Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:18:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689225
  • Total Topics: 118264
  • Online Today: 500
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Backache and wargaming...  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Backache and wargaming...
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2020, 09:44:22 PM »
Ray, that was very careless  ;)
But looks like you were very lucky to escape worse injury. Running a bar seems a safer occupation on balance  lol

Offline pancakeonions

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2020, 03:38:00 PM »
Egads....  That's terrifying...  Glad you ejected quick enough, that would have presumably been quite a bummer to go in the drink (while in a jet), though I can imagine flying dozens of feet in the air and hitting the side of an aircraft carrier on the way down would be something you'd like to put behind you.   Looks like the chutes opened so you didn't hit quite as hard as maybe you might otherwise have.

Holy moly. 

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2020, 08:35:13 PM »
Wow Ray, that was quite the close call. And captured so well for posterity. Glad you survived that and thanks for sharing.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 08:59:48 PM »

Glad you're OK Ray… I wonder though, did they deduct the price of the jet from your pay? ;D
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2020, 09:43:09 PM »
Never expected to see such a, for lack of a better word, fascinating video clip on a wargaming site!

Thank you for sharing and although we are strangers to each other I am very glad you have survived that!
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2020, 02:44:23 PM »
Egads....  That's terrifying... 

Had a couple other close calls, but couldn't save this one. It's just part of the job. A job I really loved.

Wow Ray, that was quite the close call.

We had about 2 seconds to make a decision. I called the ejection as the other guy was a newbie on his first carrier qualification.

I wonder though, did they deduct the price of the jet from your pay?

The tail hook broke off, so mechanical failure. They have been paying me for injuries ever since.

Never expected to see such a, for lack of a better word, fascinating video clip on a wargaming site!

Thank you for sharing and although we are strangers to each other I am very glad you have survived that!

Not something I share too often. A number of friends of mine had accidents they didn't survive.

Ray, that was very careless  ;)
But looks like you were very lucky to escape worse injury. Running a bar seems a safer occupation on balance  lol

Indeed, running a cafe is a hell'va lot safer. But in contrast it is incredibly boring to say the least.  ;)

Still, I'm here to tell the tale and thanks to all for your comments!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2020, 09:29:07 PM »
Fascinating story Ray.
I’m off on Tuesday to have nerve blockers injected into T9 to T11 under CT scan,hope it works,for a little while at least.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2020, 01:00:41 AM »
Life on a carrier deck was never boring from what I heard.  I did civilian maintenance on A6, EA6-B among other aircraft and was always amazed at the stories I heard.  Glad your still here.

Good luck BlackWolf on your treatment.  I was really lucky and my earlier back/neck issue are under control with post therapy exercise.   
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2020, 11:26:41 AM »
Thanks for that Ray, only on the LAF can you get this kind of thing. A thread dedicated to sniveling about yer bad back, leads to a lucky escape from a watery grave!
Life now, in the slow lane might be boring, but they can't take away your memories.

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2020, 11:35:07 AM »
Sorry for taking the thread off topic..

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2020, 02:41:09 PM »
You haven't, a great tale of derring-do, ans some practical tips on bending over a table!

:)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2020, 09:18:56 PM »
Just for reference sake of my above post; if you do at all suffer from chronic back pain,get it checked out. I’ve since discovered that I have two fractures in my thoracic spine :o

Guy

Offline RichyBee

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2020, 11:01:10 PM »
i have been diagnosed with spinal decease a couple of weeks ago, me forefinger and thumb right hand is very poor ,all fingers/thumbs are hyper sensitive and a little numb. Painting armies is thing of the past. Today i put on 4 latex gloves to play on my xbox. This is cos of painting figs !!!! Im 47
Cos of all the horrible/ nasty /idiot gamers i have met over the years i wish i never done this hobby . This is virtually every opponant ive met....ive just been very unlucky that's all . now im suffering for it.