Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:11:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686620
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Advice please on sorting paint flaking on WW2 vehicles  (Read 706 times)

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
Advice please on sorting paint flaking on WW2 vehicles
« on: November 04, 2020, 10:35:01 AM »
Good morning,

Before I start I thought I would ask for advice and help with four JTFM WW2 vehicles I bought ' as seen' off eBay. A good price and the seller has advised that;

"they were scrubbed with soapy water and a toothbrush, grey car primer, then Humbrol enamel"

All have patches of lost paint as below. Wondering do I try and get the rest off before repainting or is their some wonder product I could use to harden the enamels so they do not flake as would hate repaint and then have that also drop off?

(The forth one is a Sherman Firefly but the tracks have come adrift so it looks a little too sad for a photo)

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Tony

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: Advice please on sorting paint flaking on WW2 vehicles
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 05:27:45 PM »
I would strip the paint and reprime. But not with car primer, which is not good on resin; it is designed for metal. I find artists acrylic from the tube a good resin primer

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 05:27:55 PM »
I had this recently on my Forgeworld timber bridge which I finally assembled and painted after it had sat in a box for 10 years!
Like an idiot, I forgot to scrub it with detergent, and then I used a Halfords spray paint on it that was not a genuine primer. It works fine as a primer on plastic and metal figures and models, but resin with some residue on it, even after 10 years - evidently not!
Most of it was okay, but there was one area where the paint kept flaking off. In the end I just had to scrub all the paint off that whole area, use a bit of neat detergent on a toothbrush, wash it, mask the rest of the model, respray it with proper primer, and then repaint it. That seemed to cure it.
I previously tried painting over the flaking areas with enamel, and with PVA. It still kept flaking.
I would say your seller is perhaps not telling the whole truth when he says he scrubbed it and used car primer. Either that, or the manufacturer used some particularly fearsome release agent on the mould, and those patches of residue proved impervious to scrubbing with detergent and priming. But that would be quite extreme.

I sympathise. It’s a major pain in the butt to make good paint flaking off resin :(

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 07:01:09 PM »
I use cheap scouring cream and a toothbrush on all my resin kits.

Most of my kits get a coat of Citadel Chaos Black spray, which seems to hold on most things (the original metal Frodo and a Die Waffenkamer Comet being the only problem items - and a resin container which is still bleeding).

I suspect strip, clean, prime, paint is your best bet.

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 08:51:06 PM »
Thank you all for taking time to reply and the advice offered.
JTFM =is also Dei Waffenkamer so maybe it was a batch with fearsome release agent.
Cheers
Tony