Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:47:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Osprey Game - Flashpoint: Platoon Skirmishes in World War III  (Read 18278 times)

Offline Ursus Maior

• Student
  • Historian with a few to many
Re: New Osprey Game - Flashpoint: Platoon Skirmishes in World War III
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2022, 10:02:27 PM »
Might have to take a look at that, if only because the cover art deals with a current project.
Indeed, it does. My "regular" gaming group and I were looking for exactly this setting and exactly this size to go along with our Twilight: 2000 RPG campaign.  :)
liber & infractus

Offline Corrosion

• Student
  • Game developer
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2022, 01:03:22 AM »
Is there any news on when this is releasing or is osprey still playing it safe to avoid upsetting certain people with the current events... even though ww3 has had many games and movies and books and other things made about it before... (Wish I could talk to whoever decided that) really hoping they come to their senses and just release it at some point soon. This looks like it will be one of the best games in the series yet.

I have been eagerly awaiting this book for a long time and I have been checking Amazon's store page for it pretty much daily to see if they put the original release date back which is tomorrow, August 16th. But it still says it's not being released until 2027 lol.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 01:07:15 AM by Corrosion »
-Corrosion

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2022, 04:15:55 AM »
It isn't in their published release schedule that currently runs to the end of November. I guess that makes it 2023 at the earliest.

Offline Corrosion

• Student
  • Game developer
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2022, 01:00:43 PM »
Wow, that's a shame. I have so many of their books that it's not even funny but this will likely be the last one I purchase from them whenever it finally comes out. I really don't support the idea that they're just waiting because of present events. They have nothing to do with the book/game. It may relate in content, but not intention. Other games/movies/books/etc are continuing as normal because that's all they can do.

I just got my hands on a copy of the new version of spectre operations for the meantime. Highly recommended. Absolutely great set of rules with a lot to offer. Book is beautiful, too. You can pretty much use the rules for any conflict from the 60's until modern day and even futuristic if that's your thing. You could probably even spin the rules for ww2 stuff as well but other rulesets are more appropriate for that like chain of command, crossfire, and bolt action.

Either way, I still cannot wait for flashpoint! Very excited for when it finally comes out.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 01:10:45 PM by Corrosion »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2022, 04:17:23 PM »
Specter is currently working on a WW2 mod for their rules. Posted up about it on their FB page and on the Perry Brothers page as well.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Corrosion

• Student
  • Game developer
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2022, 03:42:47 AM »
That sounds interesting. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2022, 10:45:45 AM »
I do not think that is being hold because current events, just because they have a long production queue. And Amazon tends to list unconfirmed release dates.

As an example, several years ago amazon.uk was listing World of Battleship from Seaforth/USNI as releasing in a couple of weeks. There was just a problem... I just got contacted by the editor to write a chapter for it... it was 2015 or 2016, and the book was released in 2018.  :o

So do not unnecessarily  blame Osprey.  :)

Best,
Arrigo
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2022, 12:49:54 PM »
@Arrigo

i totally +1 that, what Amazon says and what the publisher actually does, hasn't always been similar.

How does everyone find the Warlord Games Bolt Action WW1 that came out 7 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Warlord-Games/dp/147280953X

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9781472809537/Bolt-Action-World-Wargames-Rules-147280953X/plp

Offline Corrosion

• Student
  • Game developer
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2022, 01:00:47 PM »
Hi guys. I’m the author.

So unit sizes are essentially a few squads and potentially a light vehicle for most games… but I have played with bigger and it has worked fine. Realistically you will be looking at a platoon HQ and three to five rifle sections/squads, and also some heavy weapons teams.

The game’s release has been pushed back due to the ongoing situation currently taking place in the real world. This seemed appropriate given the nature of the setting.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

It was stated right there in that post. There was also another post confirming this elsewhere but I cannot find the link. But yeah, that's why. It's not just idle speculation. I'm basing it on what the author himself said and another post about it on another site as well.

So yeah, osprey is holding off because of that. Unfortunate.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 01:45:44 PM by Corrosion »

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2022, 03:00:17 PM »
Thanks for highlighting the clarification, being posted from 3 months ago looks like the original note from the Author may have got overlooked in more recent comms on the subject amongst us.

Offline bishop2k7

• Assistant
    • Random Fire
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2022, 03:11:04 PM »
Count me as someone who is looking forward to this game, so I hope Osprey takes another look at this soon.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2022, 04:43:45 PM »
It reminds me "operation flashpoint" a famous video game. I will follow this.

Offline bishop2k7

• Assistant
    • Random Fire
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2022, 05:56:48 PM »
It reminds me "operation flashpoint" a famous video game. I will follow this.

I loved Operation Flashpoint and the ARMA series. Great games.

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
  • High on life... and thinners. Mainly thinners.
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2022, 11:00:56 AM »
Just to follow on from the above, obviously Amazon were touting that my copy should have been with me today, but I've nnow recieved an email from them citing "delays in delivery" (though it looks available to order on their site, just "Out of Stock  ::) ). I went onto the Osprey site to see if there was any news or updates of substance, and it apoeats to have vanished completely, no listing under the games section and no mention now remains on a search for "Flashpoint"...
Proudly not painting Wars of The Roses since... ever

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2022, 11:54:36 AM »
Isn’t 2027 the year Mr Bezos is going to declare world domination and leave for Mars on a fleet of spaceships?

I genuinely look forward to Mr Bezos leaving this world.* I will pity the poor, bone weary, Martians forced to piss in a plastic soft drink bottle as they struggle to complete their soul-crushing shifts at an Amazon fulfilment centre for $5 an hour.

* Hopefully he will take Mr Musk with him.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo