Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:04:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690991
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: VSF world campaign  (Read 20695 times)

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
Re: VSF world campaign
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 09:36:08 PM »
Here are some more thoughts on campaign structure.

Maybe we should keep the campaign on Earth (maybe a fictious continent?) to start with since most people have earth terrain. The Martians or Venuvians,  dinosaurs etc. can still make an appearance.

We would have three type of battles:
Skirmish
Typical standard wargame
Aeronef/land ironclads epic scale games.

All battles would have the same rating in terms of faction points for the winner. I massive victory in a land ironclads game for example, would only have big ramifications in that province.

If you don't have much time or stuff you could just play out skirmish games.

We can divide the map into provinces and people register for each province. Each province will be a geographical region e.g. Melbourne Australia.

To keep the workload down we can have regional moderators that just collate info on their own provinces and then pass this on to the main moderator. We could have a specially set up forum or pinned topic set up for posting of the results.

It would of course be good if the moderators put together some sort of narrative , probably in the vein of a foreign correspondent to explain the provinces events. That type of battle report seems to be quite a popular here. Got to have lots of yummy piccies too!  ;)

Maybe we could aim to kick this off at the start of next year.

Cheers
Fuzzy.

Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 09:12:49 AM »
I have been thinking about this and have come up with two ideas.

1) An all out invasion of Great Britain.
From what I have seen of other peoples armies everyone has some British forces or has an opponent who has British.
Most people will have some scenery that will suit.
Alien armies could appear on the battle field under their own steam or transported there by their allies.
Basically everyone who has a force would need to pick a side. Defending Britain or Invading.

2) The other idea is Atlantis has risen in the oceans of the planet earth. All the opposing forces of the solar system want to conquer it and recover the fantastic technology hidden there.
The same as the idea above, Alien armies could appear on the battle field under their own steam or transported there by their allies or they could be the inhabitants of the island.
We could come up with a map of the island or just leave it to the respective players.
Scenery could be a bit more difficult than the British idea. But we could use any type of scenery and explain it away by people being marooned on the island in the past. Or as part of the build up to the campaign we could come up with some original scenery for the place. I am sure there are enough imaginative people on the forum to do that (New LAF competition idea ???).
The island could be big enough to have different areas of terrain, jungle, desert, temperate etc. So that what ever type of board people have will fit in.

We would have three type of battles:
Skirmish
Typical standard wargame
Aeronef/land ironclads epic scale games.

Would anybody be interested in arranging a game, as part of this, with 28 mm Aeronefs? :o
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 02:31:34 PM by gamer Mac »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 11:26:05 AM »
Sounds like a great idea.

As you know some of the LAFers here have been involved in a mini campaign based around the Prussian invasion of England.

We also started a campaign based on Venus, which is an ongoing project.

I am very happy as moderator to manage any new campaign and publish the results in an ILN type format as long as people send me photos, and AAR reports.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 12:22:20 PM »
I think the Atlantis idea could be good. Maybe Atlantis didn't sink between the waves. Maybe the Alanteans were conducting an experiment that went terribly wrong. When the device was activated it emitted a strange source of radiation killing the Atlanteans but also moving Atlantis into a parallel dimension. Life continued on this continent. When the device finally failed thousands of years later the dimensional bubble collapsed and Atlantis suddenly reappeared in the middle of the Atlantic ocean.

The continent contains remnants of the Atlantis city and diverse animal life such as dinosaurs and strange humanoids, the barbaric de evolved Atlanteans etc. etc.

The many powers of earth and the cosmos race to carve up this new territory and harness the left over Atlantis technology.

Anyone have a map of Atlantis???

Cheers
Fuzzy.

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 12:27:42 PM »
I'd prefer the Britain invaded (or perhaps France or something - much more original) idea to Atlantis. I only really have terrian for Africa (or rather, my figures are all based for Africa), so any games I play'll have to be set somewhere that looks like the Sudan...

Edit: Oh, I forgot about my 2mm LI stuff! Yes, I could play games in Europe at that scale. although, I'd need to build a few more....
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 12:29:43 PM by answer_is_42 »
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 01:20:34 PM »
Count me in! Bloody good idea!

As Malamute said a bunch of us here have been playing a Prussian invasion of England mini campaign and we're also toying with the idea of a counter invasion of Prussia.

As we're looking at playing in any scale I've got enough 15mm VSF forces for a campaign in the jungles of the Far East. I've got Brit, Prussian, Dutch, French, US and Confederation of South America units along with the steam contraption gubbins. It would certainly make for an interesting diversion and might even spread to Oz! 

Sterling Moose and the gang in Ontario have been playing some great VSF colonial games set in Asia so if they jump on board there's another theatre of combat.   
Don't!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 01:25:20 PM »
Atlantis gets my vote  :D :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 01:26:45 PM »
Atlantis gets my vote  :D :D

cheers

James

Over to you to make the scenery for that one Jim ;)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 01:30:03 PM »
Already on it in some respects  :D  :D (project from a while ago that DOES need to be brought out of the cupboard  ;) )

cheers

James

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 02:51:07 PM »

Would anybody be interested in arranging a game, as part of this, with 28 mm Aeronefs? :o

Sure. Fly on over here, and I will try to build a few more.  :D

I think the idea is wonderful - I just may try to see if I can get some other people interested enough to maybe join in. They all play Warhammer or Warmachine, but I just got a copy of Valor, Steel, and Flesh, and I must say, these rules look relatively simple but workable. Need to playtest them...

I think the easy way is to (is my wife looking? No?) collect a British or a Prussian force to oppose my Norwegians, as well as the Red and Green Martians I am also working on. I would love to be able to partake in the wine of VSF gaming with LAF.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 03:44:04 PM »
but I just got a copy of Valor, Steel, and Flesh, and I must say, these rules look relatively simple but workable. Need to playtest them...
I am still waiting on my set coming. Up to two weeks now :'( :'(

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
I have run such a campagin in the far past, though it was run by mail and grew till it collapsed, but I digress.

Suggestions and thoughts, as the coordinator, you update the maps and post the engagements that need to be played out, with a site to post on, the players can sign up for the listed battles and post results. Should players sign up, and not follow thru, then you have a Stalled offensive that is reposted as the sides "manuver and spread propaganda etc." Those that sign up and are really late convert the battle to a battle of manuver with the result haveing a minor or reduced effect if other battles were dependent on its outcome.

Another way is to list the battles, a bit of info the players need. If several different groups fight the battle you could:
     Average out the results, counting each as a part of the battle.
     Results that are wildly unlikely (we destroyed 100% and took no casualties) , well you have to figure what to do with those...

For battles, such as a city being atacked that Must have a result and for which you have no sign ups, to keep the whole thing moving along, you may need an arbitrary roll off chart.

Some groups might offer to fight several battles. Figuring a way to have the results influence a following battle give a bit of weight to the players in that they might play a bit harder to win .... which could be good or bad , heh.

Anyway there are my rambling and disorded thoughts.
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 01:08:51 AM »
We don't have to over think the mechanics of the campaign.

The "campaign" could really just be a series of standalone battles in a particular province. Different groups of players can decide for themselves how they want to run their own mini campaign.

I guess we could have any theatre we like. Britain invaded, Prussia invaded, Mars, Atlantis etc. The campaign could be a whole solar system affair. Players also don't need to commit to regular games all the time. I think to keep it simple we can just announce which factions are winning which provinces and which faction is the leader overall after taking the results from each province.

I guess we should maybe decide on the factions first:

Some of the more obscure armies e.g. Norwegian  ;) could decide to join one of the larger factions as an ally.

Here is a obvious list please make suggestions:

British
Prussian
Russian
French
USA
Japan
Martians
Evil scientists/anarchists

For example Captain Nemo would be a member of the Evil Scientists faction.  Boxer rebellion Chinese could also side with the Evil scientists or maybe Russia.

Cheers
Fuzzy

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 01:22:50 AM »

I guess we should maybe decide on the factions first:

Some of the more obscure armies e.g. Norwegian  ;) could decide to join one of the larger factions as an ally.

Who are you calling obscure, Aussie?

Here is a obvious list please make suggestions:

British
Prussian
Russian
French
USA
Japan
Martians
Evil scientists/anarchists

For example Captain Nemo would be a member of the Evil Scientists faction.  Boxer rebellion Chinese could also side with the Evil scientists or maybe Russia.

Cheers
Fuzzy

Although that is not a bad way to do it - I'd be more than happy to make my Norwegians battle for the might of Mars. That would show the Brits what for!

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 11:18:21 AM »
How many provinces are we likely to have?

My province is the fantastic realm of Melburnitopia where the beer is cold, the woman hot and it is the empire's sporting capital of the globe  :D

In our realm we have the following factions ( or will have once I twist a few more arms)

British
Prussian
Japanese
Russian
Zanzibar/Arab slavers ( evil scientists faction)
Boxer Chinese  (faction tbc)
Doctor Moreau and Charles Darwin's children of the evolution army
(evil scientists faction)

Any other provinces to be nominated??

Cheers
Fuzzy