Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:22:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What's your "production line" like?  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Re: What's your "production line" like?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 06:56:15 PM »
I pick a few goals for the year, and then I move from goal to goal completing what I need as I go. 

I know I can only paint about 75-150 minis a year, so i try to never plan anything beyond that size. 

Then, I tend to go unit-by-unit until the whole project is done.  Sometimes, I add in a quick filler 1-off in between, but typically it is Unit by Unit until the project is table ready. 

So, I might choose to do a Successor Army.  I buy the core models I need for the Phalanx.  i assemble and prime all like units.  Then, I start painting unit 1 until it is complete in one big batch of 10-15 models until the unit is done.  Then, the next Phalanx unit.  Once all Phalanx units are done, I buy the Cavalry.  Repeat until backlog is zero and project is done.   
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2020, 01:16:38 AM »
I have a rule that i have to do at least 30 minutes of "hobby" every day.
I try to do something like this, maybe not a half an hour but something, even if it just organising or tidying up. As you said, sometimes it turns into way more than a half hour, sometimes just 15 minutes.

Offline AFC Forever

• Student
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2020, 03:35:36 PM »
I do about 6 at a time usually with 1 or 2 projects on the go at a time. Like most people a lot of it is driven by the next scheduled game.

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2020, 10:22:28 PM »
As I tend to have a few projects on the go at the same time...I tend to a Unit/Squad/ Base/ Building for one, then move onto something from project two, then either back to project one, or onto project three.

I find that I don't get bored of any of the projects this way, so I keep up the momentum.

Offline williamb

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2020, 11:12:11 PM »
I usually do a production line when I have a batch of similar figures (hoplites, FPW, etc.)  Spray prime the figures then paint one color on all the figures before going to the next color. 

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2020, 11:31:15 AM »
Embrace the butterfly.
Paint what you want when you want
It's supposed to be a pleasurable hobby, so please yourself.

Deadlines, plans, projects, targets...I get all that b*llocks at work.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 07:21:35 AM by TWD »

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2020, 06:20:34 PM »
I tend to build things in units. A group of up to 24 figures at a time is my max. Right now I'm tediously painting Persian cavalry - I only have twelve in the queue but it is slow going, I've got them primed and ready and decided to just get one at a time done. This is inefficient but gives me the satisfaction of completion as each one gets done and when I get them all complete I can do a super detail pass and grass up their bases. In between bigger tasks I tend to do one-offs of leaders and standard bearers for kicks and grins. That can get my clock reset to dive into a unit.

I agree it is about what gives one joy! The most joy is when they transition from the closet to the work table then off into the glass cabinet, ready for game times in some future Covid-reduced world.

This old "how to" is what I attempt to do to get units done. Seemed easier fifteen - twenty years ago than now. Sadly there are lots more great figures to paint now - too many for me to catch up. But I try. I'm still trying to motivate myself to build a true Victrix Theban unit- but I can't get past the build out phase. So yes- follow your bliss, catch the butterfly, etc.

https://ancientbattles.com/merc_hoplites/merc_greeks.htm

« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 06:24:01 PM by Jjonas »
JJonas

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2020, 05:46:34 AM »
Jjonas, I know your pain.  I have a whole Foundry Late Achaemenid Persian army to paint. Picked it up half-price at a show last year and it is a perfect opponent for my  Hoplite Greek forces. However to do it justice will be a long-haul painting-wise.  I keep finding other projects to jump in front of them in my painting queue!

Lovely figures though.

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2020, 02:48:05 PM »
Jjonas, are those... toothpicks?

This reminds me of my earliest days of hobby, with my dad helping me fix a broken ballista by using toothpicks as the bolt, and a a broken sponge-stick on a dwarf gunner by using a Q-tip.

:'(  :'( .... ah the memories... to be 12 again
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 02:50:46 PM by Luigi »

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2020, 08:07:22 PM »
Yes toothpicks. I find they are great for holding and I can break them in half. The hole does not have to be that thick and deep and they clip off and clean out easily when I'm ready to stick on horses.

I did get one mostly done as a test. Hopefully I can lean in and get the rest done soon/ at least before the Covid takes me out.

Offline pws

• Scientist
    • Pippoweb hobby blog
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2020, 10:06:08 AM »
Mine is very simple and rational.
I don't have a proper dedicated space in my apartment, so I placed all the most used things in an A4Drawer(see pic), plus a A3 mousepad base + lamp/light and I move those items from/to lumber-room to dining-room everytime I want to paint (2-3 times per week  lol)
From top:
On the top, models in "production" in a small open DIY metal box (I dont'want miniatures to fall off accidentally during transition)
Drawer 1 and 2 colors.
Drawer 3 and 4 tools, inks, primer, glues, glasses... etc
Drawer 5 more models usually the thing in assembly/conversion.

During the years I set-up another full drawer box with: bits, grass/rock, decals and all the rest to finish models. This drawer is not to move from lumber-room it's just few steps away when needed. All the miniatures-archive/scenery/rest-of-the-stuff is in the attic in a dedicated space.

This set up is another key of "my system": I usually paint minitures in batches of not more than 3 dozen of minitures per batch (in 28mm or similar for other scales, i.e 1 DBA army at a time).
Paint follow (more or less) the same scheme:
1- assembly/conversion;
2- primer;
3- base colors;
4- shading
5-highlights/details
6- basing

This for the last 18 years, so I finish a "batch" in some sessions.
I'm happy, I got always new thing to do, I'm not bored form long tem projects not completed, I always play with painted minis and shelves of painted miniatures are filled within reasonable times  lol  (just have a look at my blog and I don't take pics of every projects)
I think the real "secret" is to paint small batches and in the last few years I started even to paint few batches for some friends too.
Ciao ciao
Per aspera ad astra
pippoweb.blogspot.it

Offline RSDean

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2020, 11:34:23 AM »
Mine is very simple and rational.
I don't have a proper dedicated space in my apartment, so I placed all the most used things in an A4Drawer(see pic), plus a A3 mousepad base + lamp/light and I move those items from/to lumber-room to dining-room everytime I want to paint (2-3 times per week  lol)

That looks good.  My space is semi-dedicated, but I think that I could make use of a similar drawer system, which would also allow the space to be neatened up quickly if guests are expected.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2020, 10:52:46 PM »
Mine is not permanent. I keep all my painting supplies in a Rubbermaid that can slide under my bed. 

I pull everything out and put it all away after every painting session.  It actually makes me more efficient because when I go to paint, I have to be committed to paint.   lol

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2020, 01:17:01 AM »
I did get one mostly done as a test.

That is a great looking paint scheme for your Persian horse.  Hope nothing interferes with your painting plan.

My dedicated painting space is half my work at home office hidden in our finished basement. It is a rather high density room with multiple desk/tables and shelves lining the walls. Everything not being painted is in boxes or RUB containers but I not sure I would describe it as 'rational'.   :)
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2020, 01:21:41 AM »
I wanted to add,

after months of doing absolutely nothing, hobby wise, this forum has managed to instill me the inspiration and the drive to get at least a model painted a week. And the past 2 weeks  I managed to 2 each week.

I know it's peanuts compared to a more normal output, but given my lack of any real free time (full time work + full time school+side business)  I find it quite a personal victory. And all thanks to this place