Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:26:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689768
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Stargrave announcement.  (Read 33714 times)

Offline MikeRC97

• Bookworm
Re: Stargrave announcement.
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2020, 01:47:23 PM »
With reference to the artwork.

Though the gun bears some resemblance to a bullpup Lasgun (TM),  it looks like a Traveller style Gauss Gun (magnetically accelerated and spin stabilised kinetic energy weapons) or a gyrojet.

My reasoning is as follows:
Magazine placement - the bullpup location adjacent to the telescopic stock means not much room for the recoil of the receiver. Gauss weapons' receivers do not recoil (Newton's Third Law still applies to the weapon) and gyrojets "recoil" forward (you cock them by moving the receiver forward, pulling the trigger releases the receiver which pushes the round back on to the firing pin. The round moves forward pushing the receiver back into firing position, and popping the next round into position. I cannot remember why the exhaust of the firing round does not cook off the next round or the whole mag).
The shape of the magazine is odd, but that might be down to receiver design.

Laser weapons are not dependent on magazine to "receiver" placement, and there is a lot of fun forward of the pistol grip so is there a balance advantage with a bullpup arrangement?

Same with non round based plans/fusion weapons.

Maybe I should go and do some painting....
^__^

When it comes to guns for Stargrave, I'm going to use the same approach that George Lucas took in 1977, just take some WWII guns, add some cosmetic attachments and don't worry too much about the science behind how they shoot "laser beams,"  later nerds like us came up with the idea of gas powered "blaster" technology (https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Blaster/Legends).

I've got StG44 and MG42 bits from my plastic Bolt Action sprues that will make a great starting point for Stargrave guns.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2020, 02:58:45 PM »
I just bought a copy of the classic Necromunda boxed game so am defo looking forward to seeing what Stargrave might be able to add to the mix.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2020, 05:28:32 PM »
I've got StG44 and MG42 bits from my plastic Bolt Action sprues that will make a great starting point for Stargrave guns.
I ordered Anvil MG42s especially for my light support weapons

Especially the armoured minions...

I have hoped that Anvil would do Lewis and Sterling guns.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 05:32:32 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2020, 05:58:01 PM »
Doh, caved-in and pre-ordered lol
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2020, 09:17:01 PM »
As I find myself veering away from the Frostgrave-style-rulesets, I will be watching this exclusively for the miniatures. So far Northstar has always delivered fantastic stuff! Hard plastic SciFi miniatures have been "quasi-monopolized" for way too long! And hopefully we will get some metal minis as well, but the way Northstar so far supports their games make me think we will. Quite the powerhouse Northstar has become!

I am really hoping for lots of human Military SciFi in the sets as the artworks allows for the possibility that these minis might be suitable for a little The Expanse project. It always baffled me that so far no company has tried to turn this rich and popular setting into a miniatures game (wargame, RPG, Boardgames, Kickstarter frenzy, whatever)!

The best miniatures suited for The Expanse so far could be found from Hasslefree and it would be cool to have more options to show into the mix. Maybe even some other, more talented, lads and ladies on this forum might also be inspired to paint some Martian Marines!  8)
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2020, 04:44:40 AM »
The Expanse is indeed an excellent setting. There is an Expanse RPG but I have not played it.

https://expanse.fandom.com/wiki/The_Expanse_Roleplaying_Game

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1780208966/the-expanse-roleplaying-game?lang=de

I have tried painting Mantic GCPS troops as Martian Marines but was not satisfied with my attempts.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2020, 03:54:41 PM »
Somewhere here I read that a number of official The Expanse 3D model files were released for non commercial use, not sure if that included anything but ships.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2020, 05:40:02 PM »
Thank you for pointing me towards the RPG. I had indeed forgot that one. There seems to be another board game as well, but so far not a "real" miniatures game, sadly. Maybe I can find some good models to use in this announced figure range  8)

Offline Maspalio

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2020, 09:51:11 AM »
The best miniatures suited for The Expanse so far could be found from Hasslefree  8)

The sedition wars minis would fit perfectly too :)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2020, 10:26:31 AM »
My main issue with figures for The Expanse would be trying to paint the tattoos o_o

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2020, 01:55:42 PM »
that all sounds very interesting . You can never have to many Scifi figures
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2020, 02:36:44 PM »
My main issue with figures for The Expanse would be trying to paint the tattoos o_o

There are no tattoos on Martian Marines!  lol

But yeah, when painting OPA you would have to freehand a lot but at the same time it would make the miniatures instantly recognizable.

Man, now I want to order some stuff at Hasslefree and start such a project...

...focus, gotta focus! Too much to paint already!

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2020, 04:03:06 PM »
Don’t Hasslefree do some tattoo decals? If not, surely someone does...

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2020, 04:14:26 PM »
Don’t Hasslefree do some tattoo decals? If not, surely someone does...

They used to, they still have some of them, but sadly the last time that I checked, the better ones are out of stock and have been for some time.

Glen

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2020, 04:39:12 PM »
Just getting into the old Necromunda with the new miniatures. I dont want another rules, but the game designers name is very tempting...