Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:25:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Any PAINTED examples of Stargrave plastic Crew/Crew II figures?  (Read 989 times)

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Any PAINTED examples of Stargrave plastic Crew/Crew II figures?
« on: January 19, 2024, 10:24:33 PM »
I ordered a couple of plastic sprues of the Stargrave Crew and Crew II.  Don’t get me wrong, the artwork for the original box is good, but I need some additional inspiration* or tips for how to select paint for all that layered clothing.

Questions:
- How do you select which colors for an non-uniform group like that? 
- Do you do the “gang thing” and make sure there is one color they all wear in common, but on different garments? 
- Or do you scheme each one individually, with no colors repeating on the other figures?
- Where do you draw your inspiration for these types of figures?
- Additional suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Dan
* My background involved painting mostly Roman Legionaires and other historical uniformed armies that were essentially identical figures.  For the occasional non-uniformed types (barbarian bands), I always had Ospreys and other reference book illustrations to emulate.
Also, when painting 40K tyranids, I usually followed a common color palette of blues.  So now I’m stumped.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 10:50:00 PM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
Re: Any PAINTED examples of Stargrave plastic Crew/Crew II figures?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 09:25:10 AM »
Here's an earlier thread with some examples of mine if it helps

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=133168.msg1704625#msg1704625

No binding colours for the crew  unlike the military types

No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 11:46:25 AM »
You could just take inspiration from the way people dress in the street, on tv or from photos on the internet.

Look at the way people combine colours, the kind of colour combinations that work and those that don't.

As a general idea, unless it's something specific, I go for earthy or grey tones, with maybe one bright primary or secondary colour to set them off.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 02:24:38 PM »
Here is one painted.

For inspiration, think about Star Trek (see above) or Star Wars (some of them go to Han Solo's tailor).

I add one of the metal zombies because it is a zombie version of one the plastics.

The plastics are fun to build (I have a lot more built than painted).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 02:36:09 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Kourtchatovium104

• Scientist
  • An atom from alternate realities...
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2024, 02:28:47 PM »
You can decide and use the background of the whole crew: are they individuals gathering for a certain purpose, a gang or an official constituted team?

For example, I used to paint 3 of mine in the military scheme of the Firefly tv serie, red, brown and grey. And for the others, there is no uniform at all! (In this serie, some came from military and hired the others).

Using one specific color to identify your crew but in different clothes of the minis is also a good idea.

But what is really fun (for me) is first to imagine a little background for each mini and then to paint it: a scientist will have some white in his clothes, a soldier some green, etc...

But why not green and purple stripes? (I'm just thinking  of it  ;) ). If you like vibrant colors, have a look at the Numenera rpg; if not, TV series and movies give you sober colors. Don't curb your imagination!  :)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2024, 07:42:02 PM »
My stuff is notionally set on the fringes of society, so it tends to be muted colours. I do have a few brightly painted figures, but I see a future for them as tourists or hostages ;D

For influences, Firefly, Dark Matter, Killjoys. Even things like The 100, although a lot of them are dressed head to toe in black, which isn't great for the tabletop.

As others have said, contemporary colours should work fine, so even the Walking Dead. I'm not too bothered about making a crew look cohesive, as my crew is a bunch of folk who fly around in the same ship, not a military unit. However, I do tend to keep to a common palette, unless there's a good reason not to.

Not from the crew boxes, but some colonists and others I finished last month

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024, 08:24:21 PM »
This fella is painting his crew in decidedly different color schemes:

https://youtu.be/8wFrNLJgPDk?si=6FRCelT097mBdOVT

Dan