass your shooting. Combat is difficult to judge as there are aspects like whether you are maintaining the line, flanking, discouraged momentum etc, I found that units tend to hold a few turns longer than WAB.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2022, 12:02:54 PM »
I just wanted to add to this thread, Nic has been doing pocket a series of size breakdowns of the rules with more to come:

SWORDPOINT Rules Pocket Explanations #1 (Hand to Hand Combat)

SWORPOINT Rules Pocket Explanations #2 (Line of Battle)

SWORDPOINT Rules Pocket Explanations #3 (COMMAND FIGURES)

SWORDPOINT Rules Pocket Explanations #4 (STAGGERED Hand to hand combat)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2022, 12:10:44 PM »
This is very helpful thank been wanting to try these rules - good too to see Essex miniatures getting into the action.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2022, 01:14:59 PM »
This is very helpful thank been wanting to try these rules - good too to see Essex miniatures getting into the action.

Glad to be of assistance. Hopefully you will manage to get a game in before me- I've been waiting nigh on two years! (SARS CoV 2 etc)

Nic is planning on doing a whole series of videos. If you got to his Medieval Warrior - Wargaming page on YouTube you can subscribe and get notifications of stuff as he posts.

If not, I'mm probably post them up on this thread anyway :)

Nic's YouTube, Medieval Warrior - Wargaming page:
https://www.youtube.com/c/MedievalWarrior