Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:36:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Solo wargaming with miniatures  (Read 5006 times)

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
Solo wargaming with miniatures
« on: November 14, 2020, 07:04:05 PM »
When I started my blog six months ago, I had in mind that I had to make a post on solo wargaming: Rulesets, control of the opponent...

It's the result of several years playing solo (more or less since I became father of two children) 😅

I hope it helps people to get started to play solo and have a really good time.

https://fearofthedarkskirmishwargame.blogspot.com/2021/03/solo-wargaming.html?m=1
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 05:44:05 PM by tereydavi »
Fear of the Dark skirmish wargame blog (rules, scenarios, general articles...)

https://fearofthedarkskirmishwargame.blogspot.com/

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
Re: Solo wargaming with miniatures
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 10:19:12 PM »
Interesting read, thanks. I could do with getting my arse in gear and making more use of my mini collection.

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 12:00:32 AM »
Since I was father (5 years ago) I had no time to hang with other players, and I started to search a way to play with al the minis I had.

Nowadays I usually play once a week solo, and I have to tell you that it is really fun and enjoyable.

All the Rulesets that are published usually have in mind a way to be played solo, 'cause there is a lot of people demanding it.

I hope this post helps you to start playing solo, and all the battle reports you see in my blog were played solo, and were really fun to play.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 08:46:52 AM »
Great blog, very enjoyable reading. I enjoyed the tutorials and the battle reports very much. Looks like a lot of fun in those games. Thanks for sharing your adventures with everyone.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Online Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 09:18:22 AM »
I'm currently trying to come to terms with either solo gaming or packing in...
your blog's given me hope!

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 09:27:02 AM »
Your blog is one of only four I have bookmarked; it's great for inspiration.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 09:29:11 AM »
Thanks for another good post, a good reminder for some ideas for people asking what I want for xmas...

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 12:45:47 PM »
Great blog, very enjoyable reading. I enjoyed the tutorials and the battle reports very much. Looks like a lot of fun in those games. Thanks for sharing your adventures with everyone.

Thanks a lot!!
The games were really enjoyable and fun indeed...
And many more to come!!

I'm currently trying to come to terms with either solo gaming or packing in...
your blog's given me hope!

I hope it helps you!!!
As I play solo I have everything at home, so, all the miniatures, scenery and so on needed to take the less space as possible as I live with my wife, two kids and two cats...
Quite difficult to have 3d printed or resin scenery.

Your blog is one of only four I have bookmarked; it's great for inspiration.

Thanks for another good post, a good reminder for some ideas for people asking what I want for xmas...

Thanks a lot!!
You can't imagine what your support means to me...
Sometimes when I'm posting something is like talking alone, thanks for showing me that there is somebody on the other side of the screen...

Online Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 01:16:54 PM »
I hope it helps you!!!
As I play solo I have everything at home.

That's where I'm really lucky too T. Many years ago I made the command decision that any period I venture into I would produce all the units for both sides. While living in the real world of work, much looked forward to gaming sessions were ruined by so and so plus his Old Guard not turning up at the last moment!
Consequently, if I can get mi' melon around it, Billy-no-Mates gaming's no problem in that department. I'm applying the KISS Principle by using OHW rules for all periods, easily memorised, so you can concentrate on the scenario and storyline. Some great ideas on your blog that I shall be shamelessly nicking... thanks for that!

;)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 05:23:12 PM »
The last time I had a game was 5 years' ago and I have drifted in and out of the hobby for a while as you do when you really don't want to commit to a club.  The current conditions have led a lot of folk to look at Solo as it has many obvious advantages.  My local FLGS Facebook site had some recommendations and I bought Star Wars Imperial Assault and Core Space on recommendations.  I already have Pulp Alley and The Walking Dead and a mass of historical rules.  I have still not had a game but my painting and repurposing of what I have has taken a healthy turn.  Maybe, when the world changes, I may play socially, but, for now, I have a goal.

Thanks for your article, it was thought-provoking!
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 05:51:43 PM »
Nice read.

I've intended to do far more solo gaming this lockdown than I have managed. Both Walking Dead and the new Elder scrolls game have been on my to play list since March. I've managed a few board games but thats about it.

Your article has reminded me I dont own the Pul Alley solo deck so I may pick that up!

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 11:59:20 PM »
That's where I'm really lucky too T. Many years ago I made the command decision that any period I venture into I would produce all the units for both sides. While living in the real world of work, much looked forward to gaming sessions were ruined by so and so plus his Old Guard not turning up at the last moment!
Consequently, if I can get mi' melon around it, Billy-no-Mates gaming's no problem in that department. I'm applying the KISS Principle by using OHW rules for all periods, easily memorised, so you can concentrate on the scenario and storyline. Some great ideas on your blog that I shall be shamelessly nicking... thanks for that!

;)

You hit the jackpot... The rules NEED to be easy so that you can concentrate on the story and the scenario.
That's a main point when dealing with solo wargaming.

The last time I had a game was 5 years' ago and I have drifted in and out of the hobby for a while as you do when you really don't want to commit to a club.  The current conditions have led a lot of folk to look at Solo as it has many obvious advantages.  My local FLGS Facebook site had some recommendations and I bought Star Wars Imperial Assault and Core Space on recommendations.  I already have Pulp Alley and The Walking Dead and a mass of historical rules.  I have still not had a game but my painting and repurposing of what I have has taken a healthy turn.  Maybe, when the world changes, I may play socially, but, for now, I have a goal.

Thanks for your article, it was thought-provoking!

Nice read.

I've intended to do far more solo gaming this lockdown than I have managed. Both Walking Dead and the new Elder scrolls game have been on my to play list since March. I've managed a few board games but thats about it.

Your article has reminded me I dont own the Pul Alley solo deck so I may pick that up!

Both of you already have what you need to play, just need to start at some point...

I would tell you to set a game table, put some scenery and a few zombies, and use the walking dead all out war rules to play a couple scenarios fighting just zombies, or stealth raids to get food from a shop without been noticed by walkers...

After a couple of games you will want more, and you will be already on the move...

That's a good start.

My intention when I started the blog was to encourage people to play wargames solo, and the main aim is to enjoy.

Hope you liked the blog, and I hope it makes you play (at least) a few games.

Online Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 01:57:32 AM »
This is the game where the penny started to drop, playing solo wise. I used the OHW 'chance cards' and they made a big difference.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=127848.0

I'll miss playing with my old mates as we've been at it over 40 years, but all things come to an end some day.
I've bookmarked your blog T, I think you've got something there.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 02:00:17 AM by Harry Faversham »

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 04:52:34 PM »
Yes, I feel somewhat empowered.  I always did periods/games and painted/based in a way that fitted in with others so that I could join games.
The pressure to complete large armies for a particular time has lifted and I don't have to worry about the quality of my painting skills.
I feel, as I suppose I always could have, to go my own way, tinker with scenarios, use whatever rules fit and play with proxy armies.  My only caveat would be that my figures and terrain are all painted, I am Old School that way.
So, thank you for your input.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 04:54:15 PM »
This is the game where the penny started to drop, playing solo wise. I used the OHW 'chance cards' and they made a big difference.

Are these new cards for the solo section instead of the Chance dice rolls?