Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:02:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Assaye in 6mm  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Battle of Assaye in 6mm
« on: November 12, 2020, 09:00:33 PM »
After chipping away for three years (and being distracted repeatedly), I finally have completed the forces I need for my planned refight of the Battle of Assaye. The figures are mainly from Irregular Miniatures, with H&R providing the Crown infantry and EIC artillery battery. I'm planning on using a relatively small 4x4' table, so each unit (battalion/cavalry regiment) is represented by only 2 stands.

The next step is to fully develop the scenario, and hopefully get some time to play once Covid settles down!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Battle of Assaye in 6mm
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 10:17:02 PM »
That looks great. Really nice collection.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 12:31:28 PM »
Looking good. What rules will you use?
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 05:30:01 PM »
Thanks for the compliments!

I haven’t completely decided on a rule set. Originally I planned to use Black Powder (with very reduced measurements), and I still might do that. Since then I’ve been looking at other sets that use battalions as the tactical units, such as General de Brigade. I’ve also been considering trying one of Neil Thomas’ very simple rule sets, with a little chrome bolted on.

I’d be interested in hearing recommendations, especially if anyone has done a refight of Assaye!

Offline ChrisBBB

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 09:41:51 AM »
Dr Mark Smith has run a lot of Indian battles for us at the Oxford Wargames Society (Sikh Wars, Gwalior Campaign, Indian Mutiny). I remember Assaye was a good one. I don't recall the outcome, only that it was a tough job for us on the British side!

At OWS we use "Bloody Big BATTLES!". In the BBB files on groups.io there's a scenario for Mudki (Sikh Wars) that gives you an idea of how it handles two armies of very different character. We've had some great games from Mark's Indian scenarios. You can find a few AARs and photos from them on my BBBBlog:
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 11:36:30 AM »
I’d be interested in hearing recommendations, especially if anyone has done a refight of Assaye!

We played the Maratha and Pindari Wars in 15mm many years ago using the original version of the Charles Grant rules, the period was a favourite of one of the club stalwarts (now sadly missed) and his army collection was extensive to say the least. I remember he converted lots of artillery mounted on flat bed wagons drawn by an endless supply of oxen.

http://www.caliverbooks.com/bookview.php?l62dc0uf3o23e86u7q1f6uvlp3&id=28327&subcatcode=C&subcatno=69

That is the new revised and expanded version of his book.
Good review here: http://www.wargamesillustrated.net/wargaming-wellington-in-india

You will have to house rule the difference between casualties and "hits" on your multi figure bases and downscale the distances, but that is pretty much standard practice for us micro scale gamers!
The good thing is that all the work on unit types, command and the things that make the campaigns unique to India has been done.
Trying to adapt Black Powder, GdeB, Rank and File or other generic rule sets would be possible but not as easy.
I believe "Warfare in the Age of Reason" also covers the India Campaigns but have never used them.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 07:33:29 PM »
ChrisBBB, robh,

Thank you for the rules recommendations, I’ll look into them. As it turns out, I have both versions of the C.S. Grant book (the original was one of the things that kicked off the project!)

Warfare in the Age of Reason is interesting, as I’m a recent convert to SYW/18th century gaming. I’m hoping that the authors will release the rules through Wargames Vault soon (some of their other games are there), as printed copies seem a bit pricey!

I’ll post updates as I proceed!

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 09:42:25 PM »
Piquet Field on Battle might be a good match. Also Shako