Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:03:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690917
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Massacre of the Swiss Guards 1792 - painting finally started!  (Read 6757 times)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Massacre of the Swiss Guards 1792 - painting finally started!
« on: November 10, 2020, 05:41:46 PM »
I am planning a project for the above mentioned topic and I am searching for sources and inspiration, especially what part of the action that is best suited for the tabletop. It was images like the ones below that pushed me over the top  ;):
!. Attack on the front gate
2. The grand staircase
3. The garden
4. Something else...?

I just saw that WSS magazine 111 has a section on this, anyone seen it?

Grateful for any advice!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 08:40:13 AM by traveller »

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Massacre of the Swiss Guards 1792
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 05:56:47 PM »
Terrific prints,I can easily see how you became inspired :)
Your first and third suggestions would probably be the most practical in my opinion,looking forward to see what you come up with :)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 06:48:47 PM »
Thanks Romark! Yes, these prints really cries out to be re-created on the tabletop. I have a soft spot for the "last stand" type of scenarios and thanks to the new miniatures from Emperor Toad both the Swiss and the National Guard are now available in good quality 28mm. I guess I am leaning towards no 3 the garden with the big fountain but the others are also tempting....the table is maximum 120 x 240 cm so that is also a limitation...decisions, decisions... ???

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 07:05:08 PM »
Yep,those minis look very nice :)
See what other feedback you get from other members,lots I hope :)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 08:44:53 PM »
Some great looking pictures there.

I’ve got WSS111 and the article on this didn’t impress me that much, the photos of figures in the terrain, look really odd, the figures look very static, and far too close together. Nothing like the drawings shown here.

I’ve not read through the article, but it comprises two linked scenarios, with stats for Sharpe Practise. One scenario in the courtyard, the other in the gardens.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 09:04:35 PM »
Thanks Fred,

good, I will order the magazine anyway and hope it can give some inspiration, the garden scenario sounds interesting!

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 10:11:05 PM »
I would go for a very skirmish type scenario ..with the Swiss and the noble volunteers having the mission  to resist until the royal family could escape..on the other hand there could be a random event with increasing possibility along the game that Gardes Nationales or treacherous Gardes Francaises could join the mob even with a field piece..on the opposite site a very scant possibility of the Swiss and Nobles defenders receiving inespected support from  a few troopers of Royal Allmand Cavalry coming from their barracks
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 10:15:20 PM by italwars »

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 12:18:19 AM »
A great idea for a mini campaign or linked scenarios! The terrain might become a deep rabbit hole... :D

Offline Vanth

• Librarian
    • Warcolours Miniature Painting Studio
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 10:20:01 AM »
I read massacre of the Swiss Guard and immediately I think of the Vatican... this happens when you are roman...
Vanth
"...there are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..:"

http://www.warcolours.net
https://www.facebook.com/warcolours
https://www.etsy.com/shop/WarcoloursMiniatures
https://www.instagram.com/warcoloursminiatures/

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 03:57:09 PM »
I would go for a very skirmish type scenario ..with the Swiss and the noble volunteers having the mission  to resist until the royal family could escape..on the other hand there could be a random event with increasing possibility along the game that Gardes Nationales or treacherous Gardes Francaises could join the mob even with a field piece..on the opposite site a very scant possibility of the Swiss and Nobles defenders receiving inespected support from  a few troopers of Royal Allmand Cavalry coming from their barracks

Great ideas! Have you seen any info on the numbers of noble volunteers that may have joined the fight together with the Swiss? Were there still Royal Allemand Cavalry in Paris at this point in time?

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 04:00:53 PM »
I read massacre of the Swiss Guard and immediately I think of the Vatican... this happens when you are roman...

Don´t remind me of that...another stalled project  :D
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=52686.0

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 04:04:57 PM »
A great idea for a mini campaign or linked scenarios! The terrain might become a deep rabbit hole... :D

Well, I started to gather forces for this project many years ago and it is really the terrain that have held me back. The buildings are quite complicated and time consuming to construct and the gardens are a bit...flat... but I think I will settle for the latter anyway, the thought of hordes of Sans culottes storming forward towards the Swiss standing around the fountain is intriguing ;)

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 04:25:30 PM »
Great ideas! Have you seen any info on the numbers of noble volunteers that may have joined the fight together with the Swiss? Were there still Royal Allemand Cavalry in Paris at this point in time?
my idea of scenario is partially historical cause if you play it as it happened is a no no situation with poor game appeal...during the Tuilleries assault the King and his familiy had already escaped to the Assemblée Nationale so the sacrifice of the Gardes Suisses was an  unexpected or should i say  vain episode of honour and the consequence also of an unexpected blast of rage from the mob..the Swiss and the Gentilhommes defended an empty palace maybe just a symbol...the nobles and retainers  were about 200 they had little part in the fight and, contrary to the Swiss Gardes succeeded in abandoning the Tuilleries palace and  gardens unsditurbed while the mob dwelled on the Swiss rounding up and executing the last ones that tried to surrender...among the defenders also some loyal Gardes Nationales de Paris above all officers...
The Royal Allmand of course did'nt show up...by this time they had been practically cancelled as they were now labelled "15ème de Cavalerie"...but i had the idea to consider them for a what if scenario because they had already charged at the beginning of the Revolution, and even in the Tuilleries Gardens, the Parisian mob ...and, together with the survivors of the Swiss Guards, many of them later joined the Royalist Armies of both Prince of Condé and later the Vendeans...so i have a certain simpathy for them ;)..being one the most iconic anti revolutionary elements...
just my thought but outside real big set up battles French Revolution has a certain pulp aspect that could be reproduded on table top skirmish or  role-playing games even with few  miniatures and Tuilleries could be such an example cause it's difficult, outside a skirmish what if game, to find an historical objective.
this French old series is  not bad
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 04:54:41 PM by italwars »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 05:33:45 PM »
It certainly sounds like the WSS article would be worth getting as it very much looks at these ideas / scenarios

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 05:40:42 PM »
I thought that the defining moment was when the King himself ordered the Swiss to cease firing as he wanted to spare the lives of the mob?  The Swiss ordered arms and the Mob then promptly massacred them.  Or is that not what happened?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.