Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:41:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Seeking Rules for SYW  (Read 4110 times)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Re: Seeking Rules for SYW
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 07:07:30 PM »
I'd like to shout out for 'King of the Battlefield', by Ian Godwin. Red v Blue, "Commanding 15 to 20 units each, in 4 or 6 player games, and never fail to finish a game in 2-3 hours. Simple mechanics, but tactically challenging, they give a great game" which was available through Miniature Wargames Magazine though I'm not sure now.
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 09:05:06 AM »
True Dat.
Currently out of print and a bit hard to find though; I got a spare copy at claymore last year from a seller who had a small bundle that Ian Godwin had found in his garage but apart from that it would need to be eBay I reckon. If you see them buy them though, they do exactly what they're supposed to.
Rumour last year was that a 2nd edition was in the works along with a Napoleonic version, but who knows.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 12:27:57 PM »
Ian did mention some time ago that he wanted to expand into Napoleonic...

Offline Lascaris

• Student
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 04:25:02 PM »
I'm a big fan of Might and Reason for large scale battles. A "unit" of 2 bases, I use 28mm and put 6 figures on a base, is a brigade of roughly 4 battalions. A cavalry "unit" uses the same 2 bases and is roughly 10 squadrons. I think it plays very well for large battles and has enough flavor that it feels like the 7YW and not a generic horse & musket set. The Prussians may seem a bit overpowered, or more than a bit, but in general they are badly outnumbered so it plays out to pretty realistic, i.e. historical, results.

Offline williamb

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 06:44:56 PM »
Our club used Rank and File with some modifications for the Battle of Blenheim 1704.   We have also used the rules without modification for smaller engagements.   Pictures and an AAR for Blenheim can be found at https://18clovehamhock.blogspot.com/2019/08/blenheim-1704-at-miniature-wargaming.html

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2020, 06:46:14 PM »
"Wanker"?
Command rating?

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2020, 11:35:34 PM »
That's unfortunately what happens when officers refer to the common soldiery of the wank-and-file...

Of course the classic boardgame 'Sniper!' included an example of play worded thus "An erect man exposes himself in an upstairs window..."  :o
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2020, 11:10:15 AM »
I own a copy of Die Kriegskunst, which I believe may be unique among wargame rules - of any period - in its use of the word 'wanker'. (The fact that it I have not played a game with the rules is not related to this).

The Maurice card set can be bought direct from the publisher:

https://sammustafa.com/product/the-complete-maurice-card-set/
You can also download and print the Maurice action deck for free from Sam Mustafa's web site.
You don't get the 'notables' (commanders) but you don't need those for a game.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2020, 12:53:31 PM »
The two groups I game with in Montreal and Ottawa use Age of Reason by Tod Kershner & Dale Woods, works well with 4 players and we have gamed with 12 players.
I ran a lot of AoR games at Historicon and all games were completed in the required 4 hour time slot.
Units are 12 to 16 figures for infantry, 6 to 8 for cavalry but there is an option to double the size of units if you like big units.
They are on their 3rd edition but we still use 1st/2nd edition - 2nd edition added an index and some minor text corrections.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline mictator

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2020, 05:43:06 PM »
Thanks for the advices and Input.

I buy from Pendraken the 7YW Wars Range. I like for this scale crowded bases, Pendraken has many poses.

Want to play really big battles.

I know, no fire phase and only moral tests, but it is not sexy enough for me.

Want a Rule System with Fire Phase and what is available, wargame vault etc

Has anyone Pendraken Miniatures left?

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2020, 08:16:13 PM »
Pendrakens SYW ranges are brilliant, you can't go wrong there

Offline WFGamers

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2020, 02:15:28 AM »
Take a look at the Strehla refight video here for an idea of the Twilight system - https://www.wyrehistoricbooks.co.uk/video

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2020, 02:31:28 AM »
Pendraken SYW armies are some of their best, and the scale is excellent for SYW.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2020, 05:53:47 PM »
"Wanker"?
Command rating?

My comment appears to have been deleted, presumably because of my use of an offensive word. Oddly, however, responses quoting it remain unaffected. I assure you it appears in the rule book, though not as a command rating, fair as it might have been in some cases.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 06:24:02 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2020, 06:55:25 PM »
Hi Andrew.

I’m perplexed by your last comment  ???
There are no limitations on rude words on LAF. You can use the word wanker as much as you please :)

I received a moderator report from you, saying please delete the post in question, as it’s continued presence bothers you - the post concerned was already showing only the single word ‘deleted’ - as edited by yourself.
So, per your request, I removed it.
Has something else been deleted, that you didn’t want to be deleted?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 06:57:47 PM by Captain Blood »