Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:39:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690845
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oathmark Riverine Craft? Where do we buy boats?  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Oathmark Riverine Craft? Where do we buy boats?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2020, 10:48:32 PM »
Having now read the supplement (which has started a number of ideas, as has the Oathmark Archipelago thread here), there is the question of how best to represent the craft in accordance with the rules.

Theoretically both sizes require a five by four inch slot for the small boat, and two slots for the larger boat. Additional space would then be required for the crew and make it look like a boat.

Offline Baconfat

• Librarian
    • baconfatblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2020, 11:36:45 PM »
That long boat is great (you did not use the curtains for the sails?).

The fabric is that lightweight fabric that sometimes comes with new shoes (Reebok and Sears are two brands).   Soaked it with spray paint twice.  Once dry, masked and sprayed white and blue stripes.   The first spray soaks prevents the stripes from bleeding into each other.   The paint also gives the fabric some strength to hold a shape and maintain flexibility, even unfurled.   

One pair of shoes will give you enough for five or six sails.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2023, 09:00:55 AM »
A bit of Threadomancy, but I thought this deserved it.

Blotz do a River Barge which just happens to be big enough to take a 5x4 sabot base.
https://blotz.co.uk/product/28mm-river-barge/
Okay, as an MDF kit it would seem to leak at the corners a bit.

I will have some more photographs on my Oathmark thread later.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2023, 09:30:31 AM »
For a stalled Ghost Archipelago project, I bought some cheap 2nd hand Playmobil pirate ships; a big one and a slightly smaller one. They are perfect for conversion into 28mm scale vessels, but they do need waterlining, which will be a right chore as they are made of very thick and sturdy plastic.

But I'm happy with them, even though I have not done any converting on them (yet)...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Dolnikan

• Librarian
    • Dolnikan Games
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2023, 11:11:55 AM »
I bought myself a pair of the Revell 1:50 viking ships and they easily fit quite a few models and look like they're the right scale. Unfortunately, I still have to figure out a good way to remove the bottom part of the hull in a straight line so they don't need supports and look much better on the table. Any suggestions for that would be more than welcome!

I also have a pair of smaller sailboats from Archon. One had a casting flaw so they sent me a second sprue and I'm obviously doing repairs on the damaged one. Those however are pretty small and are more suitable for an adventuring part than for real units.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2023, 02:20:51 PM »
Coincidentally I have that very same boat for some Vikings I have; at 1/50, it's understandably poppular with historical wargamers.

I still have to try waterlining myself, but when I do, I will use this method I have seen on several different blogs over the years:

Build the ship, and then temporarily fix it to a flat surface, with plenty of room to spare around it. Then attach a marker to a flat block in such a way that the very tip of the marker is at the exact level you want the waterline to be on your ship.

Then slide the block with the marker around the ship, taking care that the tip of the marker is always touching the ship. Go all around the hull, till you have a continuous line all around the ship.

Then cut the hull by whatever means you have available along the line. This can be a hacksaw, a jeweler's saw (for which you will need to pre-drill a hole, obviously) or even a powertool of choice, such as a jigsaw, or, if your have the luxury; a tablesaw (safety!).

After the cutting, fix a large surface of sanding paper to the table and sand the cut edges of the hull smooth.

The nice thing about this method is that you can afford to be less precise when cutting, because you can sand the hull perfectly flat later on...

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2023, 04:33:15 PM »
Blotz have some inexpensive mdf models that might do for this.
https://blotz.co.uk/product-category/wargames-terrain/28mm-terrain/boats-and-ships-28mm/

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2023, 06:02:05 PM »
Blotz have some inexpensive mdf models that might do for this.
https://blotz.co.uk/product-category/wargames-terrain/28mm-terrain/boats-and-ships-28mm/
Jolly Boat (nine figures).

River Barge (twenty figures).

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2023, 09:04:35 AM »
Then cut the hull by whatever means you have available along the line. This can be a hacksaw, a jeweler's saw (for which you will need to pre-drill a hole, obviously) or even a powertool of choice, such as a jigsaw, or, if your have the luxury; a tablesaw (safety!).

While I havent done it myself, I've seen people do it with a bandsaw and I gotta say, with a fine toothed blade it seems like the best saw to use.