Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:16:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686436
  • Total Topics: 118099
  • Online Today: 689
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Waterproof´s Adventure in Africa  (Read 1711 times)

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
  • would like to paint more
Waterproof´s Adventure in Africa
« on: October 21, 2020, 08:54:02 AM »
I am considering a skirmish for the Cape Frontier Wars and Orange River Range. The number of miniatures should not be too large. I was already recommended Sharp Practise 2.
I had thought about Musket and Tomahawk, but was told that the setting cannot be transferred to 19th century Africa.
Are there any recommendations here ?
Thank´s in advance.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 09:26:19 AM by waterproof »

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
Re: Skirmish Rules
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 09:42:39 AM »
We’ve used The Men Who Would Be Kings by Dan Mersey published by Osprey for under £10. It also has an excellent solo variant in the book , very useful in these days when finding an opponent can be problematic.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 10:04:53 AM »
I'd also say TMWWBK would suit you fine it provides a good game. 

On the other hand I cannot see why you couldn't adapt and use Muskets and Tomahawks for the Cape Wars.  Lots of the fighting took place in very close terrain and the troop types seem eminently adaptable to me.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 10:08:51 AM »
Potentially some of hte Chris Peers Darkest Africa rules-sets might work? (names currently escape me)
One issue may be the assumption that White troops will be armed with breach loaders, but a lot of systems seem to have conversion factors to alter weapons?
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 01:40:54 PM »
Thanks guys, I have already asked the community for the book the man who would be king and I will get it.
Especially the point with the solo games I like because it is always difficult to find a suitable player for everything. 
I did not have the book on the screen.

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 04:31:21 PM »
I’ve used both TMWWBK and Sharp Practice for the Cape Wars - both give great (but very different) games for the period.

Don’t see why M&T shouldn’t be easily adapted - it’s a very flexible rule system.

Whichever rules you have, Mike Snook’s books on the Frontier Wars (available from Perry’s) are essential reading.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 05:45:37 PM »
I´m going to use "Musket and Tomahawk II". In fact, they have pictures of the Anglo-Zulu and Indian Mutiny wars in their rulebook so I´m sure they are going to produce supplements for those conflicts.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 02:32:02 AM »
I had thought about Musket and Tomahawk, but was told that the setting cannot be transferred to 19th century Africa.

I remember threads here a few years ago by someone adapting Muskets & Tomahawks to Darkest Africa using the name Rifles & Spears. Might do a search for those threads, but neither word is particularly distinctive in this part of the forum.

Edit: Looked it up and the threads were by user Happy Wanderer in the summer of 2016. One was an AAR of a scenario set in the Abushiri Revolt of 1889 in German East Africa.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 02:39:41 AM by warrenpeace »
Sailors have more fun!

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 08:48:42 AM »
An interesting question. I am looking for a set of rules for Maori Wars. I was seduced by the superb Empress Miniatures figures without having a plan involving a set of rules. It sounds like I need to finally buy “The Men Who Would be Kings”.

I would also mention “Smooth and Rifled” by Dadi and Piombo the publishers of the “Impetus” rules. These are ostensibly a set of 19th century skirmish rules. I haven’t used them but know some members of my local club have used them.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 08:57:20 AM »
This seems a good time and place to mention Frontiers by Noel Monstert a complete history of all of the Cape Wars.  A very enjoyable and informative book for anyone interested in the topic.

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 09:38:10 AM »
Thanks for the good ideas and hints.  :)
"The Man Who Would be Kings" is ordered and on its way.
At "Musket and Tomahawk II" I'm still waiting, this should even appear in translated version (German in my case). It will definitely be bought as well.
Now I will paint first.
@SJWi, that's the crazy thing about Empress Miniatures, they are always releasing new minis you want to have and then you are looking for rules to play with  ;)

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 06:24:03 PM »
Here is one of the past Colonial forum threads by Happy Wanderer that I was referring to about his "Rifles & Spears" adaptation of "Muskets & Tomahawks."

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=91742.msg1133095#msg1133095

Happy Wanderer is still active on LAF, so perhaps we could ask him about this.

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
Re: Waterproof´s Adventure in Africa
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 09:30:13 AM »
Here my first trys of painting Brits and Xhosa´s.
More on the table.

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
Re: Waterproof´s Adventure in Africa
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 02:27:17 AM »
I am a strong advocate for TMWWBK.  There is a group of us that are using a modified version of it in the thirties for a Campaign.  Check out the "Interwar" forum under the 1933 New Sacramento campaign."

I really like the rules in this era as it balances the three basic troop types well, the regulars, the irregular and the tribal.  The rules also have a simple method of loss of command and control that adds a degree of tension. 

The leader variability can also make a big difference.  We have used assigned leadership characteristics on occasion to simulate historical figures.   
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----