Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:31:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Osprey Game - Flashpoint: Platoon Skirmishes in World War III  (Read 18283 times)

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
  • Old school gamer since 1990!
    • Oldhammer 40k
Re: New Osprey Game - Flashpoint: Platoon Skirmishes in World War III
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2021, 07:06:04 AM »
Cheers mate! I can’t wait to see it finally in print!!
Check out my blog for all things 30k, 40k, Oldhammer and tutorials:
http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2021, 08:32:24 AM »
Cool
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2021, 07:01:35 PM »
I'm looking forward to it, too!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Just a few orcs

• Assistant
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2021, 11:33:00 PM »
I'm afraid I can only echo the comment about the variable quality of the Osprey rules. "Dux Bellorum" has good ratings but were based on  an earlier ruleset. I have also heard good things about "The Men Who Would be Kings", and indeed plan to buy them myself for my Maori Wars project.  The "Rampant series and "Pikemen's Lament" also see good useage, albeit I must say "Lion Rampant" left me cold with no period flavour. Most of the others seem to have sunk without trace.       

"The men Who Would Be Kings" are not a bad set. Just don't play the scenarios at the back. We played a campaign at club  using these and the defender won 90% of the time, regardless of who was playing the defender.

Although he states you can use half size units, this has a significant effect on the game mechanism and play, as units of 3 figures cannot hit anything at long range in cover.  Making half size units ineffective after 3 hits instead of 9 hits.

In Scenario D The set up instructions state:- "the attacker places all non tribal units and units without fiedcraft freely on the table , no closer than firing range from any table edge". As I had a regular British Force with modern rifles I ended up with all 4 (half size) units is  a single figure line down the centre of a 6 x 4 table. If we had full size units or a smaller table I could in theory not have deployed.

Offline evil_steve

• Assistant
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2022, 03:07:49 PM »
What are the unit sizes for this game? Are any markers used? Want to start working on this project in advance of its release.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2022, 07:28:29 PM »
I had missed this one, but it looks like the release has been pushed back to August 2022 (according to Amazon anyway, so it must be true ;D).

Still that will give me plenty of time to plan and never actually get around to doing anything o_o

I'd be interested in unit sizes as well, as platoon tends to make me lean towards 20mm, rather than 28mm..

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2022, 08:13:17 AM »
Yes; this.

I've put these questions out before (not in this thread) but never got satisfactory answers.

I'd like to know what scale is recommended for these rules and what the model count will be. Ideally, it'd be somewhere between squad and platoon, in 28mm (for me at least... ::) ).
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2022, 09:11:19 AM »
From what I recall when I read a draft last summer they are squad level plus a few vehicles. Can’t recall if you could use multiple squads per side, but as a major part of the game is about building your group and it’s skills I suspect it was single squad. I think the rules are pretty scale agnostic. The ranges etc may have been aimed at a particular scale but could be easily adapted.

The whole genre reminded me of the old “Twilight 2000” role-playing game albeit without the detail.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2022, 10:26:42 AM »
Cheers SJWi :)

The whole genre reminded me of the old “Twilight 2000” role-playing game albeit without the detail.

Yes, I read that before, and that's exactly what's drawing me in...

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2022, 09:04:40 PM »
Hi All;

I am the author of this book and I just wanted to say I am pleased to have finally submitted the final draft to Osprey this morning.

Apologies for sporadic comms... those of you who read my author profile on the back of Outremer: Faith and Blood will probably guess that due to the nature of my 'full time' jobs I am not always around!!

Kudos to you! 

I know the feeling. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline evil_steve

• Assistant
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2022, 11:58:46 PM »
Can anyone who was in the play testing advise as to Unit sizes,  markers,  or any other items we'd need for this? I'm rearing to make forces for a polish campaign.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2022, 04:47:18 AM »
Evil Steve, I've just checked the play-test version I was sent and would say the following......recognising this was the state of play last July.  The author says this is section-platoon level plus a couple of vehicles . Recommends 15 or 20mm figures based on 15 or 20mm round bases. No special  markers seem to be needed. but each unit will need a "Unit Management Sheet" which I assume will be in the book. The author mentions a download from the Osprey website but from previous experience Osprey don't seem to offer this facility with their soft back rules. He talks about a starting force of 750 points but the points system was the least developed part of the rules. I could deduce that this is for a fairly "rookie" platoon but could be wrong. The rules are pretty basis and a big part of the game system if the campaign element, gaining experience etc etc. Thus I presume you will be able to have "even"  games  between large inexperienced forces and smaller veteran forces.

Does this help?     

Offline evil_steve

• Assistant
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2022, 10:35:02 AM »
It does. Thanks very much!

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
  • Old school gamer since 1990!
    • Oldhammer 40k
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2022, 09:36:03 PM »
Hi guys. I’m the author.

So unit sizes are essentially a few squads and potentially a light vehicle for most games… but I have played with bigger and it has worked fine. Realistically you will be looking at a platoon HQ and three to five rifle sections/squads, and also some heavy weapons teams.

The game’s release has been pushed back due to the ongoing situation currently taking place in the real world. This seemed appropriate given the nature of the setting.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2022, 08:09:17 AM »
Many thanks for that clarification.

And those numbers are the sweet spot for me, so I'll be waiting (im)patiently for the eventual release  :)