Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:09:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690721
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Simple key to Japanese island forces uniforms in WW2?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
Simple key to Japanese island forces uniforms in WW2?
« on: November 05, 2020, 04:34:54 AM »
Does anyone know the uniforms of the various Japanese troops on the islands in WW2 facing the US marines? I cant figure them out from a shade pov. They seem to sometimes wear a dark green, sometimes a light khaki tan and sometimes combinations of tops and bottoms in either color; sometimes with white tennis shirts.

Maybe someone knows the best source to get an overview? The Osprey books often dont really explain why some troops wear one shade over another, or even if it is a different shade or just bleached by the sun!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Simple key to Japanese island forces uniforms in WW2?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 08:59:27 AM »
As I understand it earlier in the war Japanese army uniforms were khaki or at least the tunics and trousers were, shirts could vary. The Navy’s SNLF uniforms tended to a more olive colour. As the war progressed the Army also adopted darker, more olive toned uniforms. Naturally enough there would have been transition in the adoption, exhaustion of existing stocks of older kit and the natural vagaries of different manufacturers, dye batches, environmental induced fading etc, etc.

I mix ‘n’ match mine.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 09:01:15 AM »
By the by, Wikipedia has a quick and dirty guide that might help you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniforms_of_the_Imperial_Japanese_Army#M98_(98_Shiki-Gun-i)

Offline punkrabbitt

• Scientist
  • Let's do this!
    • Punkrabbitt Publishing
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 01:37:25 AM »
Also, there was a lot of fading from the sun. local soaps, etc so there was quite a range of colors represented, from almost "new" color to almost white regardless of what it might have started as. Also, sometimes uniforms needed to be replaced with local procurement.
Hi! I'm Harry. I am a hobby addict; I game sci-fi, fantasy, and historical (including Ancients, Dark Ages, Renaissance, and World War II Manchukuo.)

Please visit my OSR products for sale at www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17194/Punkrabbitt-Publishing

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 01:18:30 PM »
The bushido ethic despised physical comforts, including smart uniforms, and held that any old rag was good enough for a soldier to die and rot in. One observer in Malaya described Japanese soldiers in the field as looking like 'badly wrapped brown paper parcels'. Cut off from supply on rocks out in the ocean, Japanese soldiers often went threadbare and ragged. In tropical heat, men sometimes stripped off their uniforms and fought in their underwear. You have a lot of latitude.
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline Mahwell skel

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 03:07:12 PM »
I painted my 15mm Japanese in a range of Vallejo Paints through from very Yellow "Japanese Uniform" to dark coloured "Canvas". They look ok as a group as some are in helmets and some soft caps. Adds some flavour. I was looking at Burma or islands so cut off from supply they could be anything and everything really.

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 11:14:45 PM »
I have looked at many guides and illustrations I finally settled on this one