Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:29:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painted pics of new Lead Bones Zombies and stuff.  (Read 4065 times)

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
Painted pics of new Lead Bones Zombies and stuff.
« on: August 18, 2009, 03:45:36 AM »
You may or may not know we've added some new packs to our range. (and I just added singles for the new releases last night) I've also started a gallery for painted examples of the miniatures we sell. They're all mine so far, but if anyone here has some finished send it in and I'll fix it up for our gallery.

Us: http://www.recreationalconflict.com
Gallery: http://recreationalconflict.lusagi.com/gallerylb.html

Sprupack03 Bio-Containment Team

Were01 Werewolves

Zombpack03 Hospital Patient Zombies

Zombpack04 Hospital Staff Zombies

Not sure what exactly will be our next figure release. We've got several vehicles in the hopper as they're much cheaper for us than a figure pack.  I've got plans for some pilots for the moderns line and maybe some Appleseed/X-com style power armor. We need more money though. :)

I haven't gotten a chance to varnish any of these new ones yet due to the horrible humidity this time of year. But I plan to go back after and use some brush on gloss varnish for the bloody spots. Next for me is a couple of display models for Toben's Z-Raider and I'm going to paint up a couple of sample elves from the Mantic booth at Gen-Con.

Enjoy.
Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
Re: Painted pics of new Lead Bones Zombies and stuff.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 04:21:22 AM »
Now those are my kinda zombies! 

Brian
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 08:44:16 AM »

The Bio-Containment guys look better painted up then I thought they would from the original picture on your site, cool!

I like the paint job on the zombies too.  I know that its weird but I tend to hold back a bit on the blood when I paint zombies, yet when I see it on other peoples figures (like yours) I always regret it.  Note to self: more blood in future then.  How did you get that sticky, scabby bloodstain effect?

The were in the shorts and the Brain Dead/Dead Alive nurse zombie are fun :)

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 09:37:36 AM »
Thanks for the comments.

@cheetor:
It does seem that the scans don't always do the figures justice. That's part of the reason we're starting up the gallery.

The blood effect is simply an area of brown ink (dried blood) with a smaller area of chestnut ink (wet blood) in it's borders, and occasionally some dark brown paint as a top layer where the blood would be thick and or dry. I only used the dark brown paint on the forearms of the one girl in the background of the patients pic and the head chopped nurse.

I usually start with the chestnut doing splatters and defining the thickest/wettest part (usually around the wound) and then watering the brown ink down a bit before going over the chestnut and defining the outer area of the stain. To keep it from always forming a hard line I combine rubbing and soaking up the ink with a brush or my finger before it dries and additional real light washes of both inks.

I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I'm using the old old Citadel Inks. I still have plenty of those two colors, so I can't say how much other ink brands would affect the colors. Though I think most other chestnut and brown inks don't have quite as much red in them as the Citadel ones do. It might be just me, but I find that neither regular paint or that Tamiya clear red stuff is quite as useful in getting a good effect.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:44:18 AM by wolfgangbrooks »

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 10:04:53 AM »

Thanks for the quick and detailed response :)

I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I'm using the old old Citadel Inks.

I too tend to use the old Citadel Chestnut ink pretty regularly.  I am a fan of the new GW "washes" but they dont replace the old inks entirely IMO.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 10:29:38 PM »
Like the hospital zeds - your best yet IMHO - not such a fan of the biocontainment guys, look a little skinny for noddy suits, and the facemasks seem a little small, but the weaponry is quite tasty!

Overall some welcome additions.

:)

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 02:43:58 AM »
I just happen to be cleaning the two hospital zed sets right now! :D  Do you have any plans for another zombie set?  The zombies are my favorite Lead Bones releases... though I also want to pick up a couple of the giant crabs too!

Does anyone know where I can still find the brown and chestnut GW inks?  I have a couple bottles each of the new inks but would like to get a bottle or two of these colors to try this blood effect.

Darkoath

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 04:28:37 AM »
@Darkoath: We'd love to do lots more zombies. I've got a list of stuff I could do. However, like I said, we kinda need more money. Restocking from Historicon has and will continue to kill our budget. And I think our first two sets (sprupack 1 and zombpack 1) have only JUST made their money back.

It's unfortunate there aren't more shows we could make money back at, because the lines we carry tend to come out with a lot of stuff between conventions. And our internet sales suck. :)

PS: I guess I should say, metal figure packs will be slow in coming out. However we can commission vehicles and similar sized stuff for less than half of what a metal set would be. So that's what we're concentrating on at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 07:20:38 AM by wolfgangbrooks »

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 12:33:41 AM »
For those who are interested in my blood technique: I think my memory failed me for a bit. I have used the technique I mentioned before, however looking at the models again today I think all I did was use layers of varying thinness using the Citadel Chestnut. Though again with the darkest parts being a real dark brown paint.

The recent GW Flesh Wash (hex sided bottle, haven't seen any newer ones) seems pretty close, but it needs to be darkened up a bit with perhaps a little red added to taste.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 01:45:47 AM »
Does anyone know where I can still find the brown and chestnut GW inks?

There's still some in the hobby shop where I live. Could send you a few if you'd like.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 12:10:05 PM »
Does anyone know where I can still find the brown and chestnut GW inks?  I have a couple bottles each of the new inks but would like to get a bottle or two of these colors to try this blood effect.

Coat D'armes are the same as the old Citadel paints.
http://www.blackhat.co.uk/online_shop/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=eaece27b1f171cae89668c77408ecef2