Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:37:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Napoleonic Gothic Horror game coming from Osprey?  (Read 20838 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Napoleonic Gothic Horror game coming from Osprey?
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2021, 04:52:15 AM »
Hmm, there are solo scenarios; so expanding those to multi-player co-op should be feasible.

True.. but only five.

I have no problem with house rules or modifying a game to suit my tastes. Mrs. GG however tends to prefer playing games as written if she can. I would have preferred the game to suit us perfectly right out of the box but I can understand the decision given the setting.

So we’ll just tailor the game to suit us. Not a big deal but Inwanted to be open and honest in my opinions rather than just fanboy gush.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline critsmash

• Bookworm
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2021, 12:12:14 PM »
True.. but only five.

I have no problem with house rules or modifying a game to suit my tastes. Mrs. GG however tends to prefer playing games as written if she can. I would have preferred the game to suit us perfectly right out of the box but I can understand the decision given the setting.

So we’ll just tailor the game to suit us. Not a big deal but Inwanted to be open and honest in my opinions rather than just fanboy gush.

I'm with Mrs. GG on this. The game was sold in with the following description "The game can be played solo, co-operatively, or competitively" so it is disappointing if that is not the case. The coop experience in this setting was a big draw for me so I am hoping that coop mechanics are covered properly in the book and not just as a side note to solo play...The two video reviews have not touched on that at all so that worries me a little.   

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2021, 01:55:16 PM »
From the two videos I get the impression we are not going to see much in coop other than, you can split your group between two players and run the solo campaign. Although that would mean only one player has the senior officer….

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2021, 12:33:44 PM »
Another video going over the rulebook with a little bit more on the coop aspect near the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf6gTOSC4tM

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2021, 04:14:24 PM »
As I sat here reading this a message from North Star flashed up. They have dispatched my Silver Bayonet bundle!  lol :-* :-*

(Quick trip to the Orcs Nest now for more bases).
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2021, 04:17:06 PM »
Speaking of videos, a play-through with some explanation from Ash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73KB_ntyT8M

Have to say (in fact, I did say in the comments over there) that really left me wondering why I should buy this rule set.  I own Vampire Wars and Chaos In Carpathia already, so this niche is feeling kind of full already for me.  The "monster hunting" part of SB does not come through at all in that vid.  Whopping total of one NPC hobgoblin shows up in the whole game, does virtually nothing, and killing it didn't seem to reward the side that did so.  Played out like a typical "let's kill each other while doing some minor scenario actions" game of Frostgrave or Stargrave with slightly different game mechanics. 

Does anyone know if the lack of meaningful monster activity is the norm in the game, or was this some kind of weird fluke of teh investigation system or maybe just a strange low-threat scenario?  I really want a game about monster hunting (even a competitive one) to force the players to feel like the game system is threatening them and forcing some degree  of cooperation, and this did not deliver at all.   

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2021, 05:31:47 PM »
Does anyone know if the lack of meaningful monster activity is the norm in the game, or was this some kind of weird fluke of teh investigation system or maybe just a strange low-threat scenario?

This looks like a low threat scenario.

On FB, Northstar had posted the following info on numbers of monsters needed to get started with the opening scenarios:
Scenario 1 - 1 Hobgoblin (and 5 for a later use)
Scenario 2 - 7 Revenants
Scenario 3 - 1 Troll
Scenario 4 - 5 Goblins

Experience points were earned for finding the Hoblgoblin and then for killing it.  So more critters will divert attention from the forces just going after each other.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2021, 08:10:44 PM »
Mrs. GG does not like directly oppositional gaming, so competitive but not necessarily confrontational is what I need to sell it to her. Without a strong coop system, we need a high threat level to have the narrative make sense that our groups are not immediately at each other’s throats.

If this does not deliver that out of the box so to speak, then I suppose we will just farm it for mechanics we like or house rule modify it to suit our needs.

Either way, my plan is to use this to supplement modified Sharp Practice.

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2021, 06:53:57 AM »
Have to be honest Ash's playthough seemed a little off to me too - I was hoping from more narative gameplay like ROSD, not full blown of course but atleast some opportunity for surprises

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2021, 03:42:24 PM »
Mrs. GG does not like directly oppositional gaming, so competitive but not necessarily confrontational is what I need to sell it to her. Without a strong coop system, we need a high threat level to have the narrative make sense that our groups are not immediately at each other’s throats.

Hmm, this got me thinking on how to structure a semi-coöperative game for two or more players; or possibly 2 opposing sides for a multi-player convention game (each side being semi-coöperative).  This might be an entertaining avenue to pursue...

Units on the same side can be from the same nation, allied forces, or just a confederation of hunters operating together under their own truce.  However, the officers are vying for the most victory points for their own unit to gain recognition and promotion.

Blatant attacks against each other are forbidden; but muskets aren't terribly accurate, and  friendly fire accidents are a distinct possibility — the Brunswickers were notorious for shooting anyone who got in front of their position and wasn't wearing a black uniform! 

Rules of engagement, you can only attack another player's figure if:
* the attacker is not in line of sight of a figure except for the target or others in the attacker's own unit, or
* shooting, if there is also a monster in shooting range and within a 30º arc of the target.

Any violation of the above results in:
* -1 victory point if the target is wounded.
* -2 victory points if the target is killed.
* Any character(s) from the target's unit can attack the assailant character with no penalty.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2021, 06:53:46 PM »
Hmm.. liking your ideas mate.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2021, 08:06:27 AM »
I finally got to see Ash‘s playthrough. Sadly a bit underwhelming for me. Hopefully that is just down to it being the first scenario and things pick up a bit as you go on.

Why underwhelming?

It did not feel horrific. There was no sense of terror or any kind of atmosphere. I did not get a sense of Napoleonic warfare.

I was not immersed.

The two action activation with reloading being a single action felt very quick, basically load and shoot every activation.

Despite Richard Sharpe so famously going on about shooting three rounds a minute, 1 to 6 rounds a minute for smooth bore muskets was common in the Napoleonic era according to historical sources.

The rate of fire depended on quality of weapon, training, and time taken for aiming.

General Jomini wrote "This is important question of the influence of musket fire in battles is not new: it dates from the reign of Frederick the Great, and particularly from the battle of Mollwitz, which he gained - it was said - because his infantrymen, by the use of cylindrical rammers in loading their muskets, were able to fire 3 shots per minute more than their enemies." (Before 1730 all European armies used wooden ramrods, the Prussians were the first to adopt the iron ramrod.)

The ratio of musket fire was 1-6 shots per minute, depending on quality of weapon, training and time taken for aiming. Marshal Maurice de Saxe wrote: "Light infantry should be able to fire

http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/infantry_tactics_2.htm

Then there is the fact it takes longer to reload a rifle than a musket. Is that reflected in the rulebook?

Originally I liked the idea of the split activations in the turn but the playthrough did not seem as interesting as I first thought.

The return fire or duck for cover rule was interesting but in play it did not look that great.

What happens if more than one person shoots at a model? Does it keep getting to move after each shot? Not enough minis to make stacking it crazy I suppose.

When I watch Sharp Practice playthroughs I get a sense of Napoleonic skirmishing, albeit with a Hollywood Sharpe lens filter to it, and I er immersed.

What I want from the Silver Bayonet is to feel the same but with added supernatural horror.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2021, 08:36:41 AM »
The book is now with us.  :-*

https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=15803

We've shipped all the pre-orders, the shipments to our American & European partners will be leaving ASAP (Though as the 2 main ones are at Historicon this weekend they won't be doing much with them).

The miniatures will be on general sale from Monday.
https://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=302&cat=748&page=1

I wasn't involved in the play testing of this game, so I've got my first 'foray' into it next week.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2021, 08:38:48 AM »
New figures, the Russians for Silver Bayonet came in yesterday, along with the Vampires, Goblins and Living Scarecrow. I'll have pictures of them all very soon.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2021, 11:53:14 AM »
That is great news Nick. I may have been underwhelmed by Ash‘s first playthrough but I am still very excited about the Silver Bayonet.

And exceedingly curious to see the new sculpts coming!