Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:12:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689240
  • Total Topics: 118265
  • Online Today: 526
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Osprey Game - Flashpoint: Platoon Skirmishes in World War III  (Read 18489 times)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Re: New Osprey Game - Flashpoint: Platoon Skirmishes in World War III
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2022, 08:41:29 AM »
I’m going to give the Empress BOHICA a go as I’ve seen them used for moderns before now
+1, it is a good development of their On-Page-Rules called Danger Close (I forgot the original name before Empress got them). D20 and easy to handle.
In the moment "flashpoint" is not interesting, becaause it is still not avaible. And no information about the delay. This is not really nice...
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2022, 04:57:27 PM »
As an Osprey author myself, I will say due dates change based on so many different things.  Just know that the lead time on any given book is about 2 years.... at least.  In that time, a lot of things can happen that moves the final publication dates around.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2022, 07:58:29 AM »
As an Osprey author myself, I will say due dates change based on so many different things.  Just know that the lead time on any given book is about 2 years.... at least.  In that time, a lot of things can happen that moves the final publication dates around.
You are right, that a lot can change and happen. But it is not forbidden to talk with the customers. This is really missing. No one got information and this is very bad (and unfair for the customers).

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2022, 04:28:30 PM »
Well,

they talk... as I previously said I sent an-email to them and got an answer. Jamie had decided in agreement with the series editors to postpone publication. They have no firm date do tell me. But the book is still on their list.

Said that a lot of issues came not so much from osprey but from Amazon that, Frankly, had an unrealistic release date considering playtest started in fall 2021. It isnot the first time they (amazon)  messed up publication dates by years.

Best,
Arrigo
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
  • Old school gamer since 1990!
    • Oldhammer 40k
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2022, 10:09:02 AM »
Hi everyone.

It is the author here; sorry for the delayed response; my full time jobs have been very busy. Just to give you an update; I have been in contact with the publisher and the decision is still in place to push back the release date for now. The current date shown (2027 I believe) is only a placeholder date, but it will be out long before then.

I know this is an emotive issue, but as a soldier myself I am in total agreement with the publisher that it is not entirely appropriate to release a game whose setting and context is very similar to a situation in which people are currently dying in the real world. This is less about offending people and more about showing respect for what is a terrible real world event.

I am really keen to get the game published and out there as soon as it is appropriate and respectful to do so. I have spent a long time (2 years) working on this; so as you can imagine I share your feelings about the delay.

I hope you can understand and empathise with the position we have taken.
Check out my blog for all things 30k, 40k, Oldhammer and tutorials:
http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk

Offline gimzod

• Scientist
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2022, 08:28:04 PM »
Thanks for the update.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2022, 02:23:56 PM »
Thanks for the update.

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2022, 04:34:39 PM »
+1, it is a good development of their On-Page-Rules called Danger Close (I forgot the original name before Empress got them). D20 and easy to handle.
In the moment "flashpoint" is not interesting, becaause it is still not avaible. And no information about the delay. This is not really nice...

It was previously called 'Some Corner of a Forgotten Field'

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2022, 05:06:09 PM »
I know this is an emotive issue, but as a soldier myself I am in total agreement with the publisher that it is not entirely appropriate to release a game whose setting and context is very similar to a situation in which people are currently dying in the real world. This is less about offending people and more about showing respect for what is a terrible real world event.
I think that is a reasonable attitude.
Said that a lot of issues came not so much from osprey but from Amazon that, Frankly, had an unrealistic release date considering playtest started in fall 2021. It isnot the first time they (amazon)  messed up publication dates by years.
Or messed up the fact the product was not going to be available from Amazon (or anyone other than direct from the publisher) at all.
Amazon scrape ISBN data, and if you apply for an ISBN number, Amazon (other booksellers are also guilty) will add it to their lists.

I am sure someone on this forum (or more likely his former business partner) had great difficulties trying to get a rule book removed from Amazon lists because they would not be selling it through them and there was concern that this unavailability would reflect on the product (especially if Amazon was taking money for the product).

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2022, 08:07:07 PM »
It was previously called 'Some Corner of a Forgotten Field'
Thank you

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2023, 11:40:39 AM »
Still interested in the setting/game, even though it's on a (possible?) indefinite hiatus.

However; I just came across a presentation for a Mars Figures 1/72 set called 'Ukrainian Defenders'. And with Mars Figures in fact being a Ukranian company themselves, I'm just wondering how relevant the current hiatus actually is.

Not to be insensitive, but we've seen many games depicting certain conflicts that were still ongoing when they were released. Think Spectre Ops, Skirmish Sangin or Force on Force for instance. And Flashpoint is not even directly depicting a current conflict, but rather a hypothetical one, with both of the belligerents in the current conflict even fighting on one side (were Ukranian forces actually taken into account in any Red Block offensive plans? I honestly don't know).

Anyway, what I was trying to say here is; has there been any news on the game and a possible release date yet?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2023, 10:03:39 AM »
Indeed, the purported rationale sounds like utter bollox to me. You can legitimately pose questions about the appropriateness of games set in actual ongoing conflicts but I doubt their potential market is going to conflate what is going on in Ukraine today with a game set in the late 20th C about a fictional conflict.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2023, 10:31:04 AM »
has there been any news on the game and a possible release date yet?

This.

Still interested in seeing these rules

:)